OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:32:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?
Yes - 77 (41%)
No - 78 (41.5%)
Maybe - 13 (6.9%)
Unsure - 13 (6.9%)
Other (Explain) - 7 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 188

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?  (Read 95372 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #495 on: November 28, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »

The ancient Vesperal Hymn of the Church, "O Gladsome Light", is "Fos Ilaron" in Greek, and "ilaron" is where we get the English word "hilarious" from. Also "St. Euphrosyne" and "St. Euphrosynos", derive their names from "evfroseni" meanining "cheerfulness".

But neither of these point toward any kind of trite amusements.  Gladness, cheerfulness and hilarity are all wonderful emotions from God, but often with "fun" people are referring to distractions or activities which arouse the passions.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #496 on: November 28, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »

The ancient Vesperal Hymn of the Church, "O Gladsome Light", is "Fos Ilaron" in Greek, and "ilaron" is where we get the English word "hilarious" from. Also "St. Euphrosyne" and "St. Euphrosynos", derive their names from "evfroseni" meanining "cheerfulness".

But neither of these point toward any kind of trite amusements.  Gladness, cheerfulness and hilarity are all wonderful emotions from God, but often with "fun" people are referring to distractions or activities which arouse the passions.
What He Said!  Grin

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #497 on: November 28, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »

Well, "trite amusements" is rather a value judgement, maybe.  A small child, happy with his/her costume and being an elephant or a princess or a rocketship or a hobbit or elf or ear-of-corn or any of a myriad of dress-up outfits would be to me, glad and cheerful. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #498 on: November 28, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »

Kind of like anonymous internet messageboards where it's incredibly easy to hop on one's high horse and act like you're so far above the rabble who indulge in petty internet arguments because one knows that one is here for purely dispassionate reasons.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #499 on: November 28, 2009, 09:36:53 PM »

But neither of these point toward any kind of trite amusements.  Gladness, cheerfulness and hilarity are all wonderful emotions from God, but often with "fun" people are referring to distractions or activities which arouse the passions.
You mean like drinking alcohol?
Because thats what Psalm 103:15 in the LXX says when it ususes the word "euphraine" from which we get "euphrosynos":
"And wine which gladdens (euphraine) the heart of man".
So this pious, God-given, gladness of heart of which you speak comes to us through wine.

Kind of like anonymous internet messageboards where it's incredibly easy to hop on one's high horse and act like you're so far above the rabble who indulge in petty internet arguments because one knows that one is here for purely dispassionate reasons.

LOL!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:37:18 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #500 on: November 28, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »

^ You got me there, sir. I submit to your irrefutably, indefineable reasoning. I shall post no more. Tongue

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #501 on: November 28, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »

Well it's not very fun climbing on a high horse when people just knock you down!   Cheesy
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #502 on: November 29, 2009, 03:36:59 AM »

Just so everybody knows, I was talking about "puritanical" in regards to Americas religious past, not Christianity in general.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #503 on: November 29, 2009, 04:01:10 AM »

Just so everybody knows, I was talking about "puritanical" in regards to Americas religious past, not Christianity in general.

It appears to me that though the West might be the source of "puritanical" rules and external correctness within Christianity this attitude is not absent from some Orthodox circles. The more I understand Orthodoxy (and I'm no expert), the more I think of this as being something superimposed and foreign to Orthodoxy. On the other hand, I could be completely wrong.   Undecided  Huh
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:04:49 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #504 on: November 30, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »

All religions have groups of people within them who are very legalistic and "Puritanical".  Just loo at the Hasidim Jews or Wahhabi Muslims.  I'm sure even a group as far out as the Unitarians have some type of "inner circle" of strict adherent's to whatever it is they exactly believe these days.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #505 on: December 01, 2009, 03:39:22 PM »

All religions have groups of people within them who are very legalistic and "Puritanical".  Just loo at the Hasidim Jews or Wahhabi Muslims.  I'm sure even a group as far out as the Unitarians have some type of "inner circle" of strict adherent's to whatever it is they exactly believe these days.
Just look at B'Hai! Wink

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #506 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »

I posted a thread asking if anyone around here ever questioned the celebration of Christmas as some Protestants regard it as a continuation of pre-Christian pagan holiday. Anyone want to share?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #507 on: December 08, 2009, 12:14:48 PM »

Of course "No"
It's foolishly
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #508 on: December 08, 2009, 05:56:15 PM »

I posted a thread asking if anyone around here ever questioned the celebration of Christmas as some Protestants regard it as a continuation of pre-Christian pagan holiday. Anyone want to share?
On this thread, no. I will share what I have to say about that subject on that thread, so as to keep this one about Halloween.

Anyone interested in that thread should follow this link:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24745.0.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:58:57 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #509 on: February 11, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »

Here's a pumpkin carving idea for this year:

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #510 on: July 25, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »

I personally hate the holiday.  kids dress up as monsters and parade around, asking for candy?  I think it's a bit dangerous, for starters, for children to go door-to-door for treats.  who knows if their tampered with?  what if the child is stolen from the porch by the homeowner?  also, I know it's a Pagan holiday, so I don't see why any Christian, Jew or Muslim should celebrate it.  I think it's OK to add some superstition and cultural trends to Church feast days, such as Christmas (Santa, elves, presents, etc.) 

and this is just a personal one.  But every Holloween, my sister goes with her friends, my mother goes to bed early, and I'm left to hand out candy!  last year, I just wanted to read a good book, and I kept getting interrupted by "trick or treat". 

for religous reasons, I don't think it's apropreate for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween.  it's interesting the way our culture is... we get 2 weeks off for Christmas, but, at school, nobody has ever even heard of Holy Theophany!  and my priest says that we should try to take time off of school and work to come to Church on this day.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #511 on: July 25, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »

Popularity of Halloween might have to do with puritannicalism of widespread Calvinism (ie. the funamentalists see the world in absolutes- 100% assurance of being saved, etc), and also lack of the mystical in mainstream/Calvinist/agnostic America. It's a combined reaction against those two.

The reaction might be natural, but could be sign of illness.

Pagan holiday like jumping over fires that still happens in Russia. At least we don't dress up as monsters around Christmas and Easter like some European countries. (eg. French Christmas where demon whupped little kids unfortunate enough to have violent, antagonistic parents instead of Santa bringing presents, or Austria where they have a holiday where big bullies dress up as monsters, even today, and whoop young people.) Much much worse sign of illness IMO.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #512 on: July 25, 2010, 08:33:41 PM »

Halloween!

Be pro-active!

Reclaim the night!

Icons and candles on your porch!    If you have the opportunity and a front porch, set up some icons.  Have candles burning.  Christmas lights twinkling if you like.   Invite the little Halloween boys and girls to light a candle themselves.  Give them the sweets and also small paper icons.   The ones from Russia these days are very attractive to children.

Open your church!   For many years as a parish priest I opened the church on the night of Halloween after Vespers.  I lit every lamp and every candle and made it a magic place of God's presence.  I had every outside light burning to make it a welcoming place.    And people would come in.....  with their children dressed as ghosties and ghoulies.  Who knows what impact that special night and a visit to a beautiful and mysterious Christian church will have in the years to come.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #513 on: July 25, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »

Halloween!

Be pro-active!

Reclaim the night!

Icons and candles on your porch!    If you have the opportunity and a front porch, set up some icons.  Have candles burning.  Christmas lights twinkling if you like.   Invite the little Halloween boys and girls to light a candle themselves.  Give them the sweets and also small paper icons.   The ones from Russia these days are very attractive to children.

Open your church!   For many years as a parish priest I opened the church on the night of Halloween after Vespers.  I lit every lamp and every candle and made it a magic place of God's presence.  I had every outside light burning to make it a welcoming place.    And people would come in.....  with their children dressed as ghosties and ghoulies.  Who knows what impact that special night and a visit to a beautiful and mysterious Christian church will have in the years to come.

AMEN!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #514 on: July 25, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »

Thank you Father Ambrose for that post!  Wonderful! 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #515 on: October 28, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #516 on: October 28, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »

About an hour ago, I emailed my priest (yes, he will see it) to ask if we should come in costume on Sunday  Cheesy. I suggested we could all come dressed as our patron saints.

(I don't usually pull his leg like that, so I'm a bit fearful he will spend an hour or two wondering if I'm serious!)

If Halloween is a fun time for kids, it can be quite harmless. Certainly in my neighbourhood, it's an occasion for parents and kids to be out together where they meet and make friends.

Like just about anything else, moderation is the key. It can easily get out of hand. Lots of things happen that the non-Orthodox (even non-Christians) don't approve of.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #517 on: October 28, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »

we hates you! Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #518 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:54 PM »

Yeah, I had a feeling that this thread would be coming back.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #519 on: November 02, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »

(I may have already posted, but I'd like to do so again).

Halloween, for me, was never a big deal.  I loathed buying costumes which I'd decide I hated half-way out of the store.  I got SO COLD trick-or-treating, but it was a bit fun. 

now, I just give the rugrats candy, and then say my prayers and go to bed.  I only do this because my mother celebrates it, and probably won't once I'm on my own.

religously, no, I don't think we should celebrate a pagan holiday that has NOTHING to do with Christianity, what-so-ever.

(well, perhapse if I do whar Fr. Ambrose suggests with the icons on the porch!)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:55:26 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #520 on: November 02, 2010, 02:18:22 PM »

My wife, now reposed loved Halloween. She dressed up like a witch and played spooky music out the window and decorated the outside of the house. Halloween makes me a little sad remembering all that.

Something strange happend this year. She used make a neclace for her costume out of chicken bones. She would collect a few and put them in the diswasher with the silverware to get them clean enough to wear.

I found a chicken bone Saturday in the silverware tray of the dishwasher. I asked the family if anyone put it there. They looked at me like I was crazy. No one had. I went ahead and washed it.

The funny thing is that I was to attend a funeral Sunday ( Halloween) for a friend's Dad who just passed. Same cemetery as where my wife is.  I dont go there often. I'm not one for visiting her grave.

Anyway. Just thought I'd share this for what it's worth.   

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #521 on: November 02, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »

This is what I did for Halloween this year:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30894.0.html

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #522 on: November 02, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »

My wife, now reposed loved Halloween. She dressed up like a witch and played spooky music out the window and decorated the outside of the house. Halloween makes me a little sad remembering all that.

Something strange happend this year. She used make a neclace for her costume out of chicken bones. She would collect a few and put them in the diswasher with the silverware to get them clean enough to wear.

I found a chicken bone Saturday in the silverware tray of the dishwasher. I asked the family if anyone put it there. They looked at me like I was crazy. No one had. I went ahead and washed it.

The funny thing is that I was to attend a funeral Sunday ( Halloween) for a friend's Dad who just passed. Same cemetery as where my wife is.  I dont go there often. I'm not one for visiting her grave.

memory eternal!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #523 on: November 02, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »

memory eternal!

Amen. Memory Eternal!

A very interesting story. You should call up George Noory or Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM and share this story!

Selam

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #524 on: November 02, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »

memory eternal!

Amen. Memory Eternal!

A very interesting story. You should call up George Noory or Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM and share this story!

Selam
ah, yes! just stay away from those Sylvia Brown types....shell probably say that your wife is moving things around your home to get some gruesome message to you!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #525 on: November 02, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »

memory eternal!

Amen. Memory Eternal!

Selam
ah, yes! just stay away from those Sylvia Brown types....shell probably say that your wife is moving things around your home to get some gruesome message to you!

Exactly. Call up Coast to Coast, share this remarkable story, but make sure to end it with Orthodox Truth! Wink

Selam

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #526 on: November 02, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »

Yeah, I had a feeling that this thread would be coming back.

It's my gift to the community that keeps on giving.  Ha ha!  Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #527 on: November 05, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »

Here is a pretty balanced and factual take on the holiday(s) of this time. http://ecumenicalbuddhism.blogspot.com/2010/11/all-saints-day-all-souls-day-lemuria.html

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #528 on: October 01, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »

It's about that time of year again...

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #529 on: October 26, 2011, 09:14:39 PM »

I signed up to volunteer at the Zoo for their Halloween party (kids trick or treat outside the animal exhibits) before I found out that Orthodoxy generally frowns on Halloween. Should I cancel?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #530 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:47 PM »

One of the litmus tests I gave my priest was asking him whether or not he let his children trick-or-treat when they were young.

He answered rightly.  Wink

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #531 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »

I have never celebrated Halloween.  I went to a Halloween party once when I was 23 or so, but I didn't dress up.  I'm kind of indifferent to the holiday.  I prefer to celebrate All Saints Day the next day.  We have a large Hispanic population where I live, so there are a lot of celebrations for the dead on that day or the weekend preceding the actual holiday which are fun and generally respectful. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #532 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »

One of the litmus tests I gave my priest was asking him whether or not he let his children trick-or-treat when they were young.

He answered rightly.  Wink

My priest disagrees with me on this one, but he is still amazing in that he loves me.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #533 on: October 26, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »

I signed up to volunteer at the Zoo for their Halloween party (kids trick or treat outside the animal exhibits) before I found out that Orthodoxy generally frowns on Halloween. Should I cancel?

Roll Eyes There is Jack Chick brouhaha surrounding this event every year, even though the holiday has Christian connections. Nevermind, what some people within Orthodoxy frown upon. What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:17:45 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #534 on: October 26, 2011, 10:32:45 PM »

This is what I did for Halloween this year:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30894.0.html

Selam

Stand guard vigilantly for toilet paper being thrown amongst the branches of your trees.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #535 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »

Roll Eyes There is Jack Chick brouhaha surrounding this event every year, even though the holiday has Christian connections. Nevermind, what some people within Orthodoxy frown upon. What do you think?

Why would I disregard what my future coreligionists think?

I'll tell you what I think. I think that the consensus amongst the Orthodox (besides the people who make fun of 'hyperdox' and 'LARPers' on this forum) that I've seen is that Halloween is not something that an Orthodox Christian should participate in. I'm trying to see if economy could be applied in my case since I obliged myself to be involved before I knew that I shouldn't be.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:37:16 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #536 on: October 26, 2011, 10:37:37 PM »

I have never celebrated Halloween.  I went to a Halloween party once when I was 23 or so, but I didn't dress up.  I'm kind of indifferent to the holiday.  I prefer to celebrate All Saints Day the next day.  We have a large Hispanic population where I live, so there are a lot of celebrations for the dead on that day or the weekend preceding the actual holiday which are fun and generally respectful. 

Sorta embarrassing to see adults dressing up for Halloween. Halloween is hitting Europe hard. Just the sexy adult variety. Nothing for the kids.

But I can bob for apples like no one else.

I was drugged to a Halloween party / concert once. You had to dress up to get in. But they didn't seem to really care.

Ended up meeting a long term GF there. All because of bobbing for apples.

Boy do I wish I had stayed home, like I usually do.

But it would be cool to have the parish open as Father suggested above. I would definitely hang.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #537 on: October 26, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »

I prefer to celebrate All Saints Day the next day.  We have a large Hispanic population where I live, so there are a lot of celebrations for the dead on that day or the weekend preceding the actual holiday which are fun and generally respectful. 
We do the same thing!

I don't quite know when I have kids. I went trick-or-treating myself as a child, and didn't ascribe anything religious to it. I just wanted candy. For right now, I'm thinking about drawing the line at holding any parties for the kids at the house or such, but if they are having a party at school, they can dress up. I love dressing up and I know how exciting it was to wear a costume during classes all day.

Ahh, such a hard line to draw. I don't feel militant enough about Halloween, I guess. I'm ambivalent. But I am not a big fan of the day either.

I want to ask my priest now, just to see what he thinks. I have a sneaking suspicion that his kids went out trick-or-treating, but that's just a guess.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »

Sorta embarrassing to see adults dressing up for Halloween.

Sorta (very) embarrassing to see adults bobbing for apples. ;-)

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »

Why would I disregard what my future coreligionists think?

I'll tell you what I think. I think that the consensus amongst the Orthodox (besides the people who make fun of 'hyperdox' and 'LARPers' on this forum) that I've seen is that Halloween is not something that an Orthodox Christian should participate in. I'm trying to see if economy could be applied in my case since I obliged myself to be involved before I knew that I shouldn't be.

At least knowing is half the battle.

I bet nearly every kid at my parish will somehow be involved in Halloween to one degree or another.

Yeah. OC.net is where you are going to find the "typical" Orthodox.

Tags: Halloween 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: