OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 02:43:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tis Theos Megas  (Read 1971 times) Average Rating: 0
Seekingthetruth

Elder Philotheos Zervakos

« on: October 16, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »

LINK: http://realserver.goarch.org/ram/en/music_for_our_souls_pt2.ram
While recently watching a video on Byzantine Music, which is linked above, I was really struck by the beauty of a certain hymn, called "Ton Theos Megas". Does anyone know of a recording of this hymn that is available online? The words are: "What God is as great as our God? You are the God who does wonders." If you want to hear it, click on the above link and skip to 7:57.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 06:10:29 PM by Seekingthetruth » Logged

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »

Well, if you're going to ask about it, the title is "Tis Theos Megas" not "Ton Theos."  I'm not sure of any recordings yet, but I would tell you to search for files associated with the day after a major feast, or during an ordination, as it will be chanted around those times.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:09:40 PM »

Ah, thank you. I made sure I knew how to spell it before I posted, but for some reason I got it wrong. Thank you Cleveland, mea culpa!

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »

Here's and English version:
http://www.stmaryorthodoxchurch.org/audio/greatprokeimenon.mp3

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:55:12 PM »

Very nice recording.  I always get chills when we sing this during Great Lent and on Triumph of Orthodoxy Sunday.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:10:13 PM »

It is a good recording - close to what I'm used to.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 02:15:33 PM »

I was looking through some old files today and stumbled across this: 
Play track number 9
http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/sreteniye-rachael/

That sounds much more of the style I'm use to from Mt. Athos, to me that previously linked file sounds too overdone. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:15:53 PM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »

Very nice like Nektarios.  Great stuff.

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: