OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 02:07:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you were  not an Orthodox Christian, which faith do you think you would be?
Catholic - 57 (39.9%)
Evangelical Protestant - 4 (2.8%)
not very liturgical Liberal Protestant - 2 (1.4%)
Protestant with more of a liturgical bent - 18 (12.6%)
Atheist - 9 (6.3%)
Jew - 11 (7.7%)
Muslim - 9 (6.3%)
Other - 33 (23.1%)
Total Voters: 143

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What faith would you be if you weren't Orthodox?  (Read 37625 times) Average Rating: 0
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »

I thought that this might be an interesting poll.  I'd just like Orthodox people to respond to the poll please, though I suppose it would be interesting for others to make comments too.  It would be great if you told us why you decided on the option you did, and what you second choice might be. 

I chose Buddhist as my "other option".  This would have to be in a situation where there was no such thing as Orthodoxy, or if I just didn't know about it.  I know, I know, very hypothetical, or worse.  I'm not sure if my real answer might have been Catholic or Atheist.  But, I don't really have to choose, since this situation doesn't exist at all, right? 

Okay, I goofed.  I took out Buddhist by mistake.  Hey mods, can I modify this poll and put it back in?

I voted Catholic. I grew up non-practicing Catholic and started going to church again when I got to college (the opposite of a lot of people, I know), so as other people posted, that's what I'd be if I hadn't found Orthodoxy. Smiley
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2007, 02:30:18 PM »

i would be either  a Jehovah's wittness or a morman,,to me they are the nicest people of faith to ever cross my path...as a kid i use to attend a kingdom hall ...also in Utah when my motor cycle broke down it was the mormans that helped....God Bless them Both...they left me good memories...stashko
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 02:42:18 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
pathofsolitude

Faith: Immaculately Pure Hesychastic Orthodoxy of the Old Way
Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2007, 03:33:04 PM »

This is a neat topic.

If I didnt believe in the Lord Jesus I would form a religion similar to Islam. But I wouldnt fake any revelations like Mohammed did. The primary doctrine would be that God is one hypostasis and one prosopon. And there would be a strict monastic life.

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »

So if you weren't inventing your own personal form of Christianity, you'd be forming your own personal form of Islam. Hmm. It seems you just don't want to be bothered by having to be kind to anyone.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2007, 08:34:17 PM »

This is a neat topic.

If I didnt believe in the Lord Jesus I would form a religion similar to Islam. But I wouldnt fake any revelations like Mohammed did. The primary doctrine would be that God is one hypostasis and one prosopon. And there would be a strict monastic life.

HAHAHA Pathofsolitude do you actually listen to yourself your post is pretty much the same to your position now and to quote out of context " Pathofsolitude hast abolished God and made himself in His stead". Do you understand how close you sound to the people that actually create there own religions! they say that they have some special gift (for you its the "holy spirit") and then blather on about how no religion is right and only you are? Is it just me or do you see the pattern!?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
pathofsolitude

Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »

HAHAHA Pathofsolitude do you actually listen to yourself your post is pretty much the same to your position now and to quote out of context " Pathofsolitude hast abolished God and made himself in His stead". Do you understand how close you sound to the people that actually create there own religions! they say that they have some special gift (for you its the "holy spirit") and then blather on about how no religion is right and only you are? Is it just me or do you see the pattern!?

This is funny. I wonder if you would say the same thing to FRChris [see the first page I think] who jokingly said he would "create" his own religion. Even I didnt say I would "create" a religion. I just said I would form [by "form" I mean "organize" etc] a religion which would basically be based on obvious principles. I even added that I would "not fake any revelations like Mohammed did." Okay so much for your polemic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:26:53 AM by pathofsolitude » Logged

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »

Ah, but Fr. Chris's point is that there is only one true religion, and that all others are really self-serving. The spirit of his post is much different than the spirit of yours is. Here's his post again for those who don't want to search for it.

FatherChris-ism for me!

All other faiths are illusionary and made by individuals anyway; I might as well be honest about it and grab all the credit!  Wink
See? This is a very Orthodox principle. Orthodoxy is the Way. All other faiths, well-intentioned though they may be, are man-made. For as much as you seem to be interested in the one right way to believe, you seem to have missed that. It's all around you, if you are Orthodox. Every Liturgy you pray shows you God's glory; every Confession you make brings you closer to Christlikeness. Instead of spurning "religion" and "society" and whatever else you think you don't like, take a look at true religion, true Christian koinonia. It's beautiful.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2007, 06:56:55 PM »

If not orthodox, I'd of course join the most liberal catholic church I could find. If not that, then Pastafarianism it shall be for me. All hail the Holy Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and curse those infadels of the Church of the Soaring Fettucini Creature!

-nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2007, 10:53:59 PM »

If not orthodox, I'd of course join the most liberal catholic church I could find. If not that, then Pastafarianism it shall be for me. All hail the Holy Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and curse those infadels of the Church of the Soaring Fettucini Creature!

-nick

You heretic!  I am of the Alfredo baptized denomination of the CSFC!  I take that personally!  police (just wanted to use the police smiley face...no reason whatsoever)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2007, 11:06:36 PM »

If we are to assume that Orthodoxy is the only True Religion and the Fullness of Faith, if the were no Orthodoxy, there would be no true representation of the divine on on Earth; would we not then be compeled to accept that there is no divine presence on earth and thus no divine? Atheism is the only logical faith under the assumptions of Orthodox Theology, were the same not to exist. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2007, 11:23:29 PM »

If we are to assume that Orthodoxy is the only True Religion and the Fullness of Faith, if the were no Orthodoxy, there would be no true representation of the divine on on Earth; would we not then be compeled to accept that there is no divine presence on earth and thus no divine? Atheism is the only logical faith under the assumptions of Orthodox Theology, were the same not to exist. Wink

Interesting question. I wonder though, if we understand Orthodoxy (or whatever) to be the fullness of God's Revelation of God to the world, if the God does not reveal Himself, why should Atheism automatically be the only choice? All that we could logically conclude is that "no deity has revealed Itself to us".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2007, 01:17:59 AM »

Interesting question. I wonder though, if we understand Orthodoxy (or whatever) to be the fullness of God's Revelation of God to the world, if the God does not reveal Himself, why should Atheism automatically be the only choice? All that we could logically conclude is that "no deity has revealed Itself to us".
In which case, we'd be agnostic, not atheist.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2007, 01:41:07 AM »

In which case, we'd be agnostic, not atheist.

That would probably be me, since I would have come to a certain thought process of what a true religion should entail, and yet it is not available.  Nevertheless, I would say that as an agnostic, I would tend to lean towards atheism, since I would end up to fail finding this one true religion.  As many would say it best, atheism is not necessarily believing in no god, but the lack of belief in one.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2007, 02:42:43 AM »

Well personally I'd follow pathofsolitude in a religion, because if I was (not) Orthodox I think that he/she has a fairly good grasp of things. I mean he/she has the holy spirit and I can't argue with that.
Sorry for the confusion Peter.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:17:52 AM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2007, 03:40:05 AM »

well personally I'd follow pathofsolitude because if it's not Orthodox I think he has a fairly good grasp of things.
Huh? Huh
pathofsolitude

« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »

Huh? Huh

Huh? Huh

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »

Well personally I'd follow pathofsolitude in a religion, because if I was (not) Orthodox I think that he/she has a fairly good grasp of things. I mean he/she has the holy spirit and I can't argue with that.
Sorry for the confusion Peter.

LMAO Cheesy...good one.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2007, 11:45:21 AM »

LMAO Cheesy...good one.

You mean you don't want to be Trollodox, too?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »

You heretic!  I am of the Alfredo baptized denomination of the CSFC!  I take that personally!  police (just wanted to use the police smiley face...no reason whatsoever)

The CSFC is just a bunch of people who didn't like Meatballs! You broke away from us, not us from you! Look at your history!  laugh

-nick

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2007, 01:08:45 AM »

Huh? Huh
COPYCAT! Grin
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2007, 02:28:59 AM »

Pravoslavbob, aren't you able to modify the poll yourself anyway?

I think it would be better to ask what we would be if we had not discovered Orthodoxy. For me this is like asking where I would be if Christ had not come. As such, I would probably have been a Sikh as I see Sikhism as having a great deal in common with Christianity and many similiarities between its founder and our Father Abraham.

That being said, I'm glad the Orthodox Church exists! Smiley

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »

The CSFC is just a bunch of people who didn't like Meatballs! You broke away from us, not us from you! Look at your history!  laugh

-nick

Nuh-uh!  You can't catch meatballs, you make them.  Shrimp Alfredo Fettucini is our backbone Pastafarian dogma.  You catch shrimp.  The CFSM is a Church that makes things up along the way, just as you made your own history.  Tongue  angel

paradoxy
Married Hermit

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox

"Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2007, 02:34:03 PM »

I voted Catholic, (I like the Western Mass, and was elated to learn - only recently - that we have a Western Rite!  Smiley what? there's no 'elated' smilie?) but sometimes I think the Sufis are much closer to Orthodoxy in their view of the world and mindset... accepting paradox as the core of faith and praxis, instead of a rulebook.

Or Zoroastrian, or Jewish - it's about as close as it gets in terms of worship.

Or agnostic, or atheist, or Gnostic, or Satanist - if there was no Orthodoxy as it is, I'd still be rebeling against God as I imagined Him to be before I really found out about Orthodoxy (and I'm a cradle Orthodox... sorta)

And when He knew for certain
Only drowning men could see Him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"

Leonard Cohen
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2007, 06:40:04 PM »

what? there's no 'elated' smilie

Try exstatic, or even happy.
 Wink

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »

Nuh-uh!  You can't catch meatballs, you make them.  Shrimp Alfredo Fettucini is our backbone Pastafarian dogma.  You catch shrimp.  The CFSM is a Church that makes things up along the way, just as you made your own history.  Tongue  angel

You mean you would cook Ian Lazarus' avatar? I'm shocked and awed! Shocked

-nick

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »

You mean you would cook Ian Lazarus' avatar? I'm shocked and awed! Shocked

-nick

yum  Grin

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »

Pravoslavbob, aren't you able to modify the poll yourself anyway?

I don't know.  Probably.  I just don't know how.   Tongue

I think it would be better to ask what we would be if we had not discovered Orthodoxy. For me this is like asking where I would be if Christ had not come.

I know, it's kind of a weird queston.  Your idea would probably have been better.  But thanks for answering, anyway.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2007, 11:14:55 PM »

if I was not Orthodox I would just be a degenerate hedonist; that's what I gravitate toward if I slip in my prayer life; so I can't say I'd be anything nobel in some other religion.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2007, 08:39:12 PM »

Bro Aidan is the only honest man here.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2007, 09:53:20 PM »

Hey, I even admit to being a degenerate hedonist as things stand...but that's more of a philosophy than a religion. Wink

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2007, 10:08:56 PM »

Bro Aidan is the only honest man here.

Right because every non-Orthodox person is a degenerate hedonist.    Roll Eyes
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2007, 10:27:12 PM »

Right because every non-Orthodox person is a degenerate hedonist.    Roll Eyes

Oh, your statement is probably right on, though I'd extend it to include every Orthodox person as well. We're all, ultimately, pursuing some form of pleasure, whether it's physical or psychological.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2007, 03:14:30 AM »

Oh, your statement is probably right on, though I'd extend it to include every Orthodox person as well. We're all, ultimately, pursuing some form of pleasure, whether it's physical or psychological.
Speak for yourself, buddy. Angry Cool
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2007, 03:40:24 AM »

Speak for yourself, buddy. Angry Cool

Nah, I think I speak for everyone. But, of course, some get a form of pleasure out of denying this fact. Wink

Cleopas
Bible Thumping, Tongue Talking, Faith Walking Christian
Elder

Jurisdiction: Charismatic Evangelical

If I'm my own Pope then I claim infalliablity. Ha!

perfecthart
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2007, 03:49:16 AM »

Errr, uhhhh, ...

Pardon me for saying so ... But the one true religion is Christianity. I can understand why someone might call one's sect or brand of Christianity a religion. However, it is (IMO) a misnomer. And it kinda gets my goat that other sects of the Christian faith are essentially placed on a level with utterly false and non-Christian religions. At least that is the way it appeared to me.

I mean, isn't being Protestant bad enough without being compared with the Christ-less?  Embarrassed Roll Eyes laugh

Just poking fun at ya'll.  Tongue

Anywho, if I had to choose from the list I would probably say...

Evangelical protestant.  Roll Eyes Go figure.  Undecided laugh

Okay, so now I'm gonna cast my vote and actually read the other replies.  angel
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:51:09 AM by Cleopas » Logged

Cleopas
Christopher Hart

"Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees” -- John Wesley
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2007, 05:04:56 AM »

Errr, uhhhh, ...

Pardon me for saying so ... But the one true religion is Christianity. I can understand why someone might call one's sect or brand of Christianity a religion. However, it is (IMO) a misnomer. And it kinda gets my goat that other sects of the Christian faith are essentially placed on a level with utterly false and non-Christian religions. At least that is the way it appeared to me.

I mean, isn't being Protestant bad enough without being compared with the Christ-less?  Embarrassed Roll Eyes laugh

Just poking fun at ya'll.  Tongue

Anywho, if I had to choose from the list I would probably say...

Evangelical protestant.  Roll Eyes Go figure.  Undecided laugh

Right. This is what I think also. It was surprising to me that people would choose atheism over a different Christian denomination.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »

I thought that this might be an interesting poll.  I'd just like Orthodox people to respond to the poll please, though I suppose it would be interesting for others to make comments too.  It would be great if you told us why you decided on the option you did, and what you second choice might be. 

I chose Buddhist as my "other option".  This would have to be in a situation where there was no such thing as Orthodoxy, or if I just didn't know about it.  I know, I know, very hypothetical, or worse.  I'm not sure if my real answer might have been Catholic or Atheist.  But, I don't really have to choose, since this situation doesn't exist at all, right? 

Okay, I goofed.  I took out Buddhist by mistake.  Hey mods, can I modify this poll and put it back in?

Of course then you would need to decide which type of Buddhist just like you have to choose which type of Christian.

Many Buddhists , especially in the West, follow a type of Buddhist Gnosticisnm. Other forms are deeply involved with occult type pracitces. Some see a Supreme Being and have made what Christens would see as some reasonable conclustions. Others meditate and have a very sober form of spirituality, other chant for health wealth and happiness and for more and better sex.

Religon is complicated.

Marc
Former Buddhist

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2007, 02:46:38 PM »

You're casting a vote in a poll that is explicitly for us "Orthodox"?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »

While true, and Orthodoxy itself is a philokaliac religion by its own admission, some forms of pleasure are nobler than others. 
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2007, 05:11:54 PM »

Of course then you would need to decide which type of Buddhist just like you have to choose which type of Christian.

Many Buddhists , especially in the West, follow a type of Buddhist Gnosticisnm. Other forms are deeply involved with occult type pracitces. Some see a Supreme Being and have made what Christens would see as some reasonable conclustions. Others meditate and have a very sober form of spirituality, other chant for health wealth and happiness and for more and better sex.

Religon is complicated.

Marc
Former Buddhist

With so many Christian faiths to choose from why would anyone choose a less-than redemptive religion?

Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2007, 08:20:04 PM »

other chant for health wealth and happiness and for more and better sex.

Hmmm....That sounds like some of those televangelists I've seen on digital cable lately.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Cleopas
Bible Thumping, Tongue Talking, Faith Walking Christian
Elder

Jurisdiction: Charismatic Evangelical

If I'm my own Pope then I claim infalliablity. Ha!

perfecthart
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2007, 08:23:38 PM »

You're casting a vote in a poll that is explicitly for us "Orthodox"?

I thought the originator permitted non-Orthodox members to participate, though he preferred orthodox users?
If I was mistaken I will gladly withdraw my vote.

I have re-read and see that he permitted comments but asked for those such as myself not to vote.
My apologies. The vote has been rescinded.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 08:26:52 PM by Cleopas » Logged

Cleopas
Christopher Hart

"Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees” -- John Wesley
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2007, 11:48:09 PM »

With so many Christian faiths to choose from why would anyone choose a less-than redemptive religion?

I would agree, but just for arguments sake, what if the "Christian" faith was based on frivolous idea's of wealth accumulation ( mostly the Pastors Wealth in reality) as compared to a really spiritually sober Zen Buddhism that restricts the passions and offers mercy to all sentient beings ? In other words, would a really conservative Buddhism be better than a really off kilter Christianity?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2007, 05:49:15 AM »

While true, and Orthodoxy itself is a philokaliac religion by its own admission, some forms of pleasure are nobler than others. 

Some forms of pleasure may be nobler (at least in the eyes of those pursuing them) than others; but in the end you're still pursuing pleasure, you're still a hedonist. Wink

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »

I would agree, but just for arguments sake, what if the "Christian" faith was based on frivolous idea's of wealth accumulation ( mostly the Pastors Wealth in reality) as compared to a really spiritually sober Zen Buddhism that restricts the passions and offers mercy to all sentient beings ? In other words, would a really conservative Buddhism be better than a really off kilter Christianity?
I saw an article which claimed that according to a particular non-Christian religion, one of the  questions that will be asked of you at judgement time, will be how much money did you leave to your family. To some extent, I suppose that Christians will also be subject to a question like this concerning family responsibilites.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: