OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:29:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Map of incidents of terrorism, etc.  (Read 2094 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: October 04, 2007, 01:33:22 PM »

This was recently forwarded to me.  Click on the link and you get a map of the world with various icons to denote government activities, terrorist attacks, bomb threats, etc.  I don't know how accurate this is (if at all), but just lookin in the left hand corner of what is going on, it really makes me glad for my "uninteresting" life.

See what you think.  http://www.globalincidentmap.com/home.php

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Sophie

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »

No it is not that accurate.Spain for example is not included and it does suffer from terrorist attacks. So I guess, it is rather worse than that.Now that I have a better look though, it seems that it is a constantly updated map so, it could be accurate for the time being.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:50:40 PM by Sophie » Logged

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:56:32 PM »

Now that I have a better look though, it seems that it is a constantly updated map so, it could be accurate for the time being. 

That seems to be its purpose - to give a current picture of recent terrorist activities, not a full historical map.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:58:57 PM »

I can't tell the timeframe, but I find it hard to believe Russia doesn't score even one little flame icon given the number of Chechen terrorist acts in the relatively recent past.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Sophie

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:04:28 PM »

That was my point, Spain has had recent terrorist attacks - minor in comparison to other countries´ - but I think this map has the memory of a fish, it seems it only reflects the very latest incidents.

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:12:09 PM »

That was my point, Spain has had recent terrorist attacks - minor in comparison to other countries´ - but I think this map has the memory of a fish, it seems it only reflects the very latest incidents.

Uh, the settings right underneath the map say that it's for the last seven days.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Sophie

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »

Right, this is my point.Seven days is good but it is short.We had an explosion only last week, and the map shows Spain clear which is actual but it is deceiving because ETA is active here, just takes its time between attacks.So I guess, it could happen to other countries.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »

Right, this is my point.Seven days is good but it is short.We had an explosion only last week, and the map shows Spain clear which is actual but it is deceiving because ETA is active here, just takes its time between attacks.So I guess, it could happen to other countries.

Which would defeat the apparent purpose of the map.  By having such a short time frame as the default (and it's adjustable), it indicates the map is supposed to be an indicator of where incidents are occuring now, not where they've happened historically.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Sophie

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 02:31:52 PM »

You are right of course. Setting the map on a 30 day span shows a far more disconcerting reality.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »

Just scroll down and change the map settings to "30 days" instead of "7".  Then Spain will have a few spots.

I think leaving it at 7 Days is good, though, because it reinforces the fact that suspicious activities (and terrorist-type stuff) is happening very frequently.  While it could be used to stir up fear and whatnot, I think it's good to realize what is going on to maintain an awareness of what our brethren are suffering, how thankful we should be to God, and how vulnerable we truly are.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Sophie

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »

And to conclude, what I mean to say and hope to get my point through is that the map indicates only something which in my opinion is rather bigger. The reference to the map was purely for the sake of it being used as reference.

Sophie

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:17 PM »

This is why I said thirty days, please let us not split hairs.It is an opinion, you know.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 03:06:07 PM »

please let us not split hairs.It is an opinion, you know.

But, my dear sister, that's what this site is all about. We very innocently become members thinking we'll learn something about Orthodoxy and then...it hits us; this person just said something incorrect and we must, we must at all costs, correct them. Often it doesn't really matter at all but that's not the point. We can't let another second go by without correcting them. And not only must we correct them, we must do it in a condescending manner by beginning with, "Uh,...". You must not have read the purpose as stated in the agreement form. I mean.. Uh, did you not bother to read the agreement form in it's entirety?!  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 03:44:07 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

I suddenly feel compelled to correct you of something... but what?  Cheesy

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 04:49:18 PM »

But, my dear sister, that's what this site is all about. We very innocently become members thinking we'll learn something about Orthodoxy and then...it hits us; this person just said something incorrect and we must, we must at all costs, correct them. Often it doesn't really matter at all but that's not the point. We can't let another second go by without correcting them. And not only must we correct them, we must do it in a condescending manner by beginning with, "Uh,...". You must not have read the purpose as stated in the agreement form. I mean.. Uh, did you not bother to read the agreement form in it's entirety?!  Wink

Or I wrote my post before she wrote hers, but didn't post it until a minute and a half after hers.

Oh, that would be splitting hairs.

But indirectly condemning someone for pointing something out that another poster may have missed on the site they were looking at, that isn't condescending, is it? Wink

---------------------
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 05:11:24 PM »

Or I wrote my post before she wrote hers, but didn't post it until a minute and a half after hers.

Oh, that would be splitting hairs.

But indirectly condemning someone for pointing something out that another poster may have missed on the site they were looking at, that isn't condescending, is it? Wink
Relax, friend, I wasn't referring to you.  Wink Feeling guily 'bout something?  Shocked  Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 05:26:56 PM »

Relax, friend, I wasn't referring to you.  Wink Feeling guily 'bout something?  Shocked  Cheesy

Nah... just ornery.

---------------------
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »

Nah... just ornery.

I see that alot here in the South, and everytime I do, it sounds like the person is looking to relieve himself.

I know that aint what it means, but, it just sounds like it.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: