Author Topic: Children?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Robert

• "Amazing"
  • Archon
Children?
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
So maybe we've beaten a dead horse on this topic, but I can't recall via memory or search whether or not the specific question I have has been answered.

If an Orthodox Christian has no desire for children whatsoever, does that mean he/she has no business getting married? 

Robert

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Children?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »
I don't know.  In SVS's publication of St. John Chrysostom's sermons on marriage, he states very clearly that procreation is not the primary focus of marriage anymore, but rather the salvation of the couple.  But that doesn't specifically address your question.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
So maybe we've beaten a dead horse on this topic, but I can't recall via memory or search whether or not the specific question I have has been answered.

If an Orthodox Christian has no desire for children whatsoever, does that mean he/she has no business getting married? 

Robert

I think there is a discussion on this site (the Family forum?) in the past couple of months with 80+% relevance.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:12:03 PM »
This may be the thread you are referring to:

Childfree Orthodox Christians
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12395.0.html
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Robert

• "Amazing"
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »
thank you.