Author Topic: Tis Theos Megas  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Seekingthetruth

• Elder Philotheos Zervakos
Tis Theos Megas
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »
LINK: http://realserver.goarch.org/ram/en/music_for_our_souls_pt2.ram
While recently watching a video on Byzantine Music, which is linked above, I was really struck by the beauty of a certain hymn, called "Ton Theos Megas". Does anyone know of a recording of this hymn that is available online? The words are: "What God is as great as our God? You are the God who does wonders." If you want to hear it, click on the above link and skip to 7:57.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 06:10:29 PM by Seekingthetruth »
"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Ton Theos Megas
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
Well, if you're going to ask about it, the title is "Tis Theos Megas" not "Ton Theos."  I'm not sure of any recordings yet, but I would tell you to search for files associated with the day after a major feast, or during an ordination, as it will be chanted around those times.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Seekingthetruth

Re: Ton Theos Megas
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:09:40 PM »
Ah, thank you. I made sure I knew how to spell it before I posted, but for some reason I got it wrong. Thank you Cleveland, mea culpa!
"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."

Offline Seekingthetruth

Re: Tis Theos Megas
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:55:12 PM »
Here's and English version:
http://www.stmaryorthodoxchurch.org/audio/greatprokeimenon.mp3

Very nice recording.  I always get chills when we sing this during Great Lent and on Triumph of Orthodoxy Sunday.
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:10:13 PM »
It is a good recording - close to what I'm used to.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 02:15:33 PM »
I was looking through some old files today and stumbled across this: 
Play track number 9
http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/sreteniye-rachael/

That sounds much more of the style I'm use to from Mt. Athos, to me that previously linked file sounds too overdone. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:15:53 PM by Νεκτάριος »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
Very nice like Nektarios.  Great stuff.