Author Topic: Mr. Spock  (Read 7113 times)

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
Re: Mr. Spock
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »

I remember now that he was later given the Japanese first name Hikaru. So I think he's supposed to be half-Japanese, half-Filipino, which is unlikely given animosity from WWII.

Perhaps Mr. Gene wanted that to be a metaphor regarding his intention for the future of the world: a reconciliation of tensions from his (and our) present day is needed to steer the Enterprise into a glorious future.
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 02:27:10 PM »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2007, 10:01:44 PM »
We've got our Chekov. Bonus: he's actually Russian.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2007, 11:52:18 PM »
Wow. Y'all really are a bunch of nerds. How many pens can y'all fit in your shirt pockets? :-*
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline FrChris

• Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 12:00:21 AM »
Wow. Y'all really are a bunch of nerds. How many pens can y'all fit in your shirt pockets? :-*

Well it's a trade off:

With my pocket protector: six 'common' size pens, arranged in Roy G. Biv order if multiple colors are present. Mechanical pencils will be at the 'V' end of the pocket, while mechanical erasers will be placed at the 'R' side of the pocket.

Without a pocket protector: I can fit up to 8 without excessive crowding. Crowding is bad, since it may cause the pens to not line up in order in a straight line, as may also result in me picking the wrong color pen (always a problem since I like to color-code my notes in meetings, etc).

However, if I only use pens then I will have to forego any other gadgets I may have, such as screwdrivers or a short, triangular multiple scale ruler used for drawing.

Yes, I was an engineer before I was a priest. And no, you don't want to learn what I must do to organize and categorize my food before I eat it!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:01:08 AM by FrChris »
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Wow. Y'all really are a bunch of nerds.

What are you getting at? Nerds have a weird idea about what is entertaining? Never!

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
What are you getting at? Nerds have a weird idea about what is entertaining? Never!

Thank you for resurrecting that clip.  That and the liquid heat bit - pure movie gold.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline TinaG

• I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
  • High Elder
  • If only my family were this normal !
    • Cometh at Midnight Blog
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
Well it's a trade off:

With my pocket protector: six 'common' size pens, arranged in Roy G. Biv order if multiple colors are present. Mechanical pencils will be at the 'V' end of the pocket, while mechanical erasers will be placed at the 'R' side of the pocket.

Without a pocket protector: I can fit up to 8 without excessive crowding. Crowding is bad, since it may cause the pens to not line up in order in a straight line, as may also result in me picking the wrong color pen (always a problem since I like to color-code my notes in meetings, etc).

However, if I only use pens then I will have to forego any other gadgets I may have, such as screwdrivers or a short, triangular multiple scale ruler used for drawing.

Yes, I was an engineer before I was a priest. And no, you don't want to learn what I must do to organize and categorize my food before I eat it!

Forgive me Father, but you must be an endless source of frustration...oops... sorry, an endless source of Christian patience and charity for your Presbytera.   ;)
On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.

Offline FrChris

• Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2007, 02:05:36 PM »
Forgive me Father, but you must be an endless source of frustration...oops... sorry, an endless source of Christian patience and charity for your Presbytera.   ;)

I have long said that the only thing 'wrong' about Pr. Lori is....her poor choice for her spouse!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:05:54 PM by FrChris »

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »
Somewhat related (sort of) I have come across a possible "explanation" for my affinity for data and logic like Mr. Spock. I get migraines and can take a wonderful med called "Imitrex" It has a peculiar side affect that a friend recently told me about:

"Large doses of sumatripan (200 mg/day) can cause sulfhemoglobinemia, a rare condition in which the blood changes from red to greenish-black, due to the integration of sulfur into the hemoglobin molecule.

While I haven't noticed such a change, perhaps there are some... ah hem, lesser affects.   ;D

Ebor (are the pointy ears Vulcan or Elven?)
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2007, 02:52:15 PM »
are the pointy ears Vulcan or Elven

I think they're Romulan.

Or he could be a vampire (NOSFERATU!)
"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2007, 03:00:46 PM »
I think they're Romulan.

Or he could be a vampire (NOSFERATU!)

Me?!?  a vampire?   ;D  I meant me, considering that I 1) try to be logical and reasonable and 2) have "Vanyar" as part of my personal header there to the left.

(Now how could I be considered a Romulan?  They *are* relatives of the Vulcans after all.  ;) )

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »

ALL of them, obviously.  ;D
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »
ALL of them, obviously.  ;D

Nah, you need to have some in the desk too.  ;D

Ebor

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »
Guess who's back?

SHATNER AND NIMOY!
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2007, 07:13:58 PM »
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.... :-X
"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9

Offline Bono Vox

• The Orthodox Bagpiper
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2007, 03:52:33 AM »
I think Sylar is Da Bomb! (for use of a better Jerry Springer term)

I am only happy with who they cast for Spock and Scotty. The casting for Kirk was horrible. J.J Abrams must have been smoking crack (and I don't say that lightly, I usually love J.J). Personally, I think Julian McMahon would have make a great Kirk.

On a side note, I do think Prison Break's Wentworth Miller would play an excellent Vulcan.
Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!