OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:41:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?
Yes - 77 (40.7%)
No - 78 (41.3%)
Maybe - 14 (7.4%)
Unsure - 13 (6.9%)
Other (Explain) - 7 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 189

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?  (Read 98878 times) Average Rating: 0
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #540 on: October 26, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »

After hitting submit, I JUST got an e-mail from my priest. There will be festivities at the church for the kiddies. That's pretty neat. Like they need an excuse to get more sugar. Wink

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #541 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »

I have never celebrated Halloween.  I went to a Halloween party once when I was 23 or so, but I didn't dress up.  I'm kind of indifferent to the holiday.  I prefer to celebrate All Saints Day the next day.  We have a large Hispanic population where I live, so there are a lot of celebrations for the dead on that day or the weekend preceding the actual holiday which are fun and generally respectful. 

Sorta embarrassing to see adults dressing up for Halloween.

Sorta (very) embarrassing to see adults bobbing for apples. ;-)

Hey, it made sense under the circumstances. Actually under the circumstances pretty much anything made sense.

I can hold my breath for forever, being filled with hot air has its advantages, and I have some serious teeth with a slight over bite. How often do you get to flaunt that AWESOME combo?

And I got a girl! Of course that was the beginning of another disastrous few years of my life. But I got a girl!

If it were in a movie, it would have been totally quirky and romantic and ended happily ever after.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #542 on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:40 PM »

I prefer to celebrate All Saints Day the next day.  We have a large Hispanic population where I live, so there are a lot of celebrations for the dead on that day or the weekend preceding the actual holiday which are fun and generally respectful. 
We do the same thing!

I don't quite know when I have kids. I went trick-or-treating myself as a child, and didn't ascribe anything religious to it. I just wanted candy. For right now, I'm thinking about drawing the line at holding any parties for the kids at the house or such, but if they are having a party at school, they can dress up. I love dressing up and I know how exciting it was to wear a costume during classes all day.

Ahh, such a hard line to draw. I don't feel militant enough about Halloween, I guess. I'm ambivalent. But I am not a big fan of the day either.

I want to ask my priest now, just to see what he thinks. I have a sneaking suspicion that his kids went out trick-or-treating, but that's just a guess.

I probably need to read through this thread, but I don't understand why people are against it.  I'm not saying that they shouldn't be against it, I just know next to nothing about the holiday.  I don't like the whole fixation on witches and gore, but I don't know what is wrong with a little girl dressing up as Cinderella and going to get some candy.  My nephew is dressing up as a transformer this year. He is only two, but we cannot even call him by his name.  He only goes by "Robot".  How can you not love that?! Smiley  

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #543 on: October 26, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »

I have never celebrated Halloween.  I went to a Halloween party once when I was 23 or so, but I didn't dress up.  I'm kind of indifferent to the holiday.  I prefer to celebrate All Saints Day the next day.  We have a large Hispanic population where I live, so there are a lot of celebrations for the dead on that day or the weekend preceding the actual holiday which are fun and generally respectful. 

Sorta embarrassing to see adults dressing up for Halloween.

Sorta (very) embarrassing to see adults bobbing for apples. ;-)

Hey, it made sense under the circumstances. Actually under the circumstances pretty much anything made sense.

I can hold my breath for forever, being filled with hot air has its advantages, and I have some serious teeth with a slight over bite. How often do you get to flaunt that AWESOME combo?

And I got a girl! Of course that was the beginning of another disastrous few years of my life. But I got a girl!

If it were in a movie, it would have been totally quirky and romantic and ended happily ever after.

How dreamy. Tongue

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #544 on: October 26, 2011, 10:50:50 PM »

I signed up to volunteer at the Zoo for their Halloween party (kids trick or treat outside the animal exhibits) before I found out that Orthodoxy generally frowns on Halloween. Should I cancel?

Roll Eyes There is Jack Chick brouhaha surrounding this event every year, even though the holiday has Christian connections. Nevermind, what some people within Orthodoxy frown upon. What do you think?

Why would I disregard what my future coreligionists think?

Your sanity is at stake.

I'll tell you what I think. I think that the consensus amongst the Orthodox (besides the people who make fun of 'hyperdox' and 'LARPers' on this forum) that I've seen is that Halloween is not something that an Orthodox Christian should participate in. I'm trying to see if economy could be applied in my case since I obliged myself to be involved before I knew that I shouldn't be.

Do what you feel right in doing.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #545 on: October 26, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »

I prefer to celebrate All Saints Day the next day.  We have a large Hispanic population where I live, so there are a lot of celebrations for the dead on that day or the weekend preceding the actual holiday which are fun and generally respectful. 
We do the same thing!

I don't quite know when I have kids. I went trick-or-treating myself as a child, and didn't ascribe anything religious to it. I just wanted candy. For right now, I'm thinking about drawing the line at holding any parties for the kids at the house or such, but if they are having a party at school, they can dress up. I love dressing up and I know how exciting it was to wear a costume during classes all day.

Ahh, such a hard line to draw. I don't feel militant enough about Halloween, I guess. I'm ambivalent. But I am not a big fan of the day either.

I want to ask my priest now, just to see what he thinks. I have a sneaking suspicion that his kids went out trick-or-treating, but that's just a guess.

I probably need to read through this thread, but I don't understand why people are against it.  I'm not saying that they shouldn't be against it, I just know next to nothing about the holiday.  I don't like the whole fixation on witches and gore, but I don't know what is wrong with a little girl dressing up as Cinderella and going to get some candy.  My nephew is dressing up as a transformer this year. He is only two, but we cannot even call him by his name.  He only goes by "Robot".  How can you not love that?! Smiley  

That's awesome. And no Halloween would have robbed us of the iconic sequence in E.T.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #546 on: October 26, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »

We do the same thing!

Robot! That's SO cute! Smiley

I guess for myself I don't like the sort of darker tones of the holiday. Plus, it's not explicitly Christian and/or there is no real meaning celebrated now, except for "dress up and get candy." Or if it's high school and older, an excuse to dress like a sloot.

We would have high schoolers coming to our door with ratty pillowcases and regular clothes. I wanted to tell them to go home and get a costume on before I gave them any candy.

There's just no REASON.

But like I said, I totally get in the spirit of dressing up and I get why that is fun.

Ambivalence at its finest.

And sorry, I could NOT hand out tracts to the kids coming to the door. I'd rather get a hotel room in town or stay out of the house for a night. It is fully within someone's right to, but I could never do it.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #547 on: October 26, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »

I'd rather watch Christmas movies with hot cocoa on Halloween.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #548 on: October 27, 2011, 01:40:03 AM »

I'm going to dress as a nerd for Halloween. Of course, I dress as a nerd every day of the year, so why should Halloween be any different. Grin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #549 on: October 27, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »

I'm going to dress as a nerd for Halloween. Of course, I dress as a nerd every day of the year, so why should Halloween be any different. Grin

40 Year Old Virgin.

Sike. Wink

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #550 on: October 27, 2011, 07:45:52 AM »

When I was about 9 or so, I dressed up as a mobile phone. It wasn't a household thing where I lived at that time, only for businessmen or people in certain professions, and they were big, had antennas, and came with a shoulder bag.

I remember walking around my school at the Halloween parade and hearing the mothers say, "Oh, what a cute calculator!"

Roll Eyes

--
--
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #551 on: October 27, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »

We do the same thing!

Agreed, the stupid take young 'adult's take on it as an excuse for gory excess and partying is one thing, but for little kids, I agree, how can you not love that. If you profess to be Christian (I will go beyond just us Orthodox) and get 'into' the ghost, spirits and witches nonsense, you have a problem - fortunately, most are not of that mindset.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #552 on: October 27, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »

i'm not going to lie; i'm apathetic towards Halloween. I used to enjoy dressing up when I was younger, but I rarely got to go trick-or-treating as my mother forbade my siblings and me to do so - but we would go to church functions (most times called "harvest festivals"). Once church I attended when I lived in Florida had the youths dress up as a Bible character (sans Satan) and I dressed up as Samuel come back from the dead... I won a prize for best costume but made a lot of people mad.

Another time at another church I dressed up as a hobo. I put some of my military face paint on and made it look like i had not shaved in a while and was dirty, carried my harmonica, "will work 4 food" sign, and the change cup from my car for donations. That and a slight limp and I had church security coming up to me all night asking if I was for real or just dressed up for the night... I had attended that church for over a year and knew most of the people  Roll Eyes

Personally I see no harm in letting children dress up and go get candy as long as we as parents are careful to the exposure of the darker side of Halloween and stress the importance of not celebrating the night as some kind of dark religious thing. I like the idea of having the icons and the candles on the porch, and if I were home for Halloween this year I would do that if my apartment complex allows us to have lit flames outside...

Also, this: http://raphael.doxos.com/2011/10/all-saints-day-2/#hide
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:06:02 PM by dcommini » Logged

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #553 on: October 27, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »

The thing with Halloween is that it DOES celebrate evil, gore, witches, demons, etc.  Even if we dress as princesses we are still out there yelling "Trick or Treat"!  Yes, we may not ever "trick" anyone, but, we are threatening to do so.

...and yet, I can see the fun in it.  My mother was always worried about letting us "celebrate" the day.  She would only dress us as angels or princesses and we would then run around the neighborhood....however, it always bothered her that she may be allowing her kids to take part in a "pagan" ritual, etc.

As an adult, I now share her concerns. ...and yet, I remember the fun I had dressing up.

Halloween IS not a good thing to "celebrate"....I teach that to my students, however, in all my years I have yet been able to convince even from going out that night.

A few weeks ago, our bishop was visiting and we asked him this same question.  He said it was not a good idea.  Threatening to trick someone, to dress in evil costumes, to throw eggs at houses, set fires, etc...is never good.  ...and while not everyone does this, we do support the evenings festivities by going out, or handing out candy....we perpetuate the evil.

However, when the kids were whining and disappointed, he did say that if you were to dress in non-evil costumes and go out to do good to your neighbors that would be okay.

Thinking long and hard on this....I decided to have our youth group go out and collect cans/dry goods that evening.

I made a flyer and bought plastic bags.  Each child than circulated these to the houses they will hit on Halloween.  The resident is instructed to have a few cans handy to donate to the kids.  I have contacted "the Forgotten Harvest" and they will happily accept any food that is collected and donated to the needy in our area.

This way the kids get to dress up, go out with their friends, and do a good deed at the same time.  They have been forbidden from dressing as witches, ghosts, etc...and they are not to yell "Trick or Treat".  It is a win-win situation.

We'll see how many items they end up collecting.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #554 on: October 27, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »

But Harry Potter is OK? And so is Narnia and LotR?

Sheesh.

What is more awesomer than Halloween?

The English wiki is weak on the explain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

But I can say I was skeptical . . . from the drums to the bells in the distance descending upon the city or village to the actual "whipping" of young women with the "phallic" roots as punishment for not bringing forth a bountiful harvest.

Scary.

My GF, flew into a doorway. Big mistake. One of the guys simply stopping and rattling his bells looming over her drove her to tears. We were in the city that year and and I said it is pretty tame. The whipping is rather lame. But the masks and drums and bells . . .

It was pretty awesome. I was a bit freaked myself. And we all "knew" it was pretend.

In villages, it gets outsane.

Forget Oktoberfest, go a little more south and right before St. Nicholas' Day for some real Teutonic tradition.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #555 on: October 27, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »

The Celts celebrated Halloween, though not by that name, and they converted to Christianity. Really dangerous celebration by the sound of it.  Wink

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #556 on: October 27, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »

Sure it's ok!!!!!  My priest's wife even takes their children trick-or-treating.

There really aren't any pagan traditions that would be immoral for a Christian still practiced.

EDIT:  I'd like to add that, as said above (a few years ago) that it really is a cultural thing.  I've had so much fun putting up festive decorations, carving pumpkins, and taking my sister (or going myself a few years ago) trick-or-treating.  It's really just a fun holiday and an excuse for us to all have fun together at my home. Smiley

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:18:56 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #557 on: October 27, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »

Sure it's ok!!!!!  My priest's wife even takes their children trick-or-treating.

There really aren't any pagan traditions that would be immoral for a Christian still practiced.

Happy Halloween right back at you, Trevor!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #558 on: October 27, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »

Happy Halloween right back at you, Trevor!

Thank you!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #559 on: October 27, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »

Orthonorm, that is just plain disturbing.  I'd scream like a baby, cry, and run if something like that came at me, even if it was fake.  Ew. 

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #560 on: October 27, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »

Orthonorm, that is just plain disturbing.  I'd scream like a baby, cry, and run if something like that came at me, even if it was fake.  Ew. 

I am telling you, I thought it would be a buncha nonsense.

Something primordial going on there.

The Christened Kiddy version happens during the day with more stuffed animal versions who are there to "punish" any "bad" kids before they get something from St. Nicholas.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #561 on: October 27, 2011, 09:41:18 PM »

Can I go as Zombie Jesus?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #562 on: October 27, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »

Can I go as Zombie Jesus?

This is exactly where I draw the line with Halloween, though.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #563 on: October 27, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »

Speaking of drawing the line with Halloween, where do those of you who don't celebrate it draw the line with horror stuff? Would you watch a scary movie?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #564 on: October 27, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »

^ I draw the line at watching historical documentaries about human atrocities, rather than horror/gory movies that are exploitative about human violence (although I am fully aware of documentaries also being exploitative...but at least there is usually some sort of meaning behind it or a true story being told). Hostel, anyone?

I am inconsistent with a lot of things, but not with this. I don't watch horror movies. I watch the occasional zombie movie, but that's it. No Saw, nothing like that.

--
--
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #565 on: October 27, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »

I agree with Ismi, 100%.  I do not watch horror movies since age 14, because I just get too worked up.  There is enough violence in the world, I don't need to see it when I sit down to relax and watch a movie.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #566 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »

I dont like horror movies either, but its mainly just because Im a big ole wimp!

As far as halloween goes, I dont see anything wrong with kids putting on goofy costumes to go score a bunch of candy...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #567 on: October 27, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »

I've never been a horror fan but if I had to choose one it would be Carpenter's The Thing.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #568 on: October 27, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodixie/halloween_._._._again

This seems good for this thread.

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #569 on: October 27, 2011, 11:26:54 PM »

We don't do Halloween, more because of my wife than myself. I do back her up in this I'm just not as adamant about it as she is. I understand the nastiness of the Celtic orgins and the glorification of evil that has been promoted recently but, I also remember the more innocent fun I had as a kid. We won't give out candy that night, I wouldn't impose this view on anyone who disagreed though.

As to horror movies, don't do that, not at all, don't see anything good in them.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »

If dressing up has nothing to do with occult practices and pagan beliefs, what is the problem?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »

If dressing up has nothing to do with occult practices and pagan beliefs, what is the problem?

If your referring to my comment on your post, it's because there's no harm in dressing up.  But there is harm when someone mocks something important (like Christ) and thinks it's funny. 

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #572 on: October 28, 2011, 03:29:13 AM »

We don't do Halloween, more because of my wife than myself. I do back her up in this I'm just not as adamant about it as she is. I understand the nastiness of the Celtic orgins and the glorification of evil that has been promoted recently but, I also remember the more innocent fun I had as a kid. We won't give out candy that night, I wouldn't impose this view on anyone who disagreed though.

As to horror movies, don't do that, not at all, don't see anything good in them.

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this.  Roll Eyes I'll be much happier in the long run!

Hell, no I'm not.  Angry

Strange how the nasty Celts managed to bring these traditions into Christianity with them and the holiday was even recognised by the Church and made official with the all the tidbits that go along with it.

This sounds like the kind of argument you get against Christmas trees; because pagans displayed the heads of their enemies on trees.

<sigh>

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #573 on: October 28, 2011, 03:34:20 AM »

Didn't Christmas Trees originate from Luther?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #574 on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:05 AM »

Didn't Christmas Trees originate from Luther?

It originated with the Germans, I believe. St Boniface in the 7th Century?? Not entirely sure, really. It became popular in England sometime after Queen Victoria's marriage to Prince Albert.

Edited to add:

You got me curious!  Please stop that!  Angry  angel

Legend associates the first Christmas tree with St. Boniface and the German town of Geismar. Sometime in Boniface's lifetime (c. 672-754) he is said to have cut down the sacred tree of Thor in Geismar, replacing it with a fir tree which has been said to have been the first Christmas tree.[4] The word Tannenbaum, a German word for "fir tree", can be understood to be a "Christmas tree" although the literal meaning of "Christmas tree" is encapsulated in the word "Weihnachtsbaum."

The custom of erecting a Christmas tree can be historically traced to 15th century Livonia (present-day Estonia and Latvia) and 16th century Northern Germany. According to the first documented uses of a Christmas tree in Estonia, in 1441, 1442, and 1514 the Brotherhood of Blackheads erected a tree for the holidays in their brotherhood house in Reval (now Tallinn). At the last night of the celebrations leading up to the holidays, the tree was taken to the Town Hall Square where the members of the brotherhood danced around it.[5] In 1584, the pastor and chronicler Balthasar Russow wrote of an established tradition of setting up a decorated spruce at the market square where the young men “went with a flock of maidens and women, first sang and danced there and then set the tree aflame”.[2] In that period, the guilds started erecting Christmas trees in front of their guildhalls: Ingeborg Weber-Kellermann (Marburg professor of European ethnology) found a Bremen guild chronicle of 1570 which reports how a small tree was decorated with "apples, nuts, dates, pretzels and paper flowers" and erected in the guild-house, for the benefit of the guild members' children, who collected the dainties on Christmas Day.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree#Origin
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:45:26 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #575 on: October 28, 2011, 03:47:42 AM »

I seem to remember that Halloween is also the anniversary of an event that shattered the Western Christian world.  Does anyone remember Wittenberg?

What a great cause for celebration that the 95 theses were declared this day and helped shatter delusion. We should celebrate it every year by dressing up in costume and playing tricks on those still in delusion if they don't give us a treat.

Now this i'd like to see #laughs

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #576 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:15 AM »

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this.  Roll Eyes I'll be much happier in the long run!

Hell, no I'm not.  Angry

Strange how the nasty Celts managed to bring these traditions into Christianity with them and the holiday was even recognised by the Church and made official with the all the tidbits that go along with it.

This sounds like the kind of argument you get against Christmas trees; because pagans displayed the heads of their enemies on trees.

<sigh>

Okay, I love learning, and I'm willing (genuinely) to stand corrected if need be. Educate me. What am I misunderstanding a bout the practices of my Celtic ancestors?

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #577 on: October 28, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »

^ I draw the line at watching historical documentaries about human atrocities, rather than horror/gory movies that are exploitative about human violence (although I am fully aware of documentaries also being exploitative...but at least there is usually some sort of meaning behind it or a true story being told). Hostel, anyone?

I am inconsistent with a lot of things, but not with this. I don't watch horror movies. I watch the occasional zombie movie, but that's it. No Saw, nothing like that.

Seen Hostel.  Ugh.  Saw Saw.  You're not missing much.  Now, if you skip on Walking Dead and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, you're missing something!

Horror movies generally don't get to me.  This is a real conversation:
GF: So what would you do, Mr. Fearless, if someone in a mask came at you with a machete?
Me: [Points to loaded firearm on coffee table]
GF: But, but...wait.  Why don't they ever have guns in horror movies?
Me: Liberals.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #578 on: October 28, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »

And sorry, I could NOT hand out tracts to the kids coming to the door. I'd rather get a hotel room in town or stay out of the house for a night. It is fully within someone's right to, but I could never do it.
Panel 1: Halloween children being cast into the lake of fire.

Panel 2: "THIS COULD BE YOUR NIGHT!"

Panel 3: Kids crying while receiving crowns of candyless martyrdom in an Orthodox church.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #579 on: October 28, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

My two cents:

We are not prudes, like I said in the Premarital Sex thread, and so we in Orthodox do not need to be prudish about kiddy celebrations like Halloween.  It is an opportunity for us to have fun with our kids, to have fun with our neighbors and community, and to poke a little fun at the Devil.  After all, with everyone parading around as demons, devils, monsters, and ghosts, if anything, we are poking fun at Evil, pointing out that through Christ such things can become almost a novelty!  Imagine the glory of that! Ancient and "pagan" celebrations around demons and monsters were to acknowledge with reverent fear the power of negative forces, to remind children and adults alike of the boogie man, where as in the American celebration of Halloween, we seem to be having a blast at the Devil's expense.  We are so not afraid of Evil that we mock and jest in fun and play, pretending to "scare" each other in the guise and costumes of Evil. It is a big pageant, where we poke fun at old powers of Evil, which in Christ can be abolished from our lives.  So as long as we remain Christian about it, I say we should embrace celebrating Halloween, so long as we remind ourselves that it is Christ that allows us to trample on the serpent forces of Darkness, and it is only through Christ that we can make Evil out to be a jest, make the Devil out to be merely a costume pageant, and instead of quivering with fear spend the night with our neighbors and children making merry and laughing.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:12:36 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #580 on: October 28, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »

It is also the commemoration of St. John of Kronstadt on Oct. 30 (Church Calendar) so we are holding vigil and then Liturgy the next day so people can avoid Halloween if they wish to.

St. John is a great Saint of the Church and worth giving up candy for IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Kronstadt

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #581 on: October 28, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

My two cents:

We are not prudes, like I said in the Premarital Sex thread, and so we in Orthodox do not need to be prudish about kiddy celebrations like Halloween.  It is an opportunity for us to have fun with our kids, to have fun with our neighbors and community, and to poke a little fun at the Devil.  After all, with everyone parading around as demons, devils, monsters, and ghosts, if anything, we are poking fun at Evil, pointing out that through Christ such things can become almost a novelty!  Imagine the glory of that! Ancient and "pagan" celebrations around demons and monsters were to acknowledge with reverent fear the power of negative forces, to remind children and adults alike of the boogie man, where as in the American celebration of Halloween, we seem to be having a blast at the Devil's expense.  We are so not afraid of Evil that we mock and jest in fun and play, pretending to "scare" each other in the guise and costumes of Evil. It is a big pageant, where we poke fun at old powers of Evil, which in Christ can be abolished from our lives.  So as long as we remain Christian about it, I say we should embrace celebrating Halloween, so long as we remind ourselves that it is Christ that allows us to trample on the serpent forces of Darkness, and it is only through Christ that we can make Evil out to be a jest, make the Devil out to be merely a costume pageant, and instead of quivering with fear spend the night with our neighbors and children making merry and laughing.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Somehow, though, I don't think 90% of the people who dress up in these "costumes of Evil" have your Christian motivation in mind.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #582 on: October 28, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »

Seen Hostel.  Ugh.  Saw Saw.  You're not missing much.  Now, if you skip on Walking Dead and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, you're missing something!

GF: So what would you do, Mr. Fearless, if someone in a mask came at you with a machete?
Have you two watched Zombieland yet?  Tongue LOL though.

And I don't like the Walking Dead very much. The plot line is interesting but the zombies are just too gory for me. I know.

--
--
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #583 on: October 28, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »

Have you two watched Zombieland yet?  Tongue LOL though.

And I don't like the Walking Dead very much. The plot line is interesting but the zombies are just too gory for me. I know.

I have to say, I like that movie very much Smiley 

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #584 on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this.  Roll Eyes I'll be much happier in the long run!

Hell, no I'm not.  Angry

<sigh>

Okay, I love learning, and I'm willing (genuinely) to stand corrected if need be. Educate me. What am I misunderstanding a bout the practices of my Celtic ancestors?

Not being psychic, I don't know exactly what you are misunderstanding. Wink I don't know what you think are the nasty Celtic practices behind Samhain. Love to chat about this, actually, because I'm fascinated by the little we know about preChristian Celts. But my point is that the preChristian aspects of Samhain were carried into the lives of Christian Celts and are present in Halloween celebrations, without being perceived as nasty, evil, or spiritually damaging by those early Christians. Halloween being a Christian redesignation of the holy day of Samhain seems no different to me than the Christian redesignation of the the winter solstice, the natalis invicti, the feast of the invicible sun, on the 25th December, to the Birth of Christ.

Personally, I think that you guys in America have the opportunity to return this holiday to Christendom, to take advantage of its Christian heritage. So stop being such wimps and bring it on back to us, instead of shunning it like it's something of the devil!  angel laugh  

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:07:22 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

Tags: Halloween 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: