OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 04:48:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much could Jesus bench press?  (Read 4721 times) Average Rating: 1
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »

But just to refresh our minds of something Very Important:
"The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us and we beheld His Glory, full of Grace and Truth."

Which makes your revival of this benighted thread all the more unpalatable, to put it mildly.  Tongue Angry
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:39:45 AM by LBK » Logged
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »

But just to refresh our minds of something Very Important:
"The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us and we beheld His Glory, full of Grace and Truth."

Exactly. He was infinite, He was God in the flesh, just humbled Himself to a certain kind of earthly life. Yet, He performed many miracles, revealed Himself as transfigured and resurrected which go way beyond strictly physical power.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:03:16 AM by IoanC » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2014, 10:15:10 AM »

sorry.

yes, I know it's Wednesday - well it was when I posted it, therefore a fast day.
You eat worms on a fast day?

Duh duh, duh duh, duh duh duh, NIGHTCRAWLER!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »

This thread needs a serious question: Can you eat alligator on a fast day?  Is it a fish for fasting porpoises?  Speaking of porpoises, are they, whales, dolphins, seas turtles, sea snakes, seals etc fasting foods?  Not that I would eat any of those, it's just that one of my favorite taco joints has an alligator taco and I wonder if that would be a good fasting food.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »

This thread needs a serious question: Can you eat alligator on a fast day? 

If you're a Roman Catholic, the answer is yes:

Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »

This thread needs a serious question: Can you eat alligator on a fast day?  Is it a fish for fasting porpoises?  Speaking of porpoises, are they, whales, dolphins, seas turtles, sea snakes, seals etc fasting foods?  Not that I would eat any of those, it's just that one of my favorite taco joints has an alligator taco and I wonder if that would be a good fasting food.
+1

laugh

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
kyril

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada - OCA

« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »

aren't alligators a 'protected species?'. Angry

kyril
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2014, 02:18:59 AM »

I don't know why they would be. They're so common in Florida and Louisiana.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2014, 02:24:53 AM »

Yeah, so much that I've heard they're often pests. There are plenty of videos on youtube of people finding them in their pools.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »

Yeah, so much that I've heard they're often pests. There are plenty of videos on youtube of people finding them in their pools.

Maybe Jesus could bench press a big one.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Incognito777
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2014, 01:04:47 AM »

An infinite being, which Jesus is [God], cannot do something arbitrary or whimsical. The question of how much Jesus could bench press, is a non sequitur.
Ikonos
O' Lord, Sinner though I am, make me worthy of thy Mysteries

Faith: Baptised Anglican, heading to Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Christendom

Kyrios Iesous Christos Santa Maria

« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »

There are various accounts of the Superhuman Strength of Saints, so we can be sure Jesus could bench-press more than anyone.
From the Acts of John (Apocrypha, Jesus tugs on John's beard:

Paragraph 90

...so that I was afraid and cried out, and he, turning about, appeared as a man of small stature, and caught hold on my beard and pulled it and said to me: John, be not faithless but believing, and not curious. And I said unto him: But what have I done, Lord? And I say unto you, brethren, I suffered so great pain in that place where he took hold on my beard for thirty days, that I said to him: Lord, if thy twitch when thou wast in sport hath given me so great pain, what were it if thou hadst given me a buffet? And he said unto me: Let it be thine henceforth not to tempt him that cannot be tempted.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/actsjohn.html

Wrestling with Elder Paisios
There was a young man who had grown up around a Buddhist monastery and spent a lot of time around the elder.  Even though the elder was kindly trying to help him, the young man decided that he wanted to test the elder’s strength, and he grabbed Father Paisios from behind and tried to crush his frail body with his muscular arms.  Irreverently, he said, “Hey, let’s see if Saint Arsenios can help you now!”

As the elder told me later, “As soon as I heard him say that I felt as though he had uttered blasphemy.  I moved my hand slightly, like this, and immediately saw him cast six feet away and slammed against the wall.

From 'The Gurus, The Young Man, & Elder Paisios by Dionysios Farasiotis
http://theirheartsshallliveforever.yolasite.com/the-gurus-the-young-man-and-elder-paisios.php

Saint Seraphim of Sarov
....After this incident Seraphim spent 1,000 successive nights on a rock in continuous prayer with his arms raised to the sky, an almost super-human feat of asceticism, especially considering the pain from his injuries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraphim_of_Sarov

In a fallen state of captivity, I seek to exchange Pearls of Wisdom with the few repentant Philokalists who roam this domain.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: