Poll

Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?

Yes
81 (37.9%)
No
88 (41.1%)
Maybe
17 (7.9%)
Unsure
19 (8.9%)
Other (Explain)
9 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 214

Author Topic: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?  (Read 208613 times)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Is it OK for an Orthodox Christian to celebrate Halloween?
« Reply #900 on: October 29, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »
Another perspective, shared by a friend on FB:
-------------------------------------------------
Dear ones in Christ: Christ is in our midst!
Every year at Halloween, I have a bit of an internal crisis as pastor. What should I say about Halloween when parishioners ask? There is nothing wrong at the heart of our tradition of cute costumes and kids asking for candy. There is much here that is worthy of a blessing! Indeed the roots of "All Hallow's Eve", or "Hallow'e'en" are from Church tradition. In the West, it is the eve of All Saints' Day.
But sadly much that goes along with our Halloween tradition is far from Orthodox, far from Christian and far from being worthy of a blessing. Just look at the selection of movies in the theaters that are offered each Halloween, for example.
I beg you to avoid the temptation to, in any way, compromise your faith as a Christian during this mercifully brief season of ghosts, ghouls, and sugar overdoses. Our culture suggests that it is "all in good fun", but we ought to reconsider this suggestion for the potential dangers within. Perhaps I seem to be taking this a bit far, but my concern grows each year as I observe the increasingly bad behavior of Christians during this season.
Here are my suggestions (not rules!), and these follow closely to an excellent and encouraging article on the subject by Mr John Sanidopoulos:
1). DO leave your light on and offer treats to those who come to your door. Be hospitable and be a Christian! (I'm particularly fond of Milk Duds and Tootsie Rolls, by the way).
2). DO consider your costume and your children' costumes. There is no rule that says that, in order to enjoy Halloween, you need to dress in a sexually-provocative costume (especially our teenagers, but also our adults) or to appear in a costume that glorifies evil things or overtly macabre themes. Nor do you need to dress up as a Bible character, for that matter. Dress in a way that is worthy of a blessing (a good rule in general). Glorify God with your appearance. For what it's worth, my favorite costume as a child was dressing up as Luke Skywalker. Kind of boring by today's standards, I guess.
3). DO show restraint at parties. This applies to Halloween particularly, but is always a good rule to live by. Know when to say "when". Guard your lips and keep your bodies pure and free of sin.
4). DO avoid, as much as possible, participation in those things that glorify evil, the dark elements of life, pagan or occult themes, and so on. We really have nothing to fear from these things: Christ is risen! But "what fellowship does light have with darkness?," the scriptures ask us. Light illumines the darkness and dispels it. If we desire to be like Christ, then we ought not —even for one night— immerse ourselves in darkness in any way.
I write these things as a concerned pastor who sees much. Our faith and love for Christ ought to inform all aspects of our lives, even (and especially) Halloween. My prayer is that we will make every effort to take captive every thought and action in our lives. That we won't downplay some things for the sake of evil passions. That we will desire less and less the debilitating "candy" of this world and the desire more and more the nourishing wine and bread of the Kingdom of God.
May God bless us this Fall season, as we move toward the Nativity Fast and a deeper contemplation of the gift of the Christ Child. Enjoy Halloween in a holy way!
In Christ,
Fr James

Fr. James Bozeman is the parish priest at St. James Orthodox Church, a mission parish in Beaufort, SC
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?
« Reply #901 on: October 29, 2016, 12:13:02 PM »
Although I don't see much of a problem in wearing costumes and stuff, I fear the normalisation of the occult among youth. Even if only a small minority of people who get into these aesthetics will end up in actual witchcraft, I still feel the dark aspects of Halloween are an unnecessary thing to perpetuate.

Not a part of Hallowe'en in this country that I'm aware of. The dangers to young people are the usual with American "partying" -- substance abuse, date rape, joy in the appearance of debauchery, and cynical degrading humor and small talk that often comes close to blasphemy and always ensures an atmosphere of mutual sin.
I went to a Halloween party with my daughters. They painted plastic pumpkins and glued googly eyes on them. Then they got some candy corn. I count myself lucky that we were able to escape before the substance abuse and date rapes took place.

I bet the LSD-fueled trip afterwards from the candy corn was amazing.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #902 on: October 29, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »
Although I don't see much of a problem in wearing costumes and stuff, I fear the normalisation of the occult among youth. Even if only a small minority of people who get into these aesthetics will end up in actual witchcraft, I still feel the dark aspects of Halloween are an unnecessary thing to perpetuate.

Not a part of Hallowe'en in this country that I'm aware of. The dangers to young people are the usual with American "partying" -- substance abuse, date rape, joy in the appearance of debauchery, and cynical degrading humor and small talk that often comes close to blasphemy and always ensures an atmosphere of mutual sin.
I went to a Halloween party with my daughters. They painted plastic pumpkins and glued googly eyes on them. Then they got some candy corn. I count myself lucky that we were able to escape before the substance abuse and date rapes took place.
You haven't escaped it. Merely postponed it. Wait until your daughters are ten years older and going without you.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #903 on: October 29, 2016, 08:34:36 PM »
Dear ones in Christ: Christ is in our midst!
Every year at Halloween, I have a bit of an internal crisis as pastor. What should I say about Halloween when parishioners ask? There is nothing wrong at the heart of our tradition of cute costumes and kids asking for candy. There is much here that is worthy of a blessing! Indeed the roots of "All Hallow's Eve", or "Hallow'e'en" are from Church tradition. In the West, it is the eve of All Saints' Day.
But sadly much that goes along with our Halloween tradition is far from Orthodox, far from Christian and far from being worthy of a blessing. Just look at the selection of movies in the theaters that are offered each Halloween, for example.
I beg you to avoid the temptation to, in any way, compromise your faith as a Christian during this mercifully brief season of ghosts, ghouls, and sugar overdoses. Our culture suggests that it is "all in good fun", but we ought to reconsider this suggestion for the potential dangers within. Perhaps I seem to be taking this a bit far, but my concern grows each year as I observe the increasingly bad behavior of Christians during this season.
Here are my suggestions (not rules!), and these follow closely to an excellent and encouraging article on the subject by Mr John Sanidopoulos:
1). DO leave your light on and offer treats to those who come to your door. Be hospitable and be a Christian! (I'm particularly fond of Milk Duds and Tootsie Rolls, by the way).
2). DO consider your costume and your children' costumes. There is no rule that says that, in order to enjoy Halloween, you need to dress in a sexually-provocative costume (especially our teenagers, but also our adults) or to appear in a costume that glorifies evil things or overtly macabre themes. Nor do you need to dress up as a Bible character, for that matter. Dress in a way that is worthy of a blessing (a good rule in general). Glorify God with your appearance. For what it's worth, my favorite costume as a child was dressing up as Luke Skywalker. Kind of boring by today's standards, I guess.
3). DO show restraint at parties. This applies to Halloween particularly, but is always a good rule to live by. Know when to say "when". Guard your lips and keep your bodies pure and free of sin.
4). DO avoid, as much as possible, participation in those things that glorify evil, the dark elements of life, pagan or occult themes, and so on. We really have nothing to fear from these things: Christ is risen! But "what fellowship does light have with darkness?," the scriptures ask us. Light illumines the darkness and dispels it. If we desire to be like Christ, then we ought not —even for one night— immerse ourselves in darkness in any way.
I write these things as a concerned pastor who sees much. Our faith and love for Christ ought to inform all aspects of our lives, even (and especially) Halloween. My prayer is that we will make every effort to take captive every thought and action in our lives. That we won't downplay some things for the sake of evil passions. That we will desire less and less the debilitating "candy" of this world and the desire more and more the nourishing wine and bread of the Kingdom of God.
May God bless us this Fall season, as we move toward the Nativity Fast and a deeper contemplation of the gift of the Christ Child. Enjoy Halloween in a holy way!
In Christ,
Fr James

Fr. James Bozeman is the parish priest at St. James Orthodox Church, a mission parish in Beaufort, SC

Seems consistent with John Sanidopolous' "10 commandments of Halloween"
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #904 on: October 29, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
For what it's worth, my favorite costume as a child was dressing up as Luke Skywalker. Kind of boring by today's standards, I guess.

For every Harley Quinn out there this year there will be at least one Rey. Or probably more, because there will be plenty of adult Reys but not so plenty kiddie Harleys. ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #905 on: October 30, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #906 on: October 30, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline TaiKamiya720

• Favorite link: Relevant Magazine
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian(Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD/EP of Constantinople
« Reply #907 on: October 31, 2016, 04:56:45 PM »
Today, I dress in a morally neutral costume. This Halloween, I dress up as Ash Ketchum from Pokemon.
Dressing up in costumes came from the Celtic pagan belief that on Samhain night, ghosts would roam around the living world. So people would dress up as ghosts to disguise themselves as ghosts. Samhain is not a God and he is not worshipped on Halloween, as Jack Chick, other Fundamentalist Protestants, and unfortunately, some well meaning but misinformed Orthodox Christian priests would have you believe. Samhain is actually the name of the festival. Samhain means the "end of summer" in Celtic. Another component of where dressing up came from are the souling, reminder of death, and guising, which all came from the Catholic Church. Dressing up also came from an early Catholic custom of dressing up as demons to poke at and mock death. The roots of modern trick or treating come from city councils in the 1930s in the US as an activity to keep kids out of trouble on Halloween night. Then in the 1950s, is when the term of "trick or treat" became well known because of a Disney Donald Duck cartoon, "Trick-or-treat", you can see that whole cartoon here:https://youtu.be/skdVouumMk4
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:10:27 PM by TaiKamiya720 »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #908 on: October 31, 2016, 06:41:33 PM »
The young one didn't bother with a costume, just a pumpkin mask and a glowstick whip. 8) I asked him if he'd go after Crane now that he'd found his head again, and he looked at me with a disgusted expression that reassured me he remembers the legend quite well. ;D

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #909 on: October 31, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »
But "what fellowship does light have with darkness?," the scriptures ask us. Light illumines the darkness and dispels it. If we desire to be like Christ, then we ought not —even for one night— immerse ourselves in darkness in any way.

"Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee." - Psalter

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #910 on: October 31, 2016, 11:34:05 PM »
For what it's worth, my favorite costume as a child was dressing up as Luke Skywalker. Kind of boring by today's standards, I guess.

For every Harley Quinn out there this year there will be at least one Rey. Or probably more, because there will be plenty of adult Reys but not so plenty kiddie Harleys. ;)

Every Harley Quinn I saw tonight fell into the 10-and-under set.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #911 on: November 01, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »

Every Harley Quinn I saw tonight fell into the 10-and-under set.

Lord, have mercy. Blessed Mother, intervene.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #912 on: November 01, 2016, 12:42:59 AM »
Of all the things in this world for me to be offended by, Halloween just isn’t one of them. When eager, excited children knock on our door in anticipation of kind neighbors giving them candy, I just can’t see the sin in that. I thank God that those children are alive to experience such happiness, for many children never see the light of birth. Parents taking their children trick-or-treating is not evil; parents murdering their children before they are born is. Satan isn’t lurking in the hearts of innocent children wearing costumes and masks; he is lurking in the murderous hearts of abortionists who slaughter children in their mothers’ wombs.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #913 on: November 01, 2016, 01:13:31 AM »
Happy Halloween!
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #914 on: November 01, 2016, 03:37:06 AM »
Of all the things in this world for me to be offended by, Halloween just isn’t one of them. When eager, excited children knock on our door in anticipation of kind neighbors giving them candy, I just can’t see the sin in that. I thank God that those children are alive to experience such happiness, for many children never see the light of birth. Parents taking their children trick-or-treating is not evil; parents murdering their children before they are born is. Satan isn’t lurking in the hearts of innocent children wearing costumes and masks; he is lurking in the murderous hearts of abortionists who slaughter children in their mothers’ wombs.

Selam

Positive belief change.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #915 on: November 01, 2016, 05:59:53 AM »
And we're still here. Yay!
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #916 on: November 01, 2016, 06:03:02 AM »
So we are. Happy half-price candy day! ;D

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #917 on: November 01, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »
"Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch accuses devil of Halloween"

Any Arabic speakers out there willing to help us understand what's going on here? 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #918 on: November 01, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »

Man, I went to the wrong houses.  I could use some Twix!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #919 on: November 01, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
"Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch accuses devil of Halloween"

Any Arabic speakers out there willing to help us understand what's going on here?

In my very deficient Arabic, it seems to answer the question, "Is there a devil?" I heard nothing about Halloween.  He answered by alluding to the Lord's Prayer: deliver us from the evil one. Christ was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, died and rose to destroy the power of the evil one. 
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #920 on: November 01, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »

This was our pumpkin this year :) Wasn't too difficult to carve.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:51:49 PM by Alxandra »
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #921 on: November 01, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »

Selam

One of your most eloquent posts!  May I quote it?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #922 on: November 01, 2016, 11:13:55 PM »

Nicely done.

Oh and welcome back!
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Merarches
« Reply #923 on: November 03, 2016, 05:32:16 AM »

Selam

One of your most eloquent posts!  May I quote it?

Thank you brother. Yes, feel free to share.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #924 on: November 03, 2016, 05:33:14 AM »

Nicely done.

+ 1

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #925 on: November 03, 2016, 01:32:14 PM »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #926 on: November 03, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #927 on: November 03, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »