OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 08:57:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: emotions at mass  (Read 554 times) Average Rating: 0
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« on: May 30, 2011, 11:56:48 AM »

Pax et bonum!
There is a common problem: people feel very emotional at Mass/Divine Liturgy. Some people feel like crying, expressing anger or other emotions. What should poeple do?

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:03:36 PM »

I have often been moved during the Consecration, or other times, to the point where I'm almost in tears. I try to turn this into a (quiet) prayer of gratitude.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »

I have often been moved during the Consecration, or other times, to the point where I'm almost in tears. I try to turn this into a (quiet) prayer of gratitude.
not crying? Huh

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »

Well, in the church I attend, I can't take Communion yet. I try to remember the Lord's love for us, and to see that is why there is Communion, and so thank Him for it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »

Well, in the church I attend, I can't take Communion yet. I try to remember the Lord's love for us, and to see that is why there is Communion, and so thank Him for it.
but you can cry? Huh

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »

Many of our saints were known to tear up during liturgy.  It's seen as a gift.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »

There is something known as holy tears. Read this by St. John Climacus (http://www.orthodoxchristian.info/pages/Prayer.html), he makes references to tears in prayer. I even recall a saint that cried so much his eyelashes fell out, so crying in prayer is definitely Orthodox.

That said, the vast majority of emotions expressed by people at Divine Liturgy are not examples of holy tears. Rather they dwell on their own sensations to further induce these feelings. If you are ever blessed enough to be granted this gift, don't dwell on the feelings - use that time as one for greater repentance.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »

I hate it when '...the incense smoke gets in my eyes, and gets them all red and watery.' But since people are depending on me to stay on task, I (and other folks similarly affected) have to keep on working through the feelings in question.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 05:23:06 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Pax et bonum!
There is a common problem: people feel very emotional at Mass/Divine Liturgy. Some people feel like crying, expressing anger or other emotions. What should poeple do?

Go with it in the spirit of dignity.  Mass is place of solace and consolation.  People bring their real lives into the Liturgy, with all the pain and baggage that necessarily implies.  In fact, one the precise functions of the Liturgy is to help us let go of our pain and baggage.  People should run the gantlet of their memories and fears which hurt them so that they can find the true healing which comes from God alone.  We go to the Divine Liturgy to quite frankly meet God, what else should we do with our fractured lives when we meet God, ignore them?

It is a matter of reverence and dignity, perhaps folks shouldn't be rolling around in grief on the floor or shedding hysterical tears, but why should we expect people to suppress their emotions when the Liturgy moves them one way or the other, as humans heal through letting it out with the trust that God is there cooperating in the healing process, and where is God if not at the Divine Liturgy?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:26:30 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: