OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 02:24:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NACOD  (Read 700 times) Average Rating: 0
Brendan03
High Elder

« on: May 28, 2003, 02:19:02 PM »

Does anyone have any information about what is going on at this year's meeting of the NACOD (North American Catholic-Orthodox Dialogue), which is taking place this week, I believe?

Brendan

B
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 03:05:27 PM »

Dear Brendan:

I have tried accessing both the USCCB and SCOBA (www.goarch.org) websites but failed in either site to get the Agenda for this the 64th meeting of NACOD. (BTW, I just made up this acronym when I responded to a post regarding the on-going sessions of the Catholic-Orthodox dialogues in THAT other board.)  The official name of the group is the North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation, which was established in 1965, and meets semi-annually, i.e., twice a year: May-June and October-November.

The agenda for a meeting can be gleaned from the summary report covering the previous meeting, which set the schedules for the succeeding meeting.  The group alternates in hosting the other: this current meeting is hosted by the Orthodox; the last was hosted by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, the first meeting of the group to be held in Canada.

From the summary report for the Consultation's 63rd Meeting in Canada, it was stated that:

The main focus of this meeting was a continued examination of the filioque question. The original version of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed that dates from the 4th century and is still used by the Orthodox states that the Holy Spirit "proceeds from the Father." The word filioque ("and from the Son") was later added to the Latin version of this Creed used in the West, so that the phrase would read that the Holy Spirit "proceeds from the Father and the Son." This modification appeared in some areas of western Europe as early as the 5th century but was accepted in Rome only in the 11th century. This change in the wording of the Creed and the underlying variations in understanding the origin and procession of the Holy Spirit within the Trinity have long been considered a church-dividing issue between our two communions. The Consultation has been studying this question since 1999 in the hope of eventually releasing an agreed statement. During the first session of this meeting two papers were presented: "The Council of Constantinople, 879-880," by Dr. Robert Hadad, and "The Status of the Councils of II Lyons and Florence in Modern Catholic Thought," by Father John Long, SJ. Two other sessions were devoted to discussion of the first draft of a prospective agreed statement. . .

. . .The next meeting of the Consultation is scheduled to take place from May 27 to 29, 2003, at St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary in Crestwood, New York.
[/b]

The Consultation works in tandem with the Joint Committee of Orthodox and Catholic Bishops which has been meeting annually since 1981.

Hope this helps.

Amado

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: