OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 12:54:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr. Spock  (Read 6191 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »

I remember now that he was later given the Japanese first name Hikaru. So I think he's supposed to be half-Japanese, half-Filipino, which is unlikely given animosity from WWII.

Perhaps Mr. Gene wanted that to be a metaphor regarding his intention for the future of the world: a reconciliation of tensions from his (and our) present day is needed to steer the Enterprise into a glorious future.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 02:27:10 PM »

Star Trek--Original Series: Where no pixel has gone before

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »

4AM Sunday morning in Cleveland.... AARGH!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2007, 10:01:44 PM »

We've got our Chekov. Bonus: he's actually Russian.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2007, 11:52:18 PM »

Wow. Y'all really are a bunch of nerds. How many pens can y'all fit in your shirt pockets? Kiss

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 12:00:21 AM »

Wow. Y'all really are a bunch of nerds. How many pens can y'all fit in your shirt pockets? Kiss

Well it's a trade off:

With my pocket protector: six 'common' size pens, arranged in Roy G. Biv order if multiple colors are present. Mechanical pencils will be at the 'V' end of the pocket, while mechanical erasers will be placed at the 'R' side of the pocket.

Without a pocket protector: I can fit up to 8 without excessive crowding. Crowding is bad, since it may cause the pens to not line up in order in a straight line, as may also result in me picking the wrong color pen (always a problem since I like to color-code my notes in meetings, etc).

However, if I only use pens then I will have to forego any other gadgets I may have, such as screwdrivers or a short, triangular multiple scale ruler used for drawing.

Yes, I was an engineer before I was a priest. And no, you don't want to learn what I must do to organize and categorize my food before I eat it!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:01:08 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »

Wow. Y'all really are a bunch of nerds.

What are you getting at? Nerds have a weird idea about what is entertaining? Never!

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »

What are you getting at? Nerds have a weird idea about what is entertaining? Never!

Thank you for resurrecting that clip.  That and the liquid heat bit - pure movie gold.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »

Well it's a trade off:

With my pocket protector: six 'common' size pens, arranged in Roy G. Biv order if multiple colors are present. Mechanical pencils will be at the 'V' end of the pocket, while mechanical erasers will be placed at the 'R' side of the pocket.

Without a pocket protector: I can fit up to 8 without excessive crowding. Crowding is bad, since it may cause the pens to not line up in order in a straight line, as may also result in me picking the wrong color pen (always a problem since I like to color-code my notes in meetings, etc).

However, if I only use pens then I will have to forego any other gadgets I may have, such as screwdrivers or a short, triangular multiple scale ruler used for drawing.

Yes, I was an engineer before I was a priest. And no, you don't want to learn what I must do to organize and categorize my food before I eat it!

Forgive me Father, but you must be an endless source of frustration...oops... sorry, an endless source of Christian patience and charity for your Presbytera.   Wink

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2007, 02:05:36 PM »

Forgive me Father, but you must be an endless source of frustration...oops... sorry, an endless source of Christian patience and charity for your Presbytera.   Wink

I have long said that the only thing 'wrong' about Pr. Lori is....her poor choice for her spouse!  Wink
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:05:54 PM by FrChris » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »

Somewhat related (sort of) I have come across a possible "explanation" for my affinity for data and logic like Mr. Spock. I get migraines and can take a wonderful med called "Imitrex" It has a peculiar side affect that a friend recently told me about:

"Large doses of sumatripan (200 mg/day) can cause sulfhemoglobinemia, a rare condition in which the blood changes from red to greenish-black, due to the integration of sulfur into the hemoglobin molecule.

While I haven't noticed such a change, perhaps there are some... ah hem, lesser affects.   Grin

Ebor (are the pointy ears Vulcan or Elven?)

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2007, 02:52:15 PM »

are the pointy ears Vulcan or Elven

I think they're Romulan.

Or he could be a vampire (NOSFERATU!)

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2007, 03:00:46 PM »

I think they're Romulan.

Or he could be a vampire (NOSFERATU!)

Me?!?  a vampire?   Grin  I meant me, considering that I 1) try to be logical and reasonable and 2) have "Vanyar" as part of my personal header there to the left.

(Now how could I be considered a Romulan?  They *are* relatives of the Vulcans after all.  Wink )

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »

ALL of them, obviously.  Grin

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »

ALL of them, obviously.  Grin

Nah, you need to have some in the desk too.  Grin

Ebor

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »

Guess who's back?

SHATNER AND NIMOY!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2007, 07:13:58 PM »

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.... Lips Sealed

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2007, 03:52:33 AM »

I think Sylar is Da Bomb! (for use of a better Jerry Springer term)

I am only happy with who they cast for Spock and Scotty. The casting for Kirk was horrible. J.J Abrams must have been smoking crack (and I don't say that lightly, I usually love J.J). Personally, I think Julian McMahon would have make a great Kirk.

On a side note, I do think Prison Break's Wentworth Miller would play an excellent Vulcan.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Tags: spock  Star Trek  geek  trekkie 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: