OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 10:31:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did you ever say that would you not join the Orthodox Church?
I was raised Orthodox - 11 (19.6%)
Yes I said that I would not join the Orthodox Church but was eventually baptised. - 8 (14.3%)
Yes & I am still not in The Orthodox Church - 2 (3.6%)
Yes, I'm a Roman/Latin Catholic - 3 (5.4%)
No I never said that before I was baptised - 19 (33.9%)
No I never said that & have not yet been baptised in The Orthodox Church - 6 (10.7%)
Other (Please explain) - 7 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who weren't going to join The Orthodox Church  (Read 4805 times) Average Rating: 0
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« on: October 07, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »

You are allowed to change your vote and there is no time limit.

For those willing to, please also discuss:

In your former life, before baptism, what were your views about The Church?

Thank you, peace be with you and pray for me.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:52:53 PM »

I'm not baptized yet, so I can't vote yet, but there was a time when I said I wouldn't join.  I wanted to, but had issues: women's ordination, cremation, etc.  I was also a bit more of a "liberal" thinker in those days.  My conversion was a slow process, but thanks to our poster Panagiotis and lots of research, I finally came around.  Smiley

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:55:34 AM »

On my journey to Orthodoxy, I once said, "I would not join the Orthodox Church" but the Holy Spirit touched me as  I read about the early Church and I knew that the Orthodox Church was where that Church was and I became Orthodox.

Thomas
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:40:56 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:50:17 AM »

Grace and Peace,

I'm still Catholic and I'm still in active with my Catholic Parish Priest as well as an ongoing dialogue with an Orthodox Parish Priest. I am actively studying Orthodoxy and Patristics and find them very interesting but I'm not sure I can 'convert' myself and my family....

Pray for me. God Bless.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 12:42:36 PM »

From the time that I attended my first Orthodox liturgical service (which was vespers) I knew that I was home.  Of course, I did lots of reading to confirm this intuition.  Before attending an Orthodox service, I just had the vague notion that Orthodoxy was like some kind of Catholic Church of the East.  I respected the Church in so far as it went, but I didn't really know about its identity.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »

Nyssa The Hobbit, feel free to post as though baptised if you're planning on becoming so soon please.

Thomas, it appears we have somewhat in common Smiley

ignatius, +may the Lord guide you in Truth. This name is precious to me also for it was the main other name I considered for my baptismal name.

Pravoslavbob, respect is always honourable my friend. Pray for me please.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
seandoe

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:46:57 PM »

I am in the same boat as IGNATIUS,  "I'm still Catholic and I'm still in active with my Catholic Parish Priest as well as an ongoing dialogue with an Orthodox Parish Priest. I am actively studying Orthodoxy and Patristics and find them very interesting but I'm not sure I can 'convert' myself and my family...."

Pray for me. God Bless.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 01:30:10 AM »

Never said it, but wasn't baptized...rather, chrismated...being picky, I know.

Ten years ago this is definitely not where I would have pictured myself today; now I can't see myself anywhere else.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
TKGS

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Huh

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 09:07:40 AM »

I was baptized a Roman Catholic.  I was raised a Roman Catholic.  I voted "other", however, because I can't honestly say that I ever declared that I would never join the Orthodox Church, it simply was never an issue.

On the other hand, the Catholic Church has had some serious problems over the past 40+ years though I gather many on this forum would say there have been serious problems in the Catholic Church for a few centuries.

I am simply searching for the Truth and joined this forum in an effort to gather more information.  Reading some of the posts on this forum have already shown me that at least some of what I was taught about Orthodox doctrine (by Catholics) is false.  The fact that even pre-Vatican II sources mischaracterized (whether intentionally or unintentionally out of ignorance, I don't know) the doctrines of the Orthodox troubles me greatly.

I intend to contribute very little to this forum.  It is my desire to simply learn about the Orthodox and to understand the viewpoint of the disagreements between the Orthodox and the Catholics.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 09:20:37 AM »

Welcome TKGS!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:07:47 AM »

Hello,

I am a Latin Rite Catholic - one who declares that I will never join the Orthodox Church. At least not in the sense of a conversion from Catholicism, as I do view us as essentially being One Church.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »

Never said it, but wasn't baptized...rather, chrismated...being picky, I know.

Ten years ago this is definitely not where I would have pictured myself today; now I can't see myself anywhere else.

Yes, a year before my chrismation,  I would have burned an icon. Shocked

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 11:53:27 PM »

Yes, a year before my chrismation,  I would have burned an icon. Shocked

Weren't you a Muslim before?

I have not become Orthodox...yet. I will do so, though, very soon.

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

Ialmisry:

I'm a bit confused.  Why would you have burnt an icon before?  I thought Lutherans were not nearly as iconoclastic as Calvinists et al. 
Art Nichols

Faith: Orthodox Christian (catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OCA-Archdiocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 11:19:18 PM »

Before i discovered Orthodoxy I wondered what religion was like the early Christians. I considered Shia Islam, Roman Catholicism, and Orthodoxy. I did research on all three of them. I chose Orthodoxy. The reason why i chose Orthodoxy was because Islam and Catholicism had fatal flaws in them and Orthodoxy had no flaws at all. So now I'm an Orthodox Catecumen on the way to chrismation.

One is Orthodox all the time every day, in every situation of life, or one is not really Orthodox at all.-Father Seraphim Rose
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 10:40:40 AM »

Hello,

Before i discovered Orthodoxy I wondered what religion was like the early Christians. I considered Shia Islam, Roman Catholicism, and Orthodoxy. I did research on all three of them. I chose Orthodoxy. The reason why i chose Orthodoxy was because Islam and Catholicism had fatal flaws in them and Orthodoxy had no flaws at all. So now I'm an Orthodox Catecumen on the way to chrismation.
I am curious on two points:

1) How did you see Islam as being related to early Christianity?

2) What do you see as the fatal flaw(s) of Catholicism?

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Art Nichols

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 11:04:44 AM »

Hello,
I am curious on two points:

1) How did you see Islam as being related to early Christianity?

2) What do you see as the fatal flaw(s) of Catholicism?

I thought that Islam would be related to early Christianity because there was a sect of Christians called the Ebionites. But i found that Islam had way too many rules.

The problem that i had with Catholicism was over the Pope. I belive that he was to be the first among equals, not to rule the whole Christian Church. (plus just recently the Pope dropped the Title "Patriarch of the West")

One is Orthodox all the time every day, in every situation of life, or one is not really Orthodox at all.-Father Seraphim Rose
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 05:20:38 PM »

Hello,

I thought that Islam would be related to early Christianity because there was a sect of Christians called the Ebionites. But i found that Islam had way too many rules.

The problem that i had with Catholicism was over the Pope. I belive that he was to be the first among equals, not to rule the whole Christian Church. (plus just recently the Pope dropped the Title "Patriarch of the West")
Thanks for the information - though I am unfamiliar with the Ebionites.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Art Nichols

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »

Hello,
Thanks for the information - though I am unfamiliar with the Ebionites.

The Ebionites were an early Christian sect that claimed that Jesus was just a prophet (like the Muslims do today).

Here's more info on them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebionites

If you compared these people to the Orthodox Church, you would know right off the bat that the Ebionites were heritics.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 08:54:56 PM »

Hello,

The Ebionites were an early Christian sect that claimed that Jesus was just a prophet (like the Muslims do today).

If you compared these people to the Orthodox Church, you would know right off the bat that the Ebionites were heritics.

Thanks.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Art Nichols

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »

Thanks.

Ur welcome.

Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 03:01:36 AM »

That is very interesting. I seriously considered Islam for less than a year and came close to conversion. My discovery of the Ebionites was also a reason why I considered it. They were similar in beliefs to Muslims, but they denied the Virgin Birth. I looked at Shia Islam, but I felt that the Sunni were closer to Muhammad's teachings. I really liked the Sufis and found many similarities between Christian mysticism and the Sufis. For me, the rules were not discouraging at all and that would have been a bad reason not to convert (or revert as Muslims say...). It really came down to the concept of God and Christ (especially forgiveness of sins/atonement). Once I came to understand the Trinity as monotheism and the proper view of atonement, I could not possibly consider Islam. Plus, the martyrs and miracles were too great to ignore. On top of that, I truly experienced God's presence, the sweet smells of fragrances and the greatest unspeakable joy (not just feeling good, but an inner joy) while reading about Orthodoxy. I cannot explain it--you'll just have to take my honest word for it.

Last weekend, I made my intentions known to the priest that I would like to enter into the Orthodox Church. It was the weekend of my 20th birthday and I felt that it would be an ideal time...Please pray for me as I continue my journey (it has been over 3 years now).

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 10:32:52 AM »

Alexius,

Our prayers are with you as you make this journey. 

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 12:10:16 PM »

I was originally baptized a Roman Catholic which the Antiochian Orthodox Church viewed as a valid baptism. But, no I never said that I would never be Orthodox. My father's family was Orthodox and as I got older I began to admire the Orthodox churhc from afar until I finally took the plunge.

God bless you on your journey.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »

Last weekend, I made my intentions known to the priest that I would like to enter into the Orthodox Church. It was the weekend of my 20th birthday and I felt that it would be an ideal time...Please pray for me as I continue my journey (it has been over 3 years now).
Glory Be to God!
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »

Glory to God indeed!

Wonderful news, Alexius! Please keep us abreast of developments!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tags: never the Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: