OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 10:21:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official OC.net East Coast GetTogether  (Read 1967 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: May 27, 2003, 03:00:32 PM »

HELLO!

With summer in full gear(almost!) and the weather starting to get nice, it is time to call together our first annual official OrthodoxChristianity.Net get-together!!

I have mentioned this time before, but this time I do need a headcount so I can start making plans.

We have a plethora of options.

Ideally, an opportune time for us to get together would most likely be sometime in July or August. Due to schedule constraints, kids, work, summer school, I am sure we can pick a date that wouldn't conflict too much with everything.

First question: One day event or multiple? If multiple, we would need to make sure people had a place to stay and of course have enough activities to keep busy.

Second question: BBQ like affair? Everyone gather at some location or someone's house, all chip in a few bucks and have a good time just relaxing or talking? Or would you want to go the route of maybe a trip to an amusement park, or maybe a tour/walk around washington DC?

Third Question: Where should we hold this? Someone had suggested PA, but that is a far drive for us folks down south.

The more ideas teh better, I think by mid june we should have it down pat so I can go ahead and make the necessary preparations, send you out information packets, etc.

Thanks!

Bobby
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 04:17:44 PM »

Why not hold it somewhere in Virginia? That would be a central location for most people.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 05:53:27 PM »

XB!

Hmmm.  Why don't we take a poll and see who is willing to travel and go from there?  For me NYC would be best but I realize that might not be for many.  So, the other options are Philadelphia, Baltimore, or DC.  Or farther south?  

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 06:16:59 PM »

Have it in the south. The north is dreadful.

Matt
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 06:23:05 PM »

Most of the East coast folk seem to centered arounf NYC or DC, so probably somewhere between those to metropolias. And sometime after the Apostles Fast for both calendars.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 06:38:49 PM by -Â¥-+-¦-+-+-¦-¦ » Logged

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 08:10:31 PM »

Have it in the south. The north is dreadful.

Matt

Matt,

That statement will go a long way fostering North-South relations  Wink

Where in the South do you propose?

Tony

I'll see you when yo
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 10:41:43 PM »

All I know is that yesterday in NYC it was freezing. Of course down in NC, it's not much better, but at least we have Bojangles and no toll roads.  

:disco:

Matt
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 10:44:05 PM by Frobisher » Logged
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 07:02:53 AM »

Virginia sounds good to me.  Of course, most of us were planning on being in Raliegh around the 4th of July so perhaps we could do something then as well.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 01:39:58 PM »

All I know is that yesterday in NYC it was freezing. Of course down in NC, it's not much better, but at least we have Bojangles and no toll roads.  

:disco:

Matt

Matt,

XB!

If you were here you would know it was not "freezing."  It was cool, I prefer that to the stifling heat.  Everyone here is delighted about the weather.  

Tony

I'll see you when yo
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 03:30:10 PM »

I'm interested - Raleigh sounds prohibitive as my car has 150,000+ miles on it now, but anywhere mid-Atlantic would be great.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 04:29:26 PM »

I like DC. Sometime in early August would be good. Yes, I know that is around the time of the apostle's fast.  Maybe then right before like the last weekend in July.  The reason is I am going to NC in August and I could just go to DC first.  I really want to be able to go to the get together since I am one of the admins!  Cheesy

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2003, 05:18:07 PM »

Christos Anesti!

I'm game anywhere on the East Coast.

Depending on the number of people attending, I think a one full day BBQ thing and a lunch the day would be great. For the BBQ thing, maybe we could rent a covering in one of the Parks around where we are going to meet.

I know that there are plenty of parks around DC area where we can do that.

Would be nice if we could do it on a Sat and all of us attend a liturgy on Sunday.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 05:33:52 PM by TomS » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 05:39:12 PM »

I like DC. Sometime in early August would be good. Yes, I know that is around the time of the apostle's fast.  Maybe then right before like the last weekend in July.  The reason is I am going to NC in August and I could just go to DC first.  I really want to be able to go to the get together since I am one of the admins!  Cheesy

anastasios

umm, when would you be coming back north?  Early August in the DC area can be, how to put this.... Hotter then blazes. Cheesy  Yes, some years it's 80's and dry, but other years perhaps the words "Stifling, muggy, a scorcher and H-cubed (Hazy, hot and humid" give some of the idea.

Seems like we need a time and place where the southerners can wear coats and the northerners shorts just in case.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 06:49:36 PM »

D.C. will work... there's supposed to be a bar there with 2000 types of beer.  Perhaps I might get there a day early. Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: