OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:51:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torre asked to come back, says no thanks  (Read 1147 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: October 18, 2007, 05:51:20 PM »

Interesting. Who knew this is how it would turn out?

Joe Torre, a future Hall of Famer who guided the Yankees to four world championships and six pennants while making the postseason in every one of his 12 seasons at the helm, turned down a one-year contract offer to continue as manager, the team announced on Thursday....

Speculation about a replacement for Torre will most certainly center on bench coach Don Mattingly, former catcher and Marlins manager Joe Girardi, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa and perhaps coaches such as Tony Pena and Larry Bowa.
It'll be interesting to see their decision. I'm especially wanting to see where La Russa ends up. Someone will hire him, that's for certain. Just as long as it's not the Cubs....

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 12:58:38 AM »

Sigh . . . all things must pass away.  Cry Farewell, Joe.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:52:36 AM »

Stand up guy.  Good thing he finally decided not to work for the forces of the Evil Empire.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »

Hey, maybe now he'll come back to the Redbirds.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »

It's the NYY lost...George is a bit whacky...just like he is on Seinfeld, where's my Calzone ?

He needs to hire Kosmo Kramer...a good fit
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:54:26 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:24:09 AM »

First Joe, then A-Rod, now this about Andy Pettitte declining his $16M option with the Yankees:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096412&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 07:53:37 AM »

Well, it appears that he has not permanently said no. Pettite appears to be weighing only retirement or returning to the Yankees, and the Yankees are basically leaving the decision up to him.

Last week, however, Pettitte was still weighing retirement or playing. "It probably wouldn't be real honorable for me not to do anything other than if I shut it down, shut it down or go back and play for the New York Yankees," he told KRIV television....

Cashman said Pettitte called him and they spoke for 10-20 minutes. Pettitte has a standing offer of $16 million he can accept at any time. Cashman wouldn't discuss whether the team would entertain a new deal.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: