OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:21:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prostopinije on CD?  (Read 1045 times) Average Rating: 0
Maksim

« on: October 03, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »

Can anyone recommend any CDs of Carpatho-Rusyn Prostopinije, either in English or Slavonic?  I'm mostly looking for CDs, but if anyone can point me to any free online sources, that would be great too. Smiley
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 02:28:03 PM »

The Byzantine Catholic Church's Metropolitan Cantor Institute has extensive recordings of prostopinije in both English (in both the so-called "new music" and Resurrection Matins in the "old music") and a treasure trove of hymns in Slavonic that were made in the 1970s to accompany the Papp and Petraševič Irmologion

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Maksim

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:48:06 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but is the "new music" only applicable for English usage, or Slavonic as well?  I also wonder how it compares to what is found in a typical Orthodox Ruthenian parish (such as ACROD).  I know there's an ongoing controversy within the BCC over the Revised Divine Liturgy, but I've really only been able to follow the translation issue.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:08:07 AM »

The "new music" only applies to the English and is an attempt (and I stress the word attempt) to make the English translations fit better to the traditional prostopinije melodies.  When the liturgy was first translated into English 40 years ago, the rule of thumb re: the music was to keep it simple.  The new rule of thumb, apparently, is to try to complicate, for lack of a better word, the melodies, bringing them closer to the original Slavonic.  In some cases it works well; in others, it doesn't work at all.  IMHO, I think the times that the new music has failed (to my ear) is largely due to poor translation (not necessarily anything heretical, just "bad English") and an attempt to make the words fit the music instead of the other way around.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 01:02:15 AM »

St. Michael's Greek Catholic Church in Binghamton, which is a parish of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese sells CD's of Prostopinije.

http://www.saintmichaels.info/

They also maintain a good library of music printed in English and Slavonic (but in Latinica).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:02:41 AM by welkodox » Logged
Tags: Prostopinije 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: