OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:24:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you were  not an Orthodox Christian, which faith do you think you would be?
Catholic - 57 (39.9%)
Evangelical Protestant - 4 (2.8%)
not very liturgical Liberal Protestant - 2 (1.4%)
Protestant with more of a liturgical bent - 18 (12.6%)
Atheist - 9 (6.3%)
Jew - 11 (7.7%)
Muslim - 9 (6.3%)
Other - 33 (23.1%)
Total Voters: 143

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What faith would you be if you weren't Orthodox?  (Read 38776 times) Average Rating: 0
Art Nichols

Faith: Orthodox Christian (catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OCA-Archdiocese of the South

« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »

If i wasn't Orthodox my first choice would have been Shia Islam, the 2nd choice Catholic,and the 3rd choice world have been Judaism.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:10:21 PM by Art Nichols » Logged

One is Orthodox all the time every day, in every situation of life, or one is not really Orthodox at all.-Father Seraphim Rose
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2007, 11:36:17 PM »

If i wasn't Orthodox my first choice would have been Shia Islam, the 2nd choice Catholic,and the 3rd choice world have been Judaism.

As a general question, I don't know why Shia Islam would be preferred over Sunni Islam. Also, there are of course, three branches of Judaism: Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2007, 01:26:18 AM »

Right. This is what I think also. It was surprising to me that people would choose atheism over a different Christian denomination.
I was running out of gas and on my last "fumes" as an evangelical. I doubt I would be Christian if I had not found Orthodoxy. So, if I couldn't be Orthodox, I couldn't go back to something that couldn't sustain me.

Although maybe, a tiny maybe, but maybe, I could be in some kind of 'emergent Christianity" type church - but it would probably be as much for the music and power point presentations as the doctrine. But I do like alot of what they are trying to get at - however, I read their stuff and just sigh and say, "read the Fathers and you wouldn't have to try and re-invent everything - this was examined 1200 - 1800 years ago,"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 01:31:04 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Art Nichols

Faith: Orthodox Christian (catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OCA-Archdiocese of the South

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2007, 11:10:20 AM »

As a general question, I don't know why Shia Islam would be preferred over Sunni Islam. Also, there are of course, three branches of Judaism: Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed.

To me Sunni Islam seemed too much like an Islamic version of Protestantism. Plus I was raised with an Evangelical Protestant background (which i truth in).

out of those three branches of Judaism I would have chosen Orthodox.

But i know that Orthodox Christianity is the true religion now.

One is Orthodox all the time every day, in every situation of life, or one is not really Orthodox at all.-Father Seraphim Rose
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2007, 03:43:04 PM »

With so many Christian faiths to choose from why would anyone choose a less-than redemptive religion?

I think the question was which is more redemptive. The sillest Christian groups vs the most conservative Buddhism.

Who is more grace filled? Is it a Buddhist monk who restricts his passions to the same strict level as our Monks, who witdraws from the world and  who has some understanding of his relationship with the Supreme? Or a Christian who is looking to scam on God to get more wealth and possesions? 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2009, 11:22:32 PM »

I'd be a Tridentine Catholic,no doubt . angel

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »

This is an intriguing thread-one which I've never noticed before!

From my experience, Orthodoxy is the best "serious" religion in which to be a convert.

But if I'd have had a different fate in life, I would have liked being born into a Jewish home or into an Anabaptist home.

I've also had an interest in paganism, because I sort of love nature and sometimes would like to be a pagan girl wearing a big wreath of flowers on my head and a long flowing gown and go dancing through the woods, muttering to trees and kissing the flowers, it's a pretty picture to me. But, of course, this is just  my own interpretation of paganism.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:36:12 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2009, 12:17:34 AM »

I voted Catholic, which is a pretty boring answer as it's almost the same religion on so many levels, but whatever.  The Byzantine Catholic answers were even more unoriginal!  I am just assuming that if Orthodoxy had not survived, then the Catholic church would have an unrivaled claim to being Christ's True Church.

But if Christianity was out of the picture all together, I would probably go with Judaism for its supreme concept of One God of all nations.  Islam would not be an option, as it needs Christianity to whine about to be a religion in the first place.

Actually, it's pretty much dead-even between Orthodox Judaism and Mahayana Buddhism.  I would want the notion of One Supreme God,  but on the other hand the "greater vehicle" school of Buddhism reaches out to the whole world in a way that the Jews never have.  They are too insular; containing God's blessings in one small group.  So what I would be looking for is a religion with a monistic principle, but that was a personal deity, with a universal message.  Hmmm, so I would be trying to invent Christianity!  Maybe Hinduism or Zoroastrianism, so many options!
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2009, 12:29:26 AM »

A Deist in some shape or form I suppose.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42:32 AM »

Interesting question. I came from evangelical roots and would probably return to them since it's my heritage. A secondary choice would be Roman Catholic since I'm so impressed with folks like Tom Howard and Scott Hawn.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »

I'm not Orthodox (not yet, at any rate), but if I were Orthodox, and then had to not be Orthodox, then I would be one of these three: (1) Conservative Judaic; (2) Sufi; or (3) traditional Taoist.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »

Well, here's the question answered backwards. If I were not Catholic I would be Oriental Orthodox.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

Well, here's the question answered backwards. If I were not Catholic I would be Oriental Orthodox.

Because they lack the energies/essence distinction?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

Wow!  I can't even fathom being anything other than Orthodox.

Having known and experienced the Orthodox Faith....all others pale by comparison....and hold little to no interest.

It's just unimaginable.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2009, 02:47:44 PM »

Because they lack the energies/essence distinction?
One of the many reasons. I also think that their more juridical view of ecclesiology and the inclusion of the atonement in their faith is more true to the early Church than the EO view on these matters.
However, If I wasn't Catholic, and I wasn't OO, it would be really hard for me to choose at that point. There are areas where I think Lutheranism is closer to what the early church taught vs. Eastern Orthodoxy and there are areas where I think Eastern Orthodoxy is closer to what the Early Church taught. However, the EO church has valid sacraments... It would be a tough choice to sort out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:51:29 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »

Lutheranism is closer to what the early church taught vs. Eastern Orthodoxy and there are areas where I think Eastern Orthodoxy is closer to what the Early Church taught.
Really? Luther took a couple of books out of the New Testament. The epistle of James and the book of Revelations are two that I can recall. Plus, his view on the sacrament of the Eucharist was quite different in some aspects. I don't think I'd be a Lutheran if I had the choice. For being a former Augustinian monk, it seems he strayed far from traditional Roman Catholic teachings. Although, I do understand that many things were occurring during his day and age. Just my opinion, correct me if I am wrong. Blessings
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:54:01 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2009, 07:13:03 PM »

I would see myself as an Orthodox Jew - perhaps one of those Jews for Jesus .
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »

Rethinking this, if I had not become Orthodox, I would probably be a Meist now. Grin  Wait a minute! Shocked  I don't think I've really overcome being a Meist yet. Cry
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2009, 10:48:58 PM »

I would say Mathematician, but that's just boring, so maybe Physicist. Cheesy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2009, 10:51:30 PM »

I would say Mathematician, but that's just boring, so maybe Physicist. Cheesy

Behold thine God!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2009, 07:53:10 AM »

I chose Catholism but I guess I could also have voted for "Protestant with more of a liturgical bent". As a Catholic I'd definitely choose the Latin Church. I'd like to be liberal but I guess I would propably end up as a some kind of traditionalist

If I had to choose something outside of Christianity, I'd choose some form of Monotheism. Either some traditional religion (Judaism, Islam etc.) or something unsettled longing for something greater than this world.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »

Muslim maybe? Strange question.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2009, 01:41:17 PM »

Lutheranism is closer to what the early church taught vs. Eastern Orthodoxy and there are areas where I think Eastern Orthodoxy is closer to what the Early Church taught.
Really? Luther took a couple of books out of the New Testament. The epistle of James and the book of Revelations are two that I can recall. Plus, his view on the sacrament of the Eucharist was quite different in some aspects. I don't think I'd be a Lutheran if I had the choice. For being a former Augustinian monk, it seems he strayed far from traditional Roman Catholic teachings. Although, I do understand that many things were occurring during his day and age. Just my opinion, correct me if I am wrong. Blessings
Well the lack of an atonement or original sin in EO is a big issue for me. Further, the idea that God is ontologically essence and energies is a problem as well. It would be a hard choice.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2009, 01:47:37 PM »

Well the lack of an atonement or original sin in EO is a big issue for me. Further, the idea that God is ontologically essence and energies is a problem as well. It would be a hard choice.

Pope worship and invented doctrine are a big issue as well for many that wouldn't be Roman Catholic.

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »

Me too. Smiley

A Podlachian one? Wink

Well the lack of an atonement or original sin in EO is a big issue for me.

If something is put in a different way than in Roman Catholicism, it doesn't mean that it is non-existent.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »

A Podlachian one? Wink

Don't we have Tatars in our region?
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »

What's a Tridentine Catholic?  Wouldn't that be a Roman Catholic who attends the extraordinary form?  It's still sectarianism at best.

Michał
High Elder

« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2009, 01:56:05 PM »

A Podlachian one? Wink

Don't we have Tatars in our region?

You have. That's what I was alluding to! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:57:26 PM by Michał » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

I Allway loved our timeless saying, Better the sultans turban than tiara of Rome....
second choice would be Jehovah witness....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »

What's a Tridentine Catholic?  Wouldn't that be a Roman Catholic who attends the extraordinary form?  It's still sectarianism at best.
Whether it's sectarian or not, that  is not the issue at this time. Many here have listed muslim, protestant, taoist, buddhist and who knows what else but, my response got your attention , eh? Wink Well, to answer your question, a Tridentine Catholic is one that celebrates the Traditional Latin Mass and not in the vernacular. Incense, ancient vestments, bells, whistles, the whole nine yards. No musical instruments other than an organ along with Gregorian chant.  angel
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:00:43 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »

I Allway loved our timeless saying, Better the sultans turban than tiara of Rome....

Forgive me for saying this but, that is something that has always perplexed me. Unless you mean that you'd rather be Muslim than Catholic?. In that case, I get what you are saying. I always understood it to mean that one would rather be Orthodox under the Muslim yoke rather than the Catholic.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »

Forgive me for saying this but, that is something that has always perplexed me. Unless you mean that you'd rather be Muslim than Catholic?. In that case, I get what you are saying. I always understood it to mean that one would rather be Orthodox under the Muslim yoke rather than the Catholic.

Your Are Correct....I also Had a lot of jehovah witness neighbors, also attended their kingdom hall ,they were extreamly decent just plain good people,,left a great impression on me...God Bless them...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »

Your Are Correct....I also Had a lot of jehovah witness neighbors, also attended their kingdom hall ,they were extreamly decent just plain good people,,left a great impression on me...God Bless them...
But then you wouldn't be able to wear a three barred cross around your neck Tongue

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »

None of the others make any sense, so if there was no Orthodoxy I'd have to go with agnostic or deist.
aquaticus

« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »

At this point I could'nt imagine being a member of any other faith.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »

I think that there is one major problem with this thread, and that is that it is a thread on a forum on the internet. On the internet we are protected from real life in a way. The real variables that would affect our choice of communion do not exist here. We don't have to take into account the real feelings we have or the real interactions we would have without our communion existing. That being said, I don't think that everyone here would make the religious choices that they listed online. I think that in real life, when push comes to shove, those Orthodox who have posted answers that are not Christian would, in real life, not be able to abandon Christ. I think that when the rubber hit road, such persons would choose some Christian denomination. Could someo prejudices affect what particular denomination each of us would choose? Of course, but  I highly doubt that any of us could honestly conceive of abandoning the Triune God.

cholmes

« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2009, 12:01:44 AM »

Prior to my chrismation 10 years ago I attended numerous masses at the local RC parish, and had many good and fruitful discussions with the priest at the parish.  It's not a stretch to say that I would be Catholic now had I not found my home in Orthodoxy.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2009, 12:02:42 AM »

I think that there is one major problem with this thread, and that is that it is a thread on a forum on the internet. On the internet we are protected from real life in a way. The real variables that would affect our choice of communion do not exist here. We don't have to take into account the real feelings we have or the real interactions we would have without our communion existing. That being said, I don't think that everyone here would make the religious choices that they listed online. I think that in real life, when push comes to shove, those Orthodox who have posted answers that are not Christian would, in real life, not be able to abandon Christ. I think that when the rubber hit road, such persons would choose some Christian denomination. Could someo prejudices affect what particular denomination each of us would choose? Of course, but  I highly doubt that any of us could honestly conceive of abandoning the Triune God.
I think you're right.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2009, 03:16:20 AM »

Correct.
BTW, since some Catholics have answered the question in reverse, I can also give it a try. If Catholicism were not available, then I would probably convert to Eastern Orthodoxy, but I guess that I would be considered a heretic, since I don't think that I could in all honesty give up on my belief in purgatory. I just don't see people going to eternal fire in hell for lesser sins such as saying your morning prayers too inattentively.
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2009, 04:15:30 AM »

. . .I don't think that I could in all honesty give up on my belief in purgatory. I just don't see people going to eternal fire in hell for lesser sins such as saying your morning prayers too inattentively.

But there is no hell (Gehenna) right now. It will come only after the Final Judgement. Current options are either Heaven or Hades.
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2009, 06:59:52 AM »

I cannot imagine not being Orthodox but if the Church didn;t exist I would be a Anglo/Catholic 'High Church Episcopalian:. I flirted with the Religious Society of Friends during undergraduate school because of their antiwar and human rights statements.
cholmes

« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2009, 09:16:10 AM »

Correct.
BTW, since some Catholics have answered the question in reverse, I can also give it a try. If Catholicism were not available, then I would probably convert to Eastern Orthodoxy, but I guess that I would be considered a heretic, since I don't think that I could in all honesty give up on my belief in purgatory. I just don't see people going to eternal fire in hell for lesser sins such as saying your morning prayers too inattentively.

The Orthodox Church does not teach this.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »

Correct.

The Orthodox Church does not teach this.
Would grumbling or impatience with something that happened at work or on the freeway be a sin according to the Orthodox Church? This would generally be a venial sin in the RCC, which is to say a lesser sin which would not merit eternal punishment.
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2009, 01:03:34 PM »

Would grumbling or impatience with something that happened at work or on the freeway be a sin according to the Orthodox Church? This would generally be a venial sin in the RCC, which is to say a lesser sin which would not merit eternal punishment.

We do not think in such a legalistic way. For us, it's rather about the process of theosis; wether you are deified on your death or not; or wether you at least tried to become deified or not.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:04:05 PM by Michał » Logged
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »

I would probably be Roman Catholic. If I wasn't a Christian, I would probably be agnostic.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: