Author Topic: Children?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Robert

• "Amazing"
  • Archon
Children?
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
So maybe we've beaten a dead horse on this topic, but I can't recall via memory or search whether or not the specific question I have has been answered.

If an Orthodox Christian has no desire for children whatsoever, does that mean he/she has no business getting married? 

Robert

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Children?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »
I don't know.  In SVS's publication of St. John Chrysostom's sermons on marriage, he states very clearly that procreation is not the primary focus of marriage anymore, but rather the salvation of the couple.  But that doesn't specifically address your question.
"If you are going to serve the Lord, be prepared for times when you will be put to the test. Be sincere and determined. Keep calm when trouble comes. Stay with the Lord; never abandon Him and you will be prosperous at the end of your days. Accept whatever happens to you. Even if you suffer humiliation, be patient. Gold is tested by fire and human character is tested in the furnace of humiliation. Trust the Lord and He will help you. Walk straight in His ways and put your hope in Him. " Sir 2:1-6

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
So maybe we've beaten a dead horse on this topic, but I can't recall via memory or search whether or not the specific question I have has been answered.

If an Orthodox Christian has no desire for children whatsoever, does that mean he/she has no business getting married? 

Robert

I think there is a discussion on this site (the Family forum?) in the past couple of months with 80+% relevance.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:12:03 PM »
This may be the thread you are referring to:

Childfree Orthodox Christians
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12395.0.html
"If you are going to serve the Lord, be prepared for times when you will be put to the test. Be sincere and determined. Keep calm when trouble comes. Stay with the Lord; never abandon Him and you will be prosperous at the end of your days. Accept whatever happens to you. Even if you suffer humiliation, be patient. Gold is tested by fire and human character is tested in the furnace of humiliation. Trust the Lord and He will help you. Walk straight in His ways and put your hope in Him. " Sir 2:1-6

Offline Robert

• "Amazing"
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »
thank you.