OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 11:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Achieving Your Potential in Christ--Fr. Anthony Coniaris  (Read 4739 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: October 03, 2007, 08:53:18 PM »

Has anyone read this book?  What do you think?  Has there been any controversy concerning this book?

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »

http://theosis.riewe.com/

Now I HAVE to read it.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 08:58:15 PM »

Now I HAVE to read it.

lol...this was in a Coptic website as well, but I never got the chance to just sit down and read it.  It seems very simplistic.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:01:01 PM »

I don't think Fr. Anthony writes for seminarians  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 09:05:57 PM »

I'm just starting to read it this week.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 09:17:09 PM »

No idea...just that the title sounds very....uhhh...Osteen-like.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »

I saw his quick reference to Tilhard deChardin.  First time I hard about him though was from a Greek Orthodox priest who seemed to tell me what Fr. Coniaris is saying here, but I haven't cared to read him either, although it seems very interesting.  The second time I read this name was when some Orthodox were actually condemning his writings.  So, perhaps, the mention of deChardin and "evolution" may seem to create a controversy.

No idea...just that the title sounds very....uhhh...Osteen-like.

lol...interesting
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:22:04 PM by minasoliman » Logged

falafel333
Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »

I saw his quick reference to Tilhard deChardin.  First time I hard about him though was from a Greek Orthodox priest who seemed to tell me what Fr. Coniaris is saying here, but I haven't cared to read him either, although it seems very interesting.  The second time I read this name was when some Orthodox were actually condemning his writings.  So, perhaps, the mention of deChardin and "evolution" may seem to create a controversy.

lol...interesting

Dear Mina,

The writings of Fr Anthony are being condemned here as far as I know only in the Coptic church and only because he happens to be a popular author who is widely read amongst the youth of the Coptic church and presents teaching on theosis, a teaching which has been condemned as blasphemous and heretical by HH Pope Shenouda III amongst others.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 10:24:07 PM »

As I noted, Fr Anthony is not writing for seminarians or theologians (but maybe should be more careful anyway). I understand the specific problem the Copts have with this book is in its not being clear that theosis is not our joining God in essence. I can see this as problematic myself.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 10:31:18 PM »

As I noted, Fr Anthony is not writing for seminarians or theologians (but maybe should be more careful anyway). I understand the specific problem the Copts have with this book is in its not being clear that theosis is not our joining God in essence. I can see this as problematic myself.

Or more so that they interpreted it as if he said joining God "in essence"

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 10:37:09 PM »

Now I HAVE to read it.
The link says "account suspended".... What's all the hubbub, bub?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:40:05 PM »

The link says "account suspended".... What's all the hubbub, bub?

WOW...just three minutes ago, it was fine!!!  Angry

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 11:01:09 PM »

Bummer.

maybe here:

http://www.geocities.com/verseoftheday/theosis.html

May have to ignore some Evangelical commentary and it's only 3 of 4 chapter.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:20:45 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 11:04:14 PM »

Or more so that they interpreted it as if he said joining God "in essence"

yes.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 11:23:18 PM »

Here's another one...let's hope this one doesn't go either...notice the similar html

http://www.geocities.com/verseoftheday/theosis.html

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 11:29:42 PM »

Strange they don't give Part 4...wonder why? Copywrite issues?

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »

Strange they don't give Part 4...wonder why? Copywrite issues?

I wondered that myself....also, the book has been "edited" by this G. A. Henry...perhaps, I'm just going to buy the book

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 03:06:27 AM »

The title DOES seem kind of "Best-Life-Now-ish," huh?  Undecided

My experience w/Fr. Anthony is that, as Αριστοκλής noted, he doesn't write for the learnèd or bookish, necessarily, and because of that, I love him.

I don't find anything heretical about his Introducing the Orthodox Church, and it is that book (instead of anything by Ware) that I would give to the not-so-intellectually-inclined members of my family if they wanted to know about Orthodoxy.  He's excellent at doing what my grandparents called "putting the cookies on the bottom shelf," or making things interesting and exciting for those of us not on the level of serious, literary criticism and tradition and canons and such.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 05:51:52 AM »

Fr Anthony has a chapter in his book clearly titled "What theosis is not" where he clearly contrasts the Orthodox doctrine on theosis with new age teachings on pantheism clearly stating that in Orthodoxy man does not partake of the essence of God.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 07:53:48 AM »

Ah!  Maybe that is part of Part 4 and I misunderstood the copywrite non-issue. Original link above working again, so far..

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 10:15:44 AM »

Notice how this one has a different editor...D.A. Riewe

Why the different editors?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 11:22:55 AM »

Might be interesting to make a side-by-side comparison of the text. I still wonder if these have been published with permission.

genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 10:29:35 AM »

I read the book for the first time as an inquirer. The premise of the book caught my attention and proved to be quite correct. I was coming from the Free Methodist Church (Wesleyan doctrine, traditional conservative holiness) and felt that I was reading about the Wesleyan doctrine of Entire Sanctification. I know the Orthodox Church would continue to lead me toward holiness. Since then, I have learned how this happens much more effectively in Orthodoxy than in evangelical Protestantism. Yes, both doctrines find their source in the Early Fathers. It was an easy to read introduction. I'm glad I read it - and have done so as recently again as this past summer.

Jim
Tags: theosis  Anthony Coniaris  Coniaris Fr. Anthony Coniaris 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: