OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:08:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?
Yes - 77 (41%)
No - 78 (41.5%)
Maybe - 13 (6.9%)
Unsure - 13 (6.9%)
Other (Explain) - 7 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 188

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?  (Read 95179 times) Average Rating: 0
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2007, 12:15:44 PM »

every Christian outside the visible boundaries of the Eastern Orthodox Church is only a Christian by the grace given to the Eastern Orthodox Church.

I'm not sure that is quite how we would explain it.  Met. St. Philaret of NY (ROCOR) explained it well (although now I can't find the quote).  He said something to the effect that according to the strictest interpretation, all those who are heretics are not Christian.  However, he noted too that not everyone is a heretic per se.  Those that openly and vehemently and intentionally attack the Church cannot be called Christian, however, those who are just born into a non-Orthodox faith and are just following their religious leaders (Catholicism, Protestantism, etc) are not necessarily so much heretics and thus can be called Christians.  Smiley 

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2007, 12:32:33 PM »

Aint this thread supposed to be about Spooks and sweets and whether we should suffer suckers who solicit our sweet stuffs on Samhain sourly?

I can understand the diversion from our prostestant friend, but still.  Lets get back to candy and costumes, m' cay?  Smiley

What I cant stand about the holday is the egging and toilet papering of trees and houses.  It never fails!  I bought a tarp this year to make sure that the damage won't be that bad.  It's not a very christian thought , I know, but it makes me want to become a paintball sniper for one night!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2007, 12:40:48 PM »

Agree that this is getting off track and if we're to go further a new thread is warranted but if not then might I please say that I've heard Pope Shenouda says Protestants aren't Christians and Roman Catholics aren't in The Church although HH greatly desires Orthodox unity. Thank you.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2007, 12:57:32 PM »

I understand. This thread is supposed to be about halloween. That's what I originally wrote about and it ended up turning into a different topic. Btw, I'm not Protestant.

A probable result of the merging of two closely related threads.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2007, 01:30:35 PM »

Thread temporarily locked whilst moderator re-splits the thread (if hosting allows him).

Will re-open shortly

Αριστοκλής

New Topic (supposed to be) Orthodoxy and 'Non-Denominationalism':
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12988.msg178006/topicseen.html#msg178006

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 01:45:04 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »

Αριστοκλής , thank you Smiley however the new thread title has lots of "\\\\" for me. Is this an error?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2007, 02:22:37 PM »

Αριστοκλής , thank you Smiley however the new thread title has lots of "\\\\" for me. Is this an error?

Yes, it was. How? I don't know...maybe the devil made me do it!  Shocked

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »

Deacon Nikolai, how did you do that please?

Thank you and pray for me please.

(-: .noʎ ɹoɟ ʇı ʇɹǝʌuoɔ 11ıʍ ʇı puɐ 62242=pı_ʞuı1¿ɯɟɔ.ʞuı1_pǝɹoq/ɯoɔ.pǝɹoq-ɯɐ-ı.ʍʍʍ//:dʇʇɥ ʇɐ ǝʇıs qǝʍ ɐ oʇ buıob ʎq uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇıɹʍ puɐ "ʇɐǝɥɔ" uɐɔ ǝuo 'sɹǝʇʇǝ1 ǝsoɥʇ ɹoɟ sǝpoɔ 8-ɟʇn ǝɥʇ ʍouʞ ʇou op noʎ ɟı 'snɯʎpıp

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2007, 10:21:34 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

¡dɯıd sı sıɥʇ

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »

¡sbuıɥʇ uo ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ǝuo sǝʌıb ʎ1uıɐʇɹǝɔ sıɥʇ
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 10:31:33 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »

¿dn ʍou uʍop sı ɹo uʍop ʍou dn sı os

'ʇoɯɥǝ ɯǝu ıuıɹı +

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2007, 10:34:47 PM »

sʇɹnɥ pɐǝɥ ʎɯ

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2007, 10:59:16 PM »

Hey, the Cubs still have four games in which to win their three to put your D-Backs to rest and move on.
OK, I concede.  UNCLE!  You win. Sad
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2007, 11:09:40 PM »

OK, I concede.  UNCLE!  You win. Sad

We're next.  Sad

At least you guys are expected to lose!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 11:10:15 PM by lubeltri » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2007, 11:16:12 PM »

We're next.  Sad

At least you guys are expected to lose!
Hey, at least you don't have to deal with those infernal bugs in Yankee Stadium.  Or do you?

"What do they live on when they can't get hobbit (or Yankee)?"
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2007, 11:28:21 PM »

Hey, at least you don't have to deal with those infernal bugs in Yankee Stadium.  Or do you?

"What do they live on when they can't get hobbit (or Yankee)?"

Sigh . . . I will know that God is no longer a Yankee fan if that plague follows the team plane to New York.

I think we've still got a chance. If the offense breaks out against Cleveland's second tier, we may yet return to Lake Erie (may it freeze over!) for Game Five. That's if A-rod and company don't roll over first.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2007, 11:56:50 PM »

I don't observe christmas anymore nor easter. That is one of the reasons why I went through the process of writing what I wrote.

Are you a Jehovah's witness?

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2007, 12:13:39 AM »

Are you a Jehovah's witness?

With such statements against JW teaching as in the following:
Therefore, if someone that is a Mormon or JW is saved, then they are saved through and through even though many Mormon and JW teachings are messed up.
I doubt it.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2007, 12:40:21 AM »

Now the big question, Colorado or Philadelphia ?  Who are the Dbacks supposed to beat next? 
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2007, 01:25:37 AM »

Now the big question, Colorado or Philadelphia ?  Who are the Dbacks supposed to beat next? 
Colorado (def. Philly 2-1 to sweep the Phillies)
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2007, 07:12:12 AM »

(: ɹǝpun uʍop ɯoɹɟ ǝ1doǝd sn ɹoɟ 1ɐɯɹou sʞoo1 ʇı ʍou .ɥɔnɯ ʎɹǝʌ noʎ ʞuɐɥʇ

Orthodox Bagpiper, if you follow the links through to this person's blog there is a reference to the Feast of Tabernacles so it is likely that this lady is somehow linked to Armstron's movement or one of its offshoots. This may simply occur indirectly through contact with somebody who has been in contact with such teachings or it could be direct also.

If not, then this lady is simply zealously following the Holy Bible in a method as taught by many Protestant school and following those teachings through to their logical conclusions. The only other option would be if this lady is of those called Jews by birth. Nobody else (at least none I know of) keep the Feast of Tabernacles and refer to it in the way this lady does.

JWs on the other hand are supposed to celebrate nothing (except what they call "The Lord's evening meal").

Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2007, 02:50:06 PM »

When adults dress up for Halloween...it's a little weird. But when 5 year old kids do it, I'm positive they're not honoring some pagan god.

I loved my trick-or-treating days, and so long as one doesn't do anything to hurt others, I see nothing wrong with it.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2007, 03:14:55 PM »

Anchovies on pizza?  BAH! Angry  You haven't had pizza unless you've eaten one with smoked oysters on it. Cool

How exactly does one smoke this bile filter of the seas?  Just sitting here picturing someone smoking an oyster is laughable. Grin

As a descendent of practicing witches, and not the tree huggin kind, I don't bother with the ween. One of my earliest memories is of my grandmas laughing at 'christians' for celebrating such a 'holy' day to them. It has no true redeeming value. A little bit of fun aside for the littles is irrelevant, there are many things i can do with my children on that night-and without honoring a Jack Chick pamphlet either.  Since my fil works for Nestle, I don't skimp on the sugary no no's either.  It's just a pointless day when you break it down to its purpose. Like is there a genuine need for those specific activities?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 03:42:38 PM by calligraphqueen » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2007, 05:53:11 PM »

How exactly does one smoke this bile filter of the seas?  Just sitting here picturing someone smoking an oyster is laughable. Grin

Well, on this I actually agree with you, in part. It is absurd to smoke an Oyster. The Oyster is amongst most succulent and divine of foods, it is to be taken straight from the ocean, removed from its shell, and eaten raw and alive where you stand, marinated only in its own brine. It is a food that, for all our advances in the culinary arts, is impossible to improve upon. Its consumption in its natural state is a personal, emotional, sexual, spiritual, and culinary experience unlike any other. Sure, there maybe individual acts and foods that better excel at one of these characteristics, but none that combines them more fully. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »

sexual

ummm... I don't think we eat food in the same manner. 
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2007, 08:07:06 PM »

"The Oyster is amongst most succulent and divine of foods, it is to be taken straight from the ocean, removed from its shell, and eaten raw and alive where you stand, marinated only in its own brine. It is a food that, for all our advances in the culinary arts, is impossible to improve upon. Its consumption in its natural state is a personal, emotional, sexual, spiritual, and culinary experience unlike any other. "

And they make great tennis balls.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2007, 09:43:17 PM »

Perhaps GiC has been watching too much Como Agua Para ChocolateWink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2007, 12:41:55 AM »

Apparently not, sounds like you need to learn to better enjoy your food...eating is one of the truly great pleasures in life, one of the few things that make life worth living. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2007, 01:59:56 AM »

Apparently not, sounds like you need to learn to better enjoy your food...eating is one of the truly great pleasures in life, one of the few things that make life worth living. Wink

To me, it's not just about taste, but also about volume.  So if you're overweight, eating is definitely a burden  Tongue

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2007, 02:30:42 AM »

To me, it's not just about taste, but also about volume.  So if you're overweight, eating is definitely a burden  Tongue

Sounds like you're not eating the right foods...a couple ounces of foie is just as satisfying as a 20 oz. steak (though just about as fattening, unfortunately). Wink

calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2007, 08:38:37 AM »

since my endo system has been offline for so many years, and I can't burn a calorie to save my life anymore-I would have to vote for the steak over the foie.  Some things in life must be savored when all else is going to 'that place'
A steak done truly correct is a work of art, and is quite sensual when paired with certain other items...
haven't had breakfast yet so this morning will surely come up short now!
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2007, 09:01:37 AM »

Has this topic gone off topic? Are we now discussing  baseball and food?

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »

Boredom...

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2007, 02:48:08 PM »

And apparantly hunger.  I could use a Deep Dish Pizza. Smiley

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2007, 03:12:37 PM »

And apparantly hunger.  I could use a Deep Dish Pizza. Smiley

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... Pizza.

But seriously, folks.  Are we done here?  If so, let's not lengthen the thread with nonsense - go to the Random Postings thread for that.  Leave this to real discussion of Halloween.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2007, 03:15:34 PM »

I agree...we're just 'talking among ourselves' (who else?) awaiting the debate to continue.

Unless we're done here...

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »

Okay.  So does having a pizza delivered on Haloween constitute a trick or a treat?

No, seriously!  I once read an article of a pizzeria that coveed it's pies in candy corn and had them distributed in fron to the car with the actual orders.  So they would pay for the pizza and get p.o.'d  seconds befroe the actual order arrived! Cheesy

minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2007, 04:23:07 PM »

Okay.  So does having a pizza delivered on Haloween constitute a trick or a treat?

No, seriously!  I once read an article of a pizzeria that coveed it's pies in candy corn and had them distributed in fron to the car with the actual orders.  So they would pay for the pizza and get p.o.'d  seconds befroe the actual order arrived! Cheesy

Nasty...candy corn and pizza don't go together

On the debate, I think we are done.  I mentioned that Halloween is no different essentially than going to the beach or acting or having quality time like video games or playing cards (or eating oysters... Huh, except the sexual part).  That goes for Halloween or anything else.  Modesty is key.  All the mischief that goes on is obviously not condoned, and no one here partakes of some sort of pagan ritual either.

God bless.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2007, 04:33:49 PM »

Nasty...candy corn and pizza don't go together 

Candy Corn is disgusting.  I defer to Lewis Black's rant about it.

Quote from: Lewis Black
The worst thing about Halloween is, of course, candy corn. It's unbelievable to me. Candy corn is the only candy in the history of America that's never been advertised. And there's a reason. All of the candy corn that was ever made was made in 1911. And so, since nobody eats that stuff, every year there's a ton of it left over. And the candy corn company sends the guys to the villages and they collect out of the dumpsters all the candy corn we've thrown away. (pause, while audience is grossed out)They wash it!! They wash it!

I'll never forget the first time my mother gave me candy corn. She said, "Here - Lewis, this is candy corn. It's corn that tastes like candy". (high pitched sound) This tastes like doo-doo! And every year since then, Halloween has returned and I, like an Alzhiemer's patient, find myself in the room, and the room has a big table in it, and on the table is a bowl of candy corn. And I look at it as if I've never seen it before. "Candy corn", I think. "Corn that tastes like candy. I can't wait". (makes eating motion) Expletive!!

Maybe this is why we shouldn't celebrate Halloween - the Orthodox come from cultures with such rich culinary heritage, why celebrate a day with this disgusting candy?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2007, 08:35:36 PM »

I mentioned that Halloween is no different essentially than going to the beach or acting or having quality time like video games or playing cards (or eating oysters... Huh, except the sexual part).  That goes for Halloween or anything else.  Modesty is key. 

Just remember brother, not everyone will agree with this viewpoint (of which there are many). The above quote has an air of authority, which I'm sure you didn't mean to present.

In Christ

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2007, 10:46:59 PM »

Just remember brother, not everyone will agree with this viewpoint (of which there are many). The above quote has an air of authority, which I'm sure you didn't mean to present.

In Christ

Gabriel

I don't agree, especially with that whole moderation thing (anything worth doing is worth doing to excess Wink)...but you don't see me getting all uptight about it. Grin

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »

I don't agree, especially with that whole moderation thing
surprise, surprise  Roll Eyes

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2007, 10:13:38 PM »

I wanted to wish you all a Happy Halloween!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2007, 10:56:35 AM »

Princesses, winged fairies, pirates and super heros were popular this year. Also there were some nice animal costumes including a nifty sea-creature.  There were also some sports uniforms and an ice cream cone among the children at the elementary school Halloween parade.  Yes, some of the older (5th grade) boys went for spooky, but not lots of them. 

Our oldest (14) decided to go different with his pumpkin and put an "Eye of Sauron" on it.  Cheesy  But he didn't trick or treat himself.  Instead he took his little brother, who was a dinosaur, around to a few houses (his first time).  The neighbors thought it was very nice of him to do that and gave him some candy too.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2007, 12:16:28 PM »

I actually encourage my sister to go out for Halloween. Whats the big deal?? The way I think about it, Halloween is a beautiful Christian feast (the Western Christian All Saints Day). My lil sister is not allowed to dress up as a goblin or anything ridiculous like a demon but its just a fun time for kids to have candy...theres not satanic element to it at all. Maybe we should stop celebrating Christmas as well...does anyone recall What Decemeber 25th or January 7th were before they became Christmas?? The winter solstice which was a huge pagan feast. If we can take something pagan and sanctify it then thats great!
Tags: Halloween 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: