OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you were  not an Orthodox Christian, which faith do you think you would be?
Catholic - 57 (39.9%)
Evangelical Protestant - 4 (2.8%)
not very liturgical Liberal Protestant - 2 (1.4%)
Protestant with more of a liturgical bent - 18 (12.6%)
Atheist - 9 (6.3%)
Jew - 11 (7.7%)
Muslim - 9 (6.3%)
Other - 33 (23.1%)
Total Voters: 143

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What faith would you be if you weren't Orthodox?  (Read 37804 times) Average Rating: 0
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »

Would grumbling or impatience with something that happened at work or on the freeway be a sin according to the Orthodox Church? This would generally be a venial sin in the RCC, which is to say a lesser sin which would not merit eternal punishment.

We do not think in such a legalistic way. For us, it's rather about the process of theosis; wether you are deified on your death or not; or wether you at least tried to become deified or not.
OK. Thanks for taking the time to explain this.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »

I would be Oriental Orthodox if not Eastern Orthodox, but that option is not given. This is why I have to choose Judaism  Smiley

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »

If I were not Catholic I would be Oriental Orthodox.
Well the lack of an atonement or original sin in EO is a big issue for me.
I was under the impression that OO, and EO said the same thing in regards to the Original Sin/Ancestral Sin. Am I wrong?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:23 AM »

I would see myself as an Orthodox Jew - perhaps one of those Jews for Jesus .

Pick one.... "Jews for Jesus" are rather fringe Evangelical Protestants.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »

Pick one.... "Jews for Jesus" are rather fringe Evangelical Protestants.
You forgot the third option: Dispensationalists

We believe that Israel exists as a covenant people through whom God continues to accomplish His purposes and that the Church is an elect people in accordance with the New Covenant, comprising both Jews and Gentiles who acknowledge Jesus as Messiah and Redeemer.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »

Well, my understanding is that the Orthodox Church has the teachings of the early church, like baptism, divine presence in the Eucharist, apostolic succession.

If I wasn't Orthodox, that would mean for me that I very likely gave up Christianity. I admit the possibility I could have a mind-blowing revelation that the kosher Judaizer tendences of some in the early Jerusalem church were right, or that Jesus was only a human Messiah, but still was a Messiah, and in that case I would join some very small group. But I think that kind of revelation would be very unlikely, absent a time machine, plus I doubt those things would be right.

Judaism is the base of Christianity, but I would not go to Judaism, not because I am not an ethnic Jew, but because I love the image of God in the New Testament. Alot of the image of God in the Old Testament makes me recoil, when it takes about such strict laws of executing heretics, flogging people, not to mention all the kosher rules and customs. I think and want God to be a God of love and mercy, so it is not a model I would join. Judaism's main idea is monotheism, and that IS something I could go to.

So I would become a theist. I think Thomas Jefferson and the founding fathers were Deists- they did not believe in Jesus' miracles, but believed in God in the classic nonChristian monotheist sense. I read that some Bolsheviks, like Maxim Gorky and perhaps Lunacharsky, did believe in the Lord God despite being nonChristians, and they called this understanding "Bogostroitelstvo." They saw God as being a collective, sharing commune of humanity combined with God. They had different ideas about what this meant. I think the movement might be associated with Transhumanism in English.

So I accept the Orthodox faith as the faith handed down by the apostles. If it turned out to be false, it wouldn't be on something like the Pope being an overarching infallible replacement for Christ on earth over all the church. That sounds so ridiculous and almost blasphemous to say that one person who is not God can be unable to make a mistake, especially when we see cases of Popes torturing people to death. if he thinks that is a good church decision, I don't trust him to be unmistakable when making up theories either. Sorry.

To reject Orthodoxy would have to mean that Christianity itself was deeply flawed, that the wonderful things I want to be true are not. I would still love God and go with the faith of the American and [some] Russian revolutionaries. But for that if a big IF again. I would again probably need a time machine to prove one way or the other. I am still on a spiritual journey spending time learning about Jesus and Christianity. And even if it is wrong, it is still a wonderful journey because it is very inspiring to see how a person can teach so much love, mercy, and understanding about God, be executed for it as a bad criminal, and have this faith spread around the world. I want Jesus to be resurrected like all the other good criminals. There are many many criminals, and many of them are good.

Be Good.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:43:12 AM by rakovsky » Logged
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »

So I accept the Orthodox faith as the faith handed down by the apostles. If it turned out to be false, it wouldn't be on something like the Pope being an overarching infallible replacement for Christ on earth over all the church. That sounds so ridiculous and almost blasphemous to say that one person who is not God can be unable to make a mistake, especially when we see cases of Popes torturing people to death. if he thinks that is a good church decision, I don't trust him to be unmistakable when making up theories either. Sorry.

That is not at all how the Catholics are meant to see the pope and they do not. Infallibility does not mean not being able to make a mistake. I'll let a more learned poster or RC poster explain further if you want.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
David Carroll

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »

I'd be an Orthodox Jew.

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »

I've finally come to the conclusion that if Orthodoxy isn't the faith given to us by the one true God, then there is no one true God. I'd be atheist.
David Carroll

« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »

Well said, genesisone.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #190 on: June 17, 2010, 08:05:55 PM »

I've finally come to the conclusion that if Orthodoxy isn't the faith given to us by the one true God, then there is no one true God. I'd be atheist.

I had said I would be a general theist. I see your strict logic, so I will raise you one. You meant that God necessarily depends on Orthodoxy. God created Orthodoxy is something you believe so strongly, that if Orthodoxy didn't exist, then the formula wouldn't exist, since God is such a part of Orthodoxy for you. Well, God created you too, according to Orthodoxy. You are so connected to God and to Orthodoxy, that one couldn't exist without the other. And yet you exist.

The problem with this, if it is a problem, is that it is very ontological.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #191 on: June 17, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »

Ummmm....

Doesn't it really depend on the reason why I wasn't Orthodox?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #192 on: June 17, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »

I would be confused.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »

I had said I would be a general theist. I see your strict logic, so I will raise you one. You meant that God necessarily depends on Orthodoxy. God created Orthodoxy is something you believe so strongly, that if Orthodoxy didn't exist, then the formula wouldn't exist, since God is such a part of Orthodoxy for you. Well, God created you too, according to Orthodoxy. You are so connected to God and to Orthodoxy, that one couldn't exist without the other. And yet you exist.

Interesting challenge. Allow me to continue. It isn't correct to have me say that "God ... depends on Orthodoxy. [That] God created Orthodoxy...." Yes, God created me - but He didn't create the Church in the same way, but rather reveals Himself through her. If everything that I am and everything that I know and experience should somehow be shown to have come into existence in some way other than that revealed through the Church, then God would have to be a liar and deceiver. Therefore, not a God who merits any concern or even belief from me. My belief would be that there is no God and all of what we know as creation is merely happenstance.

I think I was interpreting the original question as "What faith would you be if you couldn't be Orthodox?" In other words, knowing what I know now, if that were to be taken away from me, where would I turn?
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2010, 12:43:39 AM »

Interesting challenge. Allow me to continue. It isn't correct to have me say that "God ... depends on Orthodoxy. [That] God created Orthodoxy...." Yes, God created me - but He didn't create the Church in the same way, but rather reveals Himself through her. If everything that I am and everything that I know and experience should somehow be shown to have come into existence in some way other than that revealed through the Church, then God would have to be a liar and deceiver. Therefore, not a God who merits any concern or even belief from me. My belief would be that there is no God and all of what we know as creation is merely happenstance.

I think I was interpreting the original question as "What faith would you be if you couldn't be Orthodox?" In other words, knowing what I know now, if that were to be taken away from me, where would I turn?

Atheism means that you do not believe in any God. The frightening hypothetical that you described (which I hope is not the case), would if it were the case mean that God is real, but you just don't turn to him or want to follow Him. That still would not mean He did not exist.

I very much want to believe God is so kind. If He isnt all-compassionate, then I guess it is just a realistic assessment that he follows the Old Testament tit-for tat style of vengeance. I think God transcends the Old Testament, stops the vengeance, and replaces it with something better. I see that human society develops, it transcends tit-for-tat, people are not as harsh as their grandparents often. It seems God wants to say something when he sees dead stagnancy. We have to be careful, in the sense that "We have fear of God", yet God makes us happy. This is very philosophical.

Even if God did follow the Old Testament, he still gives us a way out- there are many cruel times when the law in the US or another country executes people like the robber on Jesus' less for committing less than murder. Yes, still some states in US have the felony murder rule where some people are given 1st degree murder sentences for participating in a felony in which someone dies. The point is, society does not follow the Old Testament and has not for some time- it is much crueler. I think if God is real and is tit-for tat, it seems that he will still want to overcome what the law of the states put in place. He will want to overcome it with compassion.

What would I be if there is no God? Would I exist? What is God? Now you are in a completely different area if you have set aside Orthodox Christianity as a basis.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:51:58 AM by rakovsky » Logged
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2010, 08:00:24 AM »

Atheism means that you do not believe in any God. The frightening hypothetical that you described (which I hope is not the case), would if it were the case mean that God is real, but you just don't turn to him or want to follow Him. That still would not mean He did not exist.

What would I be if there is no God? Would I exist? What is God? Now you are in a completely different area if you have set aside Orthodox Christianity as a basis.
What I mean is that I would have no belief in God and that my life would be lived on the premise that He does not exist. It would be a denial of the existence of God.

Remember, we're talking about beliefs and perceptions here. And I do agree that without God I really can't imagine my own existence. But I'm answering a question that expects me to suspend my beliefs.

Does this help make some sense of what I'm getting at?
David Carroll

« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2010, 05:27:06 PM »

I think the word "God" would be rendered meaningless if He did not reveal Himself.  It is only within a religious context that "God" is given any definition.

Humbly submitted.  Correct me.

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »

I'd be a Tridentine Catholic,no doubt . angel

Absolutely, me too. And if I lived through the Sixties then possibly even a Sedevacantist.

Now, if there was no Christianity at all then it gets a bit tougher....can one be a carnivore and a Hindu at the same time?   Grin

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2010, 04:33:42 AM »

Absolutely, me too. And if I lived through the Sixties then possibly even a Sedevacantist.

Now, if there was no Christianity at all then it gets a bit tougher....can one be a carnivore and a Hindu at the same time?   Grin

Can you please point me to a VERY brief summary of the differences between the Tridentine mass and the Novo Ordo one since Vatican II?

Or you can just tell me.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:34:08 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »

Now, if there was no Christianity at all then it gets a bit tougher....can one be a carnivore and a Hindu at the same time?   Grin

Can you please point me to a VERY brief summary of the differences between the Tridentine mass and the Novo Ordo one since Vatican II?

Or you can just tell me.

Thanks
This is actually a complicated question to answer because the Novus Ordo is celebrated differently in different parishes and in different regions. But here it goes.
The Novus Ordo is considered a very dressed down version of the Roman Rite. It is celebrated in the venacular and the prayers are much much simpler than the prayers of the Tridentine Mass. Some say that the the prayers of the Trindentine Liturgy are richer in theology and worship.
In many places, the music used in the Novus Ordo is more modern, ranging from the sappy church music of the seventies and eighties, to contemporary Christian worship. However, there are parishes in which the NO (Novus Ordo) is celebrated with traditional hymns, and even sacred polyphony or Gregorian Chant, which is actually the only music allowed in the Tridentine Mass.
One of the most striking differences is that in many Parishes the NO is celebrated with the priest facing the people rather than ad orientem which is the manner prescribed for the Tridentine Liturgy. However, there is a growing trend in which priests celebrated the NO ad orientem just like the TLM. The funny thing about the situation is that the rubrics of Paul VI never called for the priest to face the people.
In all, the NO has had a complicated short history but things are beginning to improve. As stated above, many priests are starting to celebrate ad orientem and the sacred music is working its way back into many parishes. This process is being supported by the growing appreciation of the TLM in the Catholic Church and I can only hope that the love of good and traditional liurgy continues to spread.

Just a side, note. I think an Eastern Orthodox Christian would feel comfortable visiting a Tridentine Mass or a NO that is celebrate ad orientem with sacred music. However, and EO might feel uncomfortable at a NO that is celebrated with more contemporary music.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »

Or you can just tell me.

Thanks

Here's a brief summary of the particulars,

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0703698.htm

For me, it comes down to beauty and tradition.

But I'm hoping someone with much more knowledge than me can respond to you.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2010, 05:25:39 AM »

Just a side, note. I think an Eastern Orthodox Christian would feel comfortable visiting a Tridentine Mass or a NO that is celebrate ad orientem with sacred music. However, and EO might feel uncomfortable at a NO that is celebrated with more contemporary music.

That's exactly my experience even before conversion. I had attended Byzantine services for a time before attending my first Tridentine mass. Due to lack of Latin skills I didn't understand much of it but I felt right at home. The spirit was pretty much the same I had used to in the Byzantine services whereas the NO masses felt completely different. I wonder whether the more traditionally celebrated NO mass would feel more like a home...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:26:35 AM by Alpo » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »

Or you can just tell me.

Thanks
This is actually a complicated question to answer because the Novus Ordo is celebrated differently in different parishes and in different regions. But here it goes.
The Novus Ordo is considered a very dressed down version of the Roman Rite. It is celebrated in the venacular and the prayers are much much simpler than the prayers of the Tridentine Mass. Some say that the the prayers of the Trindentine Liturgy are richer in theology and worship.
In many places, the music used in the Novus Ordo is more modern, ranging from the sappy church music of the seventies and eighties, to contemporary Christian worship. However, there are parishes in which the NO (Novus Ordo) is celebrated with traditional hymns, and even sacred polyphony or Gregorian Chant, which is actually the only music allowed in the Tridentine Mass.
One of the most striking differences is that in many Parishes the NO is celebrated with the priest facing the people rather than ad orientem which is the manner prescribed for the Tridentine Liturgy. However, there is a growing trend in which priests celebrated the NO ad orientem just like the TLM. The funny thing about the situation is that the rubrics of Paul VI never called for the priest to face the people.
In all, the NO has had a complicated short history but things are beginning to improve. As stated above, many priests are starting to celebrate ad orientem and the sacred music is working its way back into many parishes. This process is being supported by the growing appreciation of the TLM in the Catholic Church and I can only hope that the love of good and traditional liurgy continues to spread.

Sorry, Papist. I didn't see your reply before mine. Thanks for the info. There is so much beauty in the RC Church, I hope over time its reclaimed.

monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »

PAGAN!!!   No, only kidding. If I couldn't be Orthodox, I wouldn't want to live.  Life without the Truth would be a living hell.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »

PAGAN!!!   No, only kidding. If I couldn't be Orthodox, I wouldn't want to live.  Life without the Truth would be a living hell.

Do you Mean Like Give me Holy Orthodoxy, Or Give me Death...If i NEVER KNEW ORTHODOXY , i would be happy as a Jehova wittness i think till something  better came along, like Mormanisim Grin Iv had dealings with both very impressed by them.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2010, 05:50:42 PM »

PAGAN!!!  No, only kidding. If I couldn't be Orthodox, I wouldn't want to live.  Life without the Truth would be a living hell.

Do you Mean Like Give me Holy Orthodoxy, Or Give me Death...If i NEVER KNEW ORTHODOXY , i would be happy as a Jehova wittness i think till something  better came along, like Mormanisim Grin Iv had dealings with both very impressed by them.... Grin

Then you may really like one or two of the Mormon splinter groups if going way far afield has appeal for you.

There is the "Temple Lot" Mormons. They were among those who stayed back in MO and split with Brigham Young over polygamy and such the like and did not go to Utah. They formed The Reformed Church of Later Day Saints which now goes by the name Church of Christ I think. Then a smaller group broke from them and gained control of a 1 acre plot of land that Joseph Smith said was the exact spot where the Lord will return.

It bothers the other Mormon groups no end that this little sect owns the site. First one to the county deed office won I guess.

Religion is fun.  Can we set up lawn chairs and a lemonade stand there while we wait I wonder.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:51:22 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »

Just to be on the safe side ,ill have to stick with the main branch of Mormonism, That's if i didn't know Holy Orthodoxy..... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2010, 03:48:15 AM »

Do you Mean Like Give me Holy Orthodoxy, Or Give me Death...If i NEVER KNEW ORTHODOXY , i would be happy as a Jehova wittness i think till something  better came along, like Mormanisim Grin Iv had dealings with both very impressed by them.... Grin
That doesn't surprise me.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2010, 04:05:03 AM »

PAGAN!!!   No, only kidding.

Actually I think that plain old paganism would be rather interesting option. I mean why not to stick with ones own tradition i.e. Paganism instead of completety weird and alien religions coming from other part of the World.

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2010, 06:09:58 AM »

Fundamentalist Mormon, hands down: compound, special undergarments, 27 wives and all.
It's all in the D&C
Though I'd have to be president, prophet, seer and revelator.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Nadege

« Reply #210 on: February 29, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »

I'd be Coptic!  It's an awesome Middle Eastern version of Orthodoxy to me.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #211 on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:42 PM »

Traditional Anglican, maybe.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #212 on: February 29, 2012, 11:52:41 PM »

I'd be Coptic!  It's an awesome Middle Eastern version of Orthodoxy to me.

*grumbling noises*

I'd move to Toledo to be closer to the Mozarabic rite churches in Toledo and surrounding areas. I'd have to adapt to the Spanish accent (ugh), but it'd be worth it. Maybe.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »

I would go Lutheran (LCMS) most likely

SCREW BON JOVI!
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:25 AM »

Lost.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2012, 01:06:51 AM »

This, for the most part.  Except I'm not kidding.  Orthodoxy is the only religion that feels right to me.  If for some reason there was no Orthodoxy, it would be Old One-Eye for me.  Not kidding.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2012, 06:15:09 AM »

Probably Jewish, since, the mainline Protestant Churches are a joke in my opinion, judging from personal experience, and I cannot accept the legalistic, abusive-father view of salvation in Roman Catholicism. Judaism on the other hand seems more liturgical and valid, with deep devotion to study and waiting for the Savior to come with a sort of quiet, introverted position in the world where not a lot of people know about is and we are free to observe from a distance, perfect for the individualistic introverted personality I have. Wow, saying this makes me want to reconsider my conversion to Orthodoxy and go to Judaism. On the other hand, I do not think it is worth having to get circumcised for /jk.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2012, 06:30:26 AM »

Deist, I don't think I can live in a world in which I could deny the existence of a divine conscious entity that is responsible and or the source of our morality, the cause of everything that began to exist and the like.

Thank you.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »

Orthodoxy or death!

Adoption of a nihilistic worldview seems the most logical as no religion has the power to purify and illumine the nous.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:04:55 AM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »

Before I became Orthodox, I was intrigued by Buddhism, Kabbalistic Judaism, and Sufism (I was exploring them, though I hadn't gone too deeply into any of them. Kept feeling that they all pointed towards a common direction).

Shared JamesR's sentiments towards Catholicism, above; kept digging into the history of the other Christian denominations & kept rejecting them.

More properly philosophies, Zen, Taoism, & Confucianism & made a lot of sense to me.

So, if I hadn't come to Orthodoxy, optimistically, I think I may have become some form of Buddhist.

More realistically, probably some form of Mr. Potatohead style pick-and-choose-your-own New Agey Do It Yourself Enlightenment kind of thing based on all of the above.

"Who touches, is also touched"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »

I've always enjoyed reading about odd little sects and 'remnant' religions. Wonder if there are any working Zoroastrian temples today?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »

I've always enjoyed reading about odd little sects and 'remnant' religions. Wonder if there are any working Zoroastrian temples today?
In India, for sure.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »

In India, for sure.

I grew up with some kids from India named "Cyrus" and "Darius" and it later dawned on me that they were Parsees.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2012, 02:25:04 AM »

Probably Jewish,...
But in order to be Jewish, you have to reject Jesus as the Messiah and Savior of the world?
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2012, 02:53:13 AM »

In India, for sure.

Yazd, Iran still has a relatively large, active Zoroastrian community.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: