OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 12:48:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you were  not an Orthodox Christian, which faith do you think you would be?
Catholic - 57 (39.9%)
Evangelical Protestant - 4 (2.8%)
not very liturgical Liberal Protestant - 2 (1.4%)
Protestant with more of a liturgical bent - 18 (12.6%)
Atheist - 9 (6.3%)
Jew - 11 (7.7%)
Muslim - 9 (6.3%)
Other - 33 (23.1%)
Total Voters: 143

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What faith would you be if you weren't Orthodox?  (Read 38758 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

I believe there is also a Zoroastrian temple somewhere in America, but I can't recall where I've read this.

Anyways, I voted Jewish.  If I were to lose faith in Orthodoxy, the only other Christian group I can possibly see as being true are the OO.  However, if 'Orthodox' is to mean EO and OO, then I would go with Orthodox Judaism.  The history of the Church leads me to believe that Catholicism, Protestantism, Nestorianism, etc. are all serious deviations from the True Church.  If I were to ever join a Christian group that isn't Orthodox, it would be for reasons other than faith.  And if I were to join a religion for something other than faith, I could probably pick a more interesting and free religion than some type of Christianity or Judaism, to convince myself of.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »

I believe there is also a Zoroastrian temple somewhere in America, but I can't recall where I've read this.

Anyways, I voted Jewish.  If I were to lose faith in Orthodoxy, the only other Christian group I can possibly see as being true are the OO.  However, if 'Orthodox' is to mean EO and OO, then I would go with Orthodox Judaism.  The history of the Church leads me to believe that Catholicism, Protestantism, Nestorianism, etc. are all serious deviations from the True Church.  If I were to ever join a Christian group that isn't Orthodox, it would be for reasons other than faith.  And if I were to join a religion for something other than faith, I could probably pick a more interesting and free religion than some type of Christianity or Judaism, to convince myself of.

If I were to reject Orthodoxy, I would reject all of Christianity.  I would also reject the Jewish religion since the Christian is only a logical (to me) fulfillment of the Jewish.  That is why I would choose a religion that pre-dates even the Jewish and choose the Hindu or one of its derivatives.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

If I were to reject Orthodoxy, I would reject all of Christianity.  I would also reject the Jewish religion since the Christian is only a logical (to me) fulfillment of the Jewish.  That is why I would choose a religion that pre-dates even the Jewish and choose the Hindu or one of its derivatives.
Wouldn't the religion one would choose, depend upon the precise reason why one rejected Orthodoxy? If you rejected Orthodoxy for one reason, you might become Jewish; if for another reason, you might become Hindu.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »

Wouldn't the religion one would choose, depend upon the precise reason why one rejected Orthodoxy? If you rejected Orthodoxy for one reason, you might become Jewish; if for another reason, you might become Hindu.

Without Christianity to fulfill the Jewish religion, the whole "Chosen People" issue becomes BS.  Chosen for what?  To be the whipping boy of virtually every society that has come since?  Judaism has no meaning outside of Christ.  The Hindu have been around far longer, and actually make more sense.  Their cyclic view of time is also more sensible than our liner timeline, since virtually everything in nature operates on a cycle. 

So, I suppose that you are correct.  However, I can not see a reason that I would reject Christianity that would leave Judaism at all palatable.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2012, 04:14:32 PM »

great thread!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #230 on: March 05, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »

Without Christianity to fulfill the Jewish religion, the whole "Chosen People" issue becomes BS.  Chosen for what?  To be the whipping boy of virtually every society that has come since?  Judaism has no meaning outside of Christ.  The Hindu have been around far longer, and actually make more sense.  Their cyclic view of time is also more sensible than our liner timeline, since virtually everything in nature operates on a cycle. 

So, I suppose that you are correct.  However, I can not see a reason that I would reject Christianity that would leave Judaism at all palatable.

If I were to reject Orthodoxy, I would have to reject all of Christendom, as well.  But I would be doing so because I could no longer believe Christ is Messiah, and if He is not Messiah, then He certainly can't be God.  However, there would be no reason from my point of view to reject Judaism, as its meaning wouldn't have changed since before Christ came; it would still be waiting for the messiah. 

However, if I were to go with a religion other than Judaism, it would probably be Zoroastrianism (though the Iranian Zoroastrians, of course, because the Parsees don't actually permit conversion). 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »

This thread is too good to stay dead. Smiley

If I were to reject Orthodoxy, I would have to reject all of Christendom, as well.

Likewise. I used to think I could survive, at least for a while, as a RC or Anglican, but closer contact has disabused me of that notion. I'd have to move into paganism, most probably Druidry. (Ironically, the OBOD branch concentrates on the link to the land, instead of the faith/ritual aspect, so it is actually possible to have Christian and Jewish Druids among them. Go figure.)

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #232 on: January 02, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »

I went with the majority this time.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:21:27 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

Donatist

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »

If I were to reject Orthodoxy, I would have to reject all of Christendom, as well

and become an Anglican.

//:=)

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2013, 02:48:39 PM »

Islam is really cool when you see it the movies or on TV shows when they all do that simultaneous prostrating and ritual washing that is lit really well.

Islam is also really cool when you read its "philosophical" tradition and it teaches you everything the RCs have been holding on to for centuries and much more.

Islam is also really cool when you see all that architecture, calligraphy, and artsy stuff.

Islam is also really cool when you learn about it various alternatives to the "western" systemics of jurisprudence, economic systems, etc.

Then you read the Koran.

Or look at a youtube video by an American Islamic teacher and he sounds like the guy who tried really hard to be tough who you used to by crummy weed from in junior high.

Or see anything by Rumi or newage Sufism.

Then you realize Goethe musta had a guy who tried really hard to be tough selling him better weed.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #236 on: January 07, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »

I'd have to move into paganism, most probably Druidry.

Worshiping Celestia makes more sense.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »

Or see anything by Rumi....
You don't like Rumi? Shocked

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »

I might be Roman Catholic. But if not, I would definitely be Roman Pagan.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #239 on: January 07, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »

Or see anything by Rumi....
You don't like Rumi? Shocked

Sometimes you can't remove the context in which you found things sufficiently enough.

Rumi is on the shelf next to Wayne Dyer, Women who Run with Wolves, and Our Bodies, Our Selves. Edition XXIV. Now with your own speculum!

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »

That, and most "Druids" aren't really practicing anything other than neo-"celtic" crap.  If you must be a Celtic Neopagan, at least become a Celtic Recon. At least they stick to history.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

Which one?

That, and most "Druids" aren't really practicing anything other than neo-"celtic" crap.  If you must be a Celtic Neopagan, at least become a Celtic Recon. At least they stick to history.

Please. I've been around recons. The quibbling would drive anyone nuts. Especially since there's very little to reconstruct, seeing as history says diddly squat (and myths, as is their wont, tangle like a cat toy).

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

Why do so many people here choose the Catholic? Is  Catholic closer or more similar to Orthodoxy by comparing with other christianity?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:55:51 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »

Please. I've been around recons. The quibbling would drive anyone nuts. Especially since there's very little to reconstruct, seeing as history says diddly squat (and myths, as is their wont, tangle like a cat toy).

Ha! Very good point. They do tend to sit around and bicker than they do practice. Or they just become walking encyclopedias. But, I actually prefer them to Hellenic Recons. Those people drive me nuts.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »

But, I actually prefer them to Hellenic Recons. Those people drive me nuts.

I've known decent HRs. YSEE members are NOT among those. More than driving people nuts, they ARE nuts.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »

Why do so many people here choose the Catholic? Is  Catholic closer or more similar to Orthodoxy by comparing with other christianity?

IMO the closest are Eastern Orthodoxy and Oriental Orthodoxy, but Catholicism and Orthodoxy are closer than most groups would be.

Large Marge sent me...
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »

I've known decent HRs. YSEE members are NOT among those. More than driving people nuts, they ARE nuts.

Never ran into those, but I'm looking at their website right now.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »

Do they use dice or are we talking more simplified game mechanics? Like rock, paper, scissors?

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »

Do they use dice or are we talking more simplified game mechanics? Like rock, paper, scissors?

Knucklebones, if I'm not mistaken.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »

How about an Aztec neo-pagan like my ancestors? Conventional religions are boring and overrated.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »

How about an Aztec neo-pagan like my ancestors? Conventional religions are boring and overrated.

The religion of your people (Californians) is Scientology which is a huge step up from anything with the word pagan in it.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »

How about an Aztec neo-pagan like my ancestors?

Complete with human sacrifice?

Wow!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »

The religion of your people (Californians) is Scientology which is a huge step up from anything with the word pagan in it.

Tom Cruise was in my closet

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »

He's talkin' 'bout his *ancestors*, not his *people*.   Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »

Tom Cruise was in my closet

Hope you weren't in there with him. Grin

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »

How about an Aztec neo-pagan like my ancestors?

Complete with human sacrifice?

Wow!

It's California, they have a soy alternative. And unfortunately, it is not PEOPLE!

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

Soylent Green is people.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »

Soylent Green is people.

Dude, it no longer does. It's even gluten free. It contains absolutely nothing, except Californians, which is to say nothing.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2013, 07:57:25 PM »

If neither Orthodox (EO/OO) nor their splinter groups, then probably Roman Catholic (traditionalist or sedevecantist). If not RC, then it'd be a toss-up between Pure Land Buddhism, Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, and Sikhism.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:59:29 PM by Nephi » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »

If neither Orthodox (EO/OO) nor their splinter groups, then probably Roman Catholic (traditionalist or sedevecantist). If not RC, then it'd be a toss-up between Pure Land Buddhism, Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, and Sikhism.
Why not become Jewish and pray for the Messiah?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
adampjr
Karamazov

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »

Probably I'd remain Presbyterian. I like a lot about that group, but I think I've found more Orthodoxy and we will probably become catachumens this year. If it didn't exist I think i'd remain as I am.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #261 on: January 07, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »

Why not become Jewish and pray for the Messiah?
Frankly I don't think that Rabbinic Judaism is the faith of ancient Israel. It's too obviously, in my opinion, a later development and much in response to Christianity. Their definitive Oral Torah claims in particular.

Although I do have a decent respect for Hasidic beliefs after meeting a Chabaud Center's rabbi.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »

Re: What faith would you be if you weren't Orthodox?

Probably Agnostic or MultiCultural Religion.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #263 on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:04 AM »

I think I'd be of no faith whatsoever if I weren't Orthodox. Rejecting Orthodoxy would mean rejecting Christianity to me and I certainly can't think of another major religion I could be happy with. Judaism and Islam would certainly be out - Judaism without its fulfilment in Christ seems like a nonsense and I find Islam to be repulsive. I certainly couldn't be a Buddhist again either. As I've tried and failed to be atheist in the past I suspect that I'd either end up retreating into my own personal 'spirituality' or indulging in some sort of syncretist pick-and-choosery, which is much the same thing. Of course, with my background in psychology I'd likely justify that as some sort of personally meaningful symbolism rather than any objective reality.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »

Zoroastrian

why is that? and what denomination of that would you be? still an orthodox?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »

Sufi Islam

yeah. It is the only islamic sect that I love. But I think there are some suffi groups you could be a member of, without having to be a muslim. As long as you confess that there is only one God. These groups don't care how you call this God, as long as you truly accept that there is only one God.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »

Zoroastrian

why is that? and what denomination of that would you be? still an orthodox?

Reminds me of a joke:

A few thugs assault a man in Belfast:
- Are you Catholic or Protestant?
- Gentlemen, I'm Jewish - the guy responds.
After a few seconds of hesitation:
- OK. Are you Catholic Jewish or Protestant Jewish?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:49:09 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »

If required to choose a non-Christian religion, Krishna seems like an okay guy.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »

Or her siblings Inanna and Dumuzid:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:58:04 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #269 on: January 15, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »

Edition XXIV. Now with your own speculum![/i]

I choked on my coffee reading this...thanks for the mental image  Tongue

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: