OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:15:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of Pets and Creatures are/been part of your life ?  (Read 5970 times) Average Rating: 0
Jakub
Archon

« on: October 14, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »

Thought this might be interesting...currently my wife and I have 3 dogs and 4 cats, most notable a pitbull and chihuahua, and a russian blue cat.

I've been hinting for another aquarium for years, been into tropical fish since I were 7...pert ner 49 years.

What say y'all...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:48:17 PM »

Thought this might be interesting...currently my wife and I have 3 dogs and 4 cats, most notable a pitbull and chihuahua, and a russian blue cat.

I've been hinting for another aquarium for years, been into tropical fish since I were 7...pert ner 49 years.

What say y'all...
I'd say sounds like y'all got a pettin' zoo and could charge the neighborhood kids to come over... Wink

I recently bought a 30gal tank.  What kinds of fish do you recommend?  Since I'm in school and work 40 hrs per, I need something that doesn't require a lot of fuss... Thanks in advance.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:23:51 AM »

Jibrail,

Depends on what you like, color, size, live bearers or egg layers etc...

I would start with some neon tetras, zebra danios, I prefer black angelfish, some small corydora catfish etc. You want a peaceful tank with color & movement.

If you want a few fish that are hardy try a couple of small oscars, red & gold would be good, they start with mealworms, guppies to goldfish or try the many small colorful african cichlids...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:37:58 AM »

I have to say that the pets to which I developed the strongest attachments were the two hamsters for which I cared personally.  The first, a golden Syrian hamster with a white midsection and what looked like a gold cross on his back, I named Bucky.  He died of old age. 

Several months later I acquired a brown Syrian hamster female, whom I named Amber.  She died prematurely of what I think was wet-tail disease, a possible consequence of her stupid habit of peeing in her own bed--most hamsters are smart enough to use a secluded corner of their cages as a urinal.  Amber taught me a very valuable lesson about hamsters: they can be great escape artists.  She found out how to chew her way out of her cage and make it hard for us to find her in the house.  We found ultimately that, through a series of falls into inescapable holes in the floor and other such drops, she had made her way all the way down to the basement furnace--fortunately for her, we had no need for indoor heating at the time.  When I finally found her in the furnace, what was she doing?  She was doing what any good hamster will do; she was running the furnace's turbine wheel.  Maybe it was for this reason that she never used her own wheel after I returned her to her cage--too many bad memories.

Both hamsters are now buried in my back yard.

The next time I acquire a rodent for a pet, it'll be a rat--they're smarter and more sociable with humans, and pet rats can actually be very clean animals, not at all like their bubonic-plague-carrying cousins.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:49:14 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:23:31 AM »

I have to say that the pets to which I developed the strongest attachments were the two hamsters for which I cared personally. 
I hear Richard Gere is fond of hamsters.  I wonder if the Dalai Lama enjoys them too?  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:31:24 AM »

I hear Richard Gere is fond of hamsters.  I wonder if the Dalai Lama enjoys them too?  Wink
Are you suggesting, then, that if a couple of Buddhists are fond of hamsters, then I, an Orthodox Christian, should not be?  I thought you had a greater appreciation for Buddhism than that. Wink
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 06:52:05 AM »

Had a cat for around 17 years.  Currently there are no pets here, except when my brother brings his black lab around.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 08:40:13 AM »

Mr. Y and I have two cats:  One grey tabby and one snowshoe Siamese, both toms.  There's something about a cat that's very dignified yet silly.  They act like they're too proper to do tricks and then they fall off the back of the couch. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:22:23 AM »

I've had cats, dogs, ducks, chickens, cows, turtles, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, fish, and pigs (that I remember).

I miss the pig I got for my 9th birthday. He was just a tiny little thing when I got him, but he eventually got very large. I called him Digger because he would run about our yard digging up holes. He grew to be very close to our Siberian huskie. Digger would often slip out of his pen at night, and in the morning we'd find him sleeping in the doghouse next to the dog. Sometimes Digger's arm would be wrapped around the dog, providing my mother with many photo opportunities.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 10:42:12 AM »

3 English Bulldogs and six cats.  And some fish that met an unfortunate demise.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 04:37:13 PM »

Mr. PhosZoe and I are the proud humans to Sasha, a mostly mellow black and white tom cat. In addition to eating, cleaning himself and throwing up on expensive carpets his new hobby is attacking the mail.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=phoszoe

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »

^^Cute video!

My Presbytera is deathly allergic to anything with fur, which is a bit of a problem since I had been used to having several animal friends in my home prior to marriage.

However, we have had several fish and at least one pet crab in the aquarium, all given LoTR names...(where's Ebor? She'll be posting soon after my cunning laying out of bait for her....)  Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »

My favorite pets are rats.  I have had over a dozen of them in the past few years.  I currently have three rats, two mice, and a squirrel.  My wife may be bringing home a Chinchilla today.  I used to have these as pets when I was much younger.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 11:01:45 PM »

And some fish that met an unfortunate demise.
Cat food?
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 01:19:02 AM »

Clorox.   Sad

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 01:40:58 AM »

This might be relevant but are there any Saints that are associated with there pets?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 02:12:44 AM »

This might be relevant but are there any Saints that are associated with there pets?
Well, there's St. Herman of Alaska who had a "pet" bull.  The saint left in his vocal Will that, after he died, the locals were to kill his bull.  They refused to do so, so the bull ran headlong into a tree and did the job himself.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 09:25:28 AM »

St. Gerasimos (Gerasim) had a pet lion called Iordanes (Jordan).

Here's my own menagerie:

My Cats, Charcoal and Sketch. Sketch is Orthodox, because he wont eat his dinner unless the vigil lamp in front of the Icon of St. Paraskevi in the living room is lit (a habit from when they were kittens). Charcoal is probably Unitarian- he'll eat any time:

One of my God-Children, Tatiana, holding parliament with my donkeys, Bailey and Billy:

Tatiana's way of feeding the chickens- just open the feed shed and let them help themselves:

My Peacock, Roger, sitting on top of the Chicken Pen. Roger is named after a pretentious friend of mine in Adelaide who, like my Peacock, is all show and display with no actual substance:

Some of my bees from my beehive. Form top left we have: Alice, Kathy, Christine, Margaret, Meg, Peggy.....

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 09:40:58 AM »

We've always kept a menagerie of pets but now we keep children.  At any one time we have over the years kept the following (deep breath):

8 cats
4 dogs
One 3 foot cayman (he loved great big rats)
2 San Esteban Isl. Iguanas
2 green cheek amazon parrots
1 nanday conure
2 canaries
1 giant dutch rabbit
1 kangaroo rat
Asst. plain old rats
Freshwater & saltwater aquariums (300 gal, 180, 135, 90, 75, 65, 45, 29, 20, all set up at once)
White's dumpy tree frogs
Argentine horned frogs
Softshell turtle
snapping turtle
hermit crabs

My husband and I started this obsession when we worked a big hobbyist pet store in college, and various other stores and pet wholesalers after college.  The college store was the greatest job I ever had in my life.   My short term memory of those days is limited, but it was exciting because we were all real hobbyist who could indulge our fish mania with the liberal employee discounts and downright thievery.  

It's really strange in our house now because since we had kids, the pets have dwindled due to the high cost of vet care and pet supplies, and not enough time (I actually said when I was pregnant with my first "raising kids can't be any more difficult than puppies".  I've never lived that one down.)  Now we only have a couple of aquariums, 1 dog, 1 cat and some hermit crabs.  I'd like to get more aquariums up and some small reptiles for the kids, but they are going to have to be older than 5 and 7 yo to help out.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »

OzGeorge - you have some really cool pets.  Don't know why, but I've always wanted to keep chickens.  Must be a throwback to childhood weekends spent on my oma and opa's farm.  Donkeys are beautiful but not so easy to keep in a suburban yard.  Do they do any carriage work?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »

I'm glad to see Tatiana seperated from the donkeys by a fence...one of my hospital/sick calls today will be to a child who is suffering from a donkey bite!

(I know....only in Alabama and Australia, I guess...)  Wink
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 10:34:48 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »

Currently we have more animals than we have ever had at one time.  Our petting zoo consists of 3 cats, 1 dog and 6 guinea pigs. 

Yup.  6.  We started out with two.  Giovanni and Vincenzo.  Well ... a few months later and Vinnie is now Isabella and is the proud mom of 4.

The humans are out numbered.

Though I'd love to have chickens and even a donkey (but then I live in Alabama, right Fr. Chris?  Grin).

Carole
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 11:00:30 AM »

^^Cute video!

My Presbytera is deathly allergic to anything with fur, which is a bit of a problem since I had been used to having several animal friends in my home prior to marriage.

Ooh how difficult.  I'm sure you've tried everything, but what about one of the hypo-allergenic cats (Sphynx perhaps.  Ugly as sin but no hair).  Are birds ok?  A big cockatoo or amazon parrot can be incredibly loving (and needy, so you need to spend a lot of time with them).

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »

Two cats, one old fat male and one younger slender female. Both US citizens (the male born in Seattle and the female in Mississippi), but Ukrainian speakers. English to them is a sign of a hostile invasion, possibly invasion of cat-eaters.

Love never fails.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »

Some of my bees from my beehive. Form top left we have: Alice, Kathy, Christine, Margaret, Meg, Peggy.....

Are you having the problem of massive dieing off your bees or is that just a North American thing? 
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 03:26:35 AM »

I have a beautiful golden haired Alaskan Malamute. Best dogs ever if you have allergies or hate barking!

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 04:27:32 AM »

When I was in high school, a creek marked the northern boundary of my grandma's property.  Hence, we had a good population of ducks, mostly mallards, that liked to frequent our yard.  Grandma always made sure we fed the ducks every morning, and she would also pay close attention to their eggs during the laying season.  Many of the eggs we ate, but we also left enough to allow for ducklings.  Quite often during the laying season, Grandma would also pen a mother hen up with her brood to protect the ducklings from predators; of course, Grandma would often have to fight the very strong maternal instinct of these hens, an instinct that made a hen fiercely protective of her young and willing to fight anyone she felt was a threat, including Grandma.  I guess we could call the ducks pets, though they roamed the town up and down this creek.  We also had a few dogs, a few cats, and even some parakeets and a cockatiel, until he flew away one day, never to be seen again.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 07:34:09 AM »

Donkeys are beautiful but not so easy to keep in a suburban yard.  Do they do any carriage work?
I have a very steep block of land before it flattens out onto an easement. Bailey and Billy often carry stuff for me up the slope such as compost and manure to the upper garden or rocks to build dry walls for the terraced gardens.

Are you having the problem of massive dieing off your bees or is that just a North American thing? 
The two major killers of bees (American Foul Brood and Chalk Brood) haven't reached Australia yet. There is a beetle which attacks beehives in Australia, but it is easily treated because God created it to be quite stupid. The beetle likes dark, enclosed spaces (which is why it gets into beehives), but if it finds a smaller dark space in the beehive, it will enter it. So Australian apiarists keep a very simple trap in their beehives consisting of a small, dark container half filled with oil with a little opening for the beetle to enter (which then falls into the oil and can't get out).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 07:37:28 PM »

Ooh how difficult.  I'm sure you've tried everything, but what about one of the hypo-allergenic cats (Sphynx perhaps.  Ugly as sin but no hair). 

Too true!  That's the variety in my current avatar.  Ugly creatures, and I love all manner of cats.  Most people are allergic to an enzyme in the cat's saliva, though.  The furrier the cat the more saliva present on the coat so a hairless cat does cut down on allergens but the saliva is still there. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:41:01 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »

Those are some great pictures, OzGeorge.  I'm sure the chickens approve of the "self-serve" feeding.  Cheesy

My family had a cat, then a dog when I was a kid along with a fish and a turtle at some point.  I'm very fond of cats. But both of ours have passed on.  One was a 'retired' male with no front claws (he came that way, moving in with us as a stray) who could buffalo large dogs and take out a 2 foot Black Snake.  I once saw a 'teen-aged' dalmation bounce up to him on the lawn thinking that he would run.  Jonnie just stood there looking at him.  The dog barked once and the cat fluffed his fur just a bit.  Dog: "Woof??"  Jonnie decided that measures had to be taken and took one step forward.  Dalmation decides that he's needed elsewhere... quickly.

The other was a quiet old 'maiden lady' cat who, because she didn't go looking for excitement lived to be around 22.  The one odd thing she did was in her last year she went into a bit of "second kittenhood" and started hunting the wild rabbits that sometimes ate things in the garden.  She even caught some and brought them to me.... alive.  I had never heard a rabbit make a noise before that. They scream.  It was quite eerie.

When our daughter was around 2-3 she wanted a dog, saying "We get a bloodhound.  He will be "Carl".  Me: "What if it's a girl dog?"  Her: "Carl is good".

We don't have a dog yet, and I miss our cats.  Someday....

Ebor

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2007, 06:17:44 PM »

I had never heard a rabbit make a noise before that. They scream.  It was quite eerie.

Yes, indeed...in me it causes a mix of pity and horror when that happens. I could never have a rabbit as a pet because of the 'scream' they make when they are cornered by a hungry predator, and the rabbit herself realizes her time is approaching.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 01:36:14 AM »

Yes, indeed...in me it causes a mix of pity and horror when that happens. I could never have a rabbit as a pet because of the 'scream' they make when they are cornered by a hungry predator, and the rabbit herself realizes her time is approaching.
I watched a few videos recently in which the rabbit screamed while in the death wrap of a python.  I also remember that one video where the snake failed in her bid to catch a rabbit and ended up being chased into a tree by that rabbit, who had become quite enraged at the thought that the snake wanted to eat him.

"Of course you realize, dis means war."  - Bugs Bunny
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 06:08:50 PM »

Follow!  But! follow only if ye be men of valor, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived!  Bones of four fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty big pointy teeth.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 06:13:52 PM by EofK » Logged

Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 07:57:49 PM »

Proud owner of a Pit Bull.  She was a rescue and we've had her for 10 years.
Not to be outdone by George's Orthodox cat, she is a (Carpatho-Russian) Orthodox dog.
For those not familiar with Carpatho-Rusyn tradition, the candles blessed in church on the feast of the Meeting of our Lord (February 2) besides being lit for the Holy Supper on Christmas Eve, the Jordan house blessing, and when someone in the household is sick or has died, they are also lit during severe thunder storms (for which reason they are commonly referred to as "hromnitza").
When there is a thunderstorm, the dog will make her way to the icon corner in the dining room and will stand looking at the icon until I take down the "hromnitza" and light it.  Then she will lay down in the corner until the storm is over and the candle is blown out.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 12:33:20 AM »

I know it sounds gruesome but that's why it's best to kill feeder rats and mice and rabbits before they're fed to snakes.  Snakes can actually get really bad injuries from the desperate bite of their live food.   If the snake misses and makes a sloppy strike at the feeder animal and grabs them without immediately squishing them, it gives the prey a few seconds to fight back.  This all depends, however, on whether you've acclimated your snake to accept freshly killed food.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »

What say y'all...

Guess you can tell from my avatar.....when I was a teenager, I kept large new-world Cichlids in aquaria.  (For those not in the know, the Cichlids are a large family of freshwater fish native to the Americas, Africa and parts of Asia.  One or two species tolerate or need some salt in their water.)  Cichlid owners are notorious for insisting that their pets are intelligent.  I was no exception.  Just love those Oscars, Jack Demseys, Texas Cichlids etc.  Of course, they do tend to be rather pugnacious.....not good fish for a community tank!

By the by, did you know that among the fish caught by the apostles in the "sea" of Galilee (which is actually a freshwater lake), a dominant or perhaps the dominant species was a cichlid?  It's traditionally believed to be the fish that Peter extracted the money to pay tax from at one point in the gospels, so it's called "Saint Peter's Fish."  It's a kind of tilapia. 

I love dogs.  I had a few growing up.  Right now, I just content myself with hanging out with friends' dogs.    I like cats too; used to have one.  I've also had white rats and guinea pigs, an African Aquatic Frog, and African/Asian Cichlids.  Oh yeah, I really liked those Corydora and Plecostomos catfish too!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 12:29:58 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »

We've always kept a menagerie of pets but now we keep children.  At any one time we have over the years kept the following (deep breath):

8 cats
4 dogs
One 3 foot cayman (he loved great big rats)
2 San Esteban Isl. Iguanas
2 green cheek amazon parrots
1 nanday conure
2 canaries
1 giant dutch rabbit
1 kangaroo rat
Asst. plain old rats
Freshwater & saltwater aquariums (300 gal, 180, 135, 90, 75, 65, 45, 29, 20, all set up at once)
White's dumpy tree frogs
Argentine horned frogs
Softshell turtle
snapping turtle
hermit crabs

My husband and I started this obsession when we worked a big hobbyist pet store in college, and various other stores and pet wholesalers after college.  The college store was the greatest job I ever had in my life.   My short term memory of those days is limited, but it was exciting because we were all real hobbyist who could indulge our fish mania with the liberal employee discounts and downright thievery.  

It's really strange in our house now because since we had kids, the pets have dwindled due to the high cost of vet care and pet supplies, and not enough time (I actually said when I was pregnant with my first "raising kids can't be any more difficult than puppies".  I've never lived that one down.)  Now we only have a couple of aquariums, 1 dog, 1 cat and some hermit crabs.  I'd like to get more aquariums up and some small reptiles for the kids, but they are going to have to be older than 5 and 7 yo to help out.

Wow.  I bet you had lots of cichlids in the aquaria?

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 12:58:22 PM »

Wow.  I bet you had lots of cichlids in the aquaria?

Actually I can only remember one time we had a tank set up with traditional Tanganika or Malawi cichlids.  Cichlid lovers are a unique bunch of folks.  I could never remember all the names and subspecies and distinguish them apart.  I kept a lot of South American stuff (Arawanas and all the big fish and S. American cichlids, or big mixed tetra tanks), specialty Asians (Archers, loaches, Asian Arawanas before they were declared endangered, etc, or all the community fish).  I went through all the varieties of saltwater fish, but never kept the real elaborate living reef tanks.  Very expensive and the technology wasn't really good enough to keep corals alive back in the late 80's early 90's.  Now I have a real ethical dilemma with saltwater fishkeeping considering the environmental consequences of the fish trade.  If at all possible I'd like to keep farm raised fish or know where my fish are coming from and how they were caught and kept.

I have actually a lot of guilt from my many years in pet stores.  I have knowingly sold puppy mill dogs, cyanide caught fish, threatened and endangered reptile and fish species, and even if I did everything I could to educate customers, the mortality rates between capture, shipping and that home tank or cage were appalling.  The pet business is bottom line, driven by death.  Now everyone go home and hug your pet today. 

Just call me Little Mary Sunshine.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »

Cichlid lovers are a unique bunch of folks. 

You better believe it!   Wink  haha.

Now I have a real ethical dilemma with saltwater fishkeeping considering the environmental consequences of the fish trade.  If at all possible I'd like to keep farm raised fish or know where my fish are coming from and how they were caught and kept.

You are right.

I have actually a lot of guilt from my many years in pet stores.  I have knowingly sold puppy mill dogs, cyanide caught fish, threatened and endangered reptile and fish species, and even if I did everything I could to educate customers, the mortality rates between capture, shipping and that home tank or cage were appalling.  The pet business is bottom line, driven by death.  Now everyone go home and hug your pet today. 

Very important points, I think.

Right now, in Ontario, we have a real problem with threatened reptiles......unfortunately, I am sure that many of them are (locally) doomed.  For example, this might sound funny to you, but in Ontario, the Lake Erie region population of Black Rat Snakes (Elaphe obsoleta) are really on the edge of disappearing forever.  I gather they are quite common throughout much of the Eastern U.S., and sold as pets.   I really like BRS.....probably my favourite snake. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:22:03 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 04:52:54 PM »

Right now, in Ontario, we have a real problem with threatened reptiles......unfortunately, I am sure that many of them are (locally) doomed.  For example, this might sound funny to you, but in Ontario, the Lake Erie region population of Black Rat Snakes (Elaphe obsoleta) are really on the edge of disappearing forever.  I gather they are quite common throughout much of the Eastern U.S., and sold as pets.   I really like BRS.....probably my favourite snake. 

That's interesting and they are really pretty.  A quick internet search shows that the BRS is protected by law in several midwestern states.  Is the Lake Erie population of BRS declining because of the pet trade or some other cause?  I'm not real informed about the reptile trade now, but from the Herp shows I've been to, captive bred is the norm.  I wonder if it's breeders who are collecting or urbanization that's causing lack of food and habitat.  One thing that is collected in Texas and the Southwest (by crazies) are the various species of rattlesnakes.  I used to know a reptile guy who got busted by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. for having several specimens of Rock Rattlers.  His snakes got confiscated and he got a big fine and probation.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »

That's interesting and they are really pretty.  A quick internet search shows that the BRS is protected by law in several midwestern states.  Is the Lake Erie population of BRS declining because of the pet trade or some other cause?  I'm not real informed about the reptile trade now, but from the Herp shows I've been to, captive bred is the norm.  I wonder if it's breeders who are collecting or urbanization that's causing lack of food and habitat.  One thing that is collected in Texas and the Southwest (by crazies) are the various species of rattlesnakes.  I used to know a reptile guy who got busted by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. for having several specimens of Rock Rattlers.  His snakes got confiscated and he got a big fine and probation.

The Lake Erie BRS (I should be more specific and say that by this population I mean animals found between Lakes Erie and Huron, and those found on the north shore of Lake Erie) are threatened because of habitat loss, road mortality, and somewhat by the hostile reaction of people to snakes in general, as far as I know.  I don't know how much the illegal pet trade is a factor in relation to the decline of this snake as of late, though certainly it has been a consideration in the past.  The herps shows that I've been at use captive animals too.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2007, 07:00:32 PM »

I'm at that age of having a tank full of zebra & pearl danios, neon & cardinal tetras, my own fancy fantail guppies mix and 6 corydora leopard cats...color & motion

Need a cat proof room...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2007, 01:03:20 AM »

Jibrail,

As someone who's helped raise ducks, I find your signature line very appropo.  LOL! Cheesy

I find that a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have any bread.-Mitch Hedberg
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:04:36 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2007, 02:32:28 AM »

3 -miniture pincher's 4 month old ,2 males 1 female and, 1 pit bull german sherpard mix named lily ..the little ones are a handful though their litter box trained ,,litter every were ..2 of the pincher's  chocolate brown and light  brown .The other is black and brown great animals ..lily i swear she understands everthing i say to her,she's so smart  ........stashko laugh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
cre8ivmind

Faith: Protestant, but interested in Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: non-denominational

St. Francis of Assisi

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »

My favorite pets are rats.  I have had over a dozen of them in the past few years.  I currently have three rats, two mice, and a squirrel.  My wife may be bringing home a Chinchilla today.  I used to have these as pets when I was much younger.

It's cool you have a squirrel.  Do you know what kind?  I have 5 flying squirrels and a Prevost's squirrel.
Tags: pets endangered species animals cats dogs 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: