OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 03:24:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of Pets and Creatures are/been part of your life ?  (Read 6255 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »

The young slender female cat that I mentioned earlier in this thread died in January 2008. Now, we have her "reincarnation": a very young female Calico kitten. She is a dynamite. Roams arond like a cavalry battalion. Plays with everything and everyone. Loves to bite people.  Embarrassed

Love never fails.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 12:38:10 PM »

I'm sorry for your loss. The new kitten sounds like quite a lot of fun. Except for the biting. Perhaps with age, that will subside.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »

Cute kitten, Heorhij! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

In 2004, I purchased a teacup Yorkie (as a gift for someone else, argghhh) from a NYC pet store.  The dog loves me far more than the people she presently lives with - except that I am not much of a pet person.  Four years later, the dog doesn't weigh more than 4 lbs and she once ran away only to be found sleeping between 2 Rottweilers without harm.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »

We've had four cats and one dog:

The first was Emmanuel, who lived to be 24. She had a strange habit of dangling her body over the back of a chair and going to sleep, or viciously attacking the chive plant in the back year. Eventually, we had to put her to sleep.

Concurrently with her was Chutney, a Maine Coon. My parents adopted him when they lived in the mountains, and he would regularly hunt red squirrels, and once ended up killing a fox. One of the nicest creatures when dealing with humans, though, and lived to be 17.

Then there was Darby, and angry Maine Coon and Tabby mix. Didn't like visitors much, and became VERY grumpy in his later years because of his severe arthritis which prevented him from cleaning himself. Most likely a result of leaping of the roof of the house when he was a kitten, aiming for the railing on the porch below, missing it, and falling about 20 feet. And starting at precisely 10pm each night, he would go into the bathroom and scream at the water pipe under the sink until midnight, and then go to bed. Cheesy

The dog, Penny, was a beagle who got along with all of the cats. Would conclude each day with a perimeter check of the yard. Died a few months ago at 15.

Currently our only pet is Rocky, another Maine Coon. Shy, but best friends with Penny, and refused to leave her dead body until we got home that afternoon. After we buried her in the back yard, he wouldn't leave the grave for a full day.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »

^^Cute video!

My Presbytera

This is a greek word. Although the wives of priests we also call them "papadia". I always wondered why though. "papadia" sounds like a tree. And it bugs me when it's refered to human beings.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »

I had a black labrador retriever dog named Sam when I was about 9 to 11 that used to come with me everywhere, but then I had to give him up because he developed a skin condition and I couldn't afford to treat him. I own a lot of birds--parakeets, finches, etc. they are probably my favorite pet. I like to hand train them. Finally, I had a beagle named Pippy for a year or two but then she ran away when my dad forgot to close the back gate. As of right now, I'm probably going to be getting a good old lazy greyhound dog very soon.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »

2 cats. Both are brats. But I love them so much. I've especially been through a lot with Smokey.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »

A hen or two when I was a kid. Plus some goats. Now I really like some of the cats but don't own any.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »

I've never owned a pet (yay, rented apartments with tough policies), but I'm a cat person to a degree that's not even funny. I've always been the one trying to pet and feed every cat I met, and they returned the fondness. My first boyfriend, who had two gorgeous golden-blond tabbies, said that their approval would be crucial in the development of our relationship. (I got it, although they remained rather aloof.)

My son is going the same way. At the age of 2, he managed to pet the neighbour's cat, an ancient curmudgeon who avoided kids like the plague. His sister had tried all her life, and never succeeded. Grin The boy loves all furry, responsive animals, really - he'd pet anything that didn't run away from him. I'm working on curbing his enthusiasm, because approaching them squealing and flailing will make them run away. laugh

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 01:23:46 AM »

I've never owned a pet (yay, rented apartments with tough policies), but I'm a cat person to a degree that's not even funny. I've always been the one trying to pet and feed every cat I met, and they returned the fondness. My first boyfriend, who had two gorgeous golden-blond tabbies, said that their approval would be crucial in the development of our relationship. (I got it, although they remained rather aloof.)

My son is going the same way. At the age of 2, he managed to pet the neighbour's cat, an ancient curmudgeon who avoided kids like the plague. His sister had tried all her life, and never succeeded. Grin The boy loves all furry, responsive animals, really - he'd pet anything that didn't run away from him. I'm working on curbing his enthusiasm, because approaching them squealing and flailing will make them run away. laugh
With a username like yours, I would think you'd have a pet spider. Grin
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 01:27:58 AM »

I've owned goldfish, various tropical freshwater fish, cats, a dog, hermit crabs, hamsters, and rats.
I also took care of a guinea pig for a really log time.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2013, 01:29:36 AM »

I've had 2 dogs, 2 cats (3 if you count a stray we took in, but that wasn't really mine), a couple hamsters, and probably some other odds and ends. I miss hamsters.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2013, 01:33:34 AM »

My brother has a cat that will kill just about anything it can and, in most cases, will even eat what it kills. My brother likes how his cat keeps the rodent population in his rural residence pretty much non-existent but doesn't particularly care for watching the cat dismember a sparrow in the living room. Tongue
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2013, 01:42:52 AM »

Oh, and I forgot that I had a couple parakeets  angel

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2013, 03:01:38 AM »

Dogs, dogs, dogs all my life, with a smattering of cats and fish, plus a budgie or two.  The tropical fish, both fresh and salt water, were wonderful to keep--so soothing and calming to watch; but they required constant care, no trips without a baby sitter!

We currently have a cat who has several names: one granddaughter calls her Socks (grey tiger cat with four white feet), while another g'daughter calls her Rosie (from the Twilight movies).  I call her Killer, because of what she does to, and with, the local rodent population.  She usually eats them and leaves the heads and tails under my Jeep.  As for dogs, we have had everything from German Shepherds to poodles to a rescue dalmation/pointer mix and right now a Shih Tzu. 

I gotta say that the Shih Tzu has been the best companion and pal; Pepper is a real buddy, calm and affectionate, and cute as a bug.  This is a super breed and very easy to train and live with.  Plus they are great dogs in an over-55 community, well accepted here in Wrinkle Village.....
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2013, 03:14:25 AM »

Dogs, dogs, dogs all my life, with a smattering of cats and fish, plus a budgie or two.  The tropical fish, both fresh and salt water, were wonderful to keep--so soothing and calming to watch; but they required constant care, no trips without a baby sitter!

We currently have a cat who has several names: one granddaughter calls her Socks (grey tiger cat with four white feet), while another g'daughter calls her Rosie (from the Twilight movies).  I call her Killer, because of what she does to, and with, the local rodent population.  She usually eats them and leaves the heads and tails under my Jeep.  As for dogs, we have had everything from German Shepherds to poodles to a rescue dalmation/pointer mix and right now a Shih Tzu. 

I gotta say that the Shih Tzu has been the best companion and pal; Pepper is a real buddy, calm and affectionate, and cute as a bug.  This is a super breed and very easy to train and live with.  Plus they are great dogs in an over-55 community, well accepted here in Wrinkle Village.....
I suppose a Shar Pei would be pretty welcome in Wrinkle Village, too. Wink
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2013, 05:50:37 AM »

With a username like yours, I would think you'd have a pet spider. Grin

I don't care for tarantulas and the other fancy pet-grade spiders, but throughout autumn I can sit and watch the field spiders in the garden work for hours. They're feral, though. Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »

I suppose a Shar Pei would be pretty welcome in Wrinkle Village, too. Wink
[/quote]
Peter:
Oh  definitely!  Shar Pei and Maltese both make great little buddies and mixes of all three breeds are popular.   One friend has a mini pincher that it thinks it's a full size Doberman - real attitude. There are a few larger dogs, a golden retriever or two, but we do like the smaller dogs...smaller loads to pick up!! Shocked
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2013, 01:06:38 AM »

A little brother, about 9 or 10 years old (I forgot) and a toddler sister of about 2 years old who is ALWAYS hungry.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags: pets endangered species animals cats dogs 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: