Author Topic: Why does Satan hate us?  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Heorot

• Halwende
    • Alme Pater
Why does Satan hate us?
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
Friends,

We often hear that Satan wants to drag us down to Hell and kill us eternally or enslave us into his rebellion. I never found this very convincing. Why does this former angel have such a detestation of man? How can the capturing and kidnapping of human beings further his plan? Is it really just out of spite for God that he attacks the unconquerable Lord's creatures?

Do the Scriptures and Traditions of Eastern Christians shed any light on why Satan has so much against us?
Primi in omnibus proeliis oculi vincuntur.
Tacitus, Germania 1.43

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: Why does Satan hate us?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »

He hates us because God loves us.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Heorot

• Halwende
    • Alme Pater
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »

He hates us because God loves us.

Does Satan hate flowers too, then? Puppies? In fact, does Satan hate himself? God loves all these things, but Satan seems to have a special hate for us. Can he not stand the Image he sees mirrored?

Perhaps the answer is in Luke 4:7. He promises Christ everything in the World if Christ would just bow down and worship Satan. God brings us to right worship of Himself, not Satan, and so the latter wishes to destroy that.
Primi in omnibus proeliis oculi vincuntur.
Tacitus, Germania 1.43

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
Friends,

We often hear that Satan wants to drag us down to Hell and kill us eternally or enslave us into his rebellion. I never found this very convincing. Why does this former angel have such a detestation of man? How can the capturing and kidnapping of human beings further his plan? Is it really just out of spite for God that he attacks the unconquerable Lord's creatures?

Do the Scriptures and Traditions of Eastern Christians shed any light on why Satan has so much against us?

I've always thought that it was Satan's pride that got the better of him and caused his rebellion against God. Some Abrahamic Traditions see Satan rebelling against God for placing them(humanity) above the angels. Personally for me, it is his lust for power that caused him to went against God. He was one of the highest ranking angels if I'm not mistaken.

But naturally, with such pride comes the hatred for God for it undermines the selfish intention to become the Greatest and Ultimate which only God is. As such, whatever is Good the Lord Creates, Satan and his fallen angels/demons will try to destroy in hopes of diminishing the Goodness and Glory of God Himself. I'm speaking from my own personal take on this issue, this is not what the Orthodox Churches have declared on this issue.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:13:33 PM by sakura95 »
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline liefern

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:28:55 PM »
Why do I do bad things? I don't know. But I do. Lord have mercy.

Offline Rambam

• High Elder
  • Send lawyers, guns, and money
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
Edmund Spenser got it wrong. I don't think Satan hates us at all. He works for God and his No. 1 mission is to bring us back to God when we get lost.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »
Well, from a logical perspective, nothing satan does make any sense. So, I don't expect other explanation than he is a failure basically. Going deeper into the psychology of failure, however, he hates us because he has no choice being a servant of death, of senselessness, of evil which basically means aberration or absence of good. It's no wonder that he hates; it's just insanity. 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:29:25 AM »
Obviously, it's because we are so tasty and he knows he can't get all of us.

1 Peter 5:8
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Georgii

• Elder
  • Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German episcopate
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »
Besides not understanding it (Jn 1:5), Satan fears and hates the light, so he wants to snuff out any light we may have in us, and any potential we have to become "sons of light" (Jn 12:36).

Edit: And we have more potential for that than do flowers (Mt 6:30).

Cf. also Jn 8:44.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:01:06 AM by Georgii »
my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:18:02 AM »
In contemplating his own created beauty, he believed that his created glory was equal to or greater than that of the Uncreated God and so sought to take the place of God, which led to his delusion and fall from heaven.  Satan could not then repent but remained fixed in this delusion, continuously striving to show himself to be greater than God by persuading first angels and then man to obey him rather than God.  Obedience to God brings eternal life and salvation, while disobedience to God destroys our souls.  Satan hates all of mankind because we were created in the image of God and because our obedience to Satan requires that we hate our own souls and the source of our own life.  While Satan hates all of creation, he is driven more by pride, envy, and a desire to be more powerful than God rather than a simple dislike of humankind per se.     

Offline charbelkaleab

• Most High Imperial Prince
  • Elder
  • St John of Shanghai and San Francisco pray for us!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Obviously, it's because we are so tasty and he knows he can't get all of us.

1 Peter 5:8

YES how this is worded is great and hilarious!  ;D

Offline Zois

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:24 AM »
I'd say there are many reasons Satan wants to bring us to him, instead of in the near of God. His hatred to God, because He made him leave the Heaven, made Satan to try to keep us away from God, because God loves us. And if we don't praise God, Satan will get his satisfaction.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
Because he chose hate. And he knows it.

He was not led into it, he was not seduced by any other previous fallen angel. He, of his own free will, saw that God's Kingdom is love, so if he were to have his own kingdom it could only be hate.
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 04:15:08 AM »
Friends,

False... Satan not exist... But if he was exist he is God's creature also and have done nothing wrong, but I got my truth that he don't existing nowhere... Also I never believed in hell and heaven, maybe only reincarnation and being immortal on earths... For more info try to find one problem: why angels are created holy and humans in fall. And need to be saints to be equal to angels, but saints are less than you can imagine! The problem solved: we and only we are angels and saints, not created in false heaven creatures... Being angel not means you are not equal to Satan if he exist. No demons,spirit,satan is only false theory like heaven,hell.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:17:08 AM by Indocern »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 04:54:00 AM »
I don't know if psychologizing Satan is particularly useful to anything.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online andi.zhgaba3

• Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Albania
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 05:43:24 AM »
Friends,

False... Satan not exist... But if he was exist he is God's creature also and have done nothing wrong, but I got my truth that he don't existing nowhere... Also I never believed in hell and heaven, maybe only reincarnation and being immortal on earths... For more info try to find one problem: why angels are created holy and humans in fall. And need to be saints to be equal to angels, but saints are less than you can imagine! The problem solved: we and only we are angels and saints, not created in false heaven creatures... Being angel not means you are not equal to Satan if he exist. No demons,spirit,satan is only false theory like heaven,hell.
Are you really an Orthodox Christian? What kind of theologomena are these, if yes?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:48:34 AM by andi.zhgaba3 »
"God created man to be immortal and made him to be an image of his own eternity. Death entered the universe only through the devil’s envy." Wisdom 2:23-24

"For God made not death: nor has he pleasure in the destruction of the living." Wisdom 1:13

"For you love all the things that are and hate nothing which you have made: for never would you have made any thing if you had hated it." Wisdom 11:24

"You spare all things, for they are yours, O Lord and lover of life." Wisdom 11:26

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
Friends,

Are you really an Orthodox Christian? What kind of theologomena are these, if yes?

Yes, it is mine theologomena.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
  "O Hell! what do mine eyes with grief behold? 
Into our room of bliss thus high advanced 
Creatures of other mould—Earth-born perhaps,             
Not Spirits, yet to Heavenly Spirits bright 
Little inferior—whom my thoughts pursue 
With wonder, and could love; so lively shines 
In them divine resemblance, and such grace 
The hand that formed them on their shape hath poured.             
Ah! gentle pair, ye little think how nigh 
Your change approaches, when all these delights 
Will vanish, and deliver ye to woe— 
More woe, the more your taste is now of joy: 
Happy, but for so happy ill secured             
Long to continue, and this high seat, your Heaven, 
Ill fenced for Heaven to keep out such a foe 
As now is entered; yet no purposed foe 
To you, whom I could pity thus forlorn, 
Though I unpitied. League with you I seek,             
And mutual amity, so strait, so close, 
That I with you must dwell, or you with me, 
Henceforth. My dwelling, haply, may not please, 
Like this fair Paradise, your sense; yet such 
Accept your Marker’s work; he gave it me,             
Which I as freely give. Hell shall unfold, 
To entertain you two, her widest gates, 
And send forth all her kings; there will be room, 
Not like these narrow limits, to receive 
Your numerous offspring; if no better place,             
Thank him who puts me, loath, to this revenge 
On you, who wrong me not, for him who wronged. 
And, should I at your harmless innocence 
Melt, as I do, yet public reason just— 
Honour and empire with revenge enlarged             
By conquering this new World—compels me now 
To do what else, though damned, I should abhor.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 10:20:54 AM »
Friends,

Scripture says he does exist.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »
Friends,

Scripture says he does exist.
Where? It talks about him, but where does it say he exists?
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
If it talks about him, then it says he exists.

Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you that dwell therein. Woe to the earth, and to the sea, because the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, knowing that he hath but a short time.
Revelation 12:12 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Revelation%2012:12&version=DRA
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »

Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you that dwell therein. Woe to the earth, and to the sea, because the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, knowing that he hath but a short time.
Revelation 12:12 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Revelation%2012:12&version=DRA
Interesting. So the Apple in the garden literally existed? The sun moves around the earth?
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Online andi.zhgaba3

• Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Albania
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 11:32:25 AM »

Interesting. So the Apple in the garden literally existed? The sun moves around the earth?

How lovely it is to deliberately mix allegory and truth! One knows what he is doing, but anyways let's pretend there's nothing wrong in such a way of "thinking" (if there is a honest mindset in this, let's assume for a moment), so what is there to blame that one for?
Just because biro chose that quote to speak of Satan's existence according to the Scriptures, that doesn't nullify the other quotes's reality speaking of Satan, even if a nice answer is given to the Revelation Quote. Only because biro decided to give a practical answer to Indocern, that doesn't mean he mixes allegory and concrete reality, beebert. Disagree if you want, but please don't be dishonest!
"God created man to be immortal and made him to be an image of his own eternity. Death entered the universe only through the devil’s envy." Wisdom 2:23-24

"For God made not death: nor has he pleasure in the destruction of the living." Wisdom 1:13

"For you love all the things that are and hate nothing which you have made: for never would you have made any thing if you had hated it." Wisdom 11:24

"You spare all things, for they are yours, O Lord and lover of life." Wisdom 11:26

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
Thread locked pending review.
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
Friends,

Indocern,

No one is allowed to post non-Orthodox ideas or opinions in this section.  There's not a single Orthodox idea in anything you wrote above.  I would ordinarily be inclined to let this go with a simple warning, but because of how your post caused things to escalate, I am imposing on you a warning of thirty (30) points. 

If you would like to appeal this decision, please PM Dominika, the global moderator overseeing this section. 

Mor Ephrem, moderator

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 08:21:01 PM »
Thread unlocked.  Return to the topic and keep the non-Orthodox musings out of this section. 

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
It's part of the nature of the consequence of Angelic being, their will, their virtues, and their rebellion.

If you can imagine pride, vainglory, jealousy, wrath,lust, hubris, an inflexible will, the near willful absence of goodness or right reason in the most self deluded man imagine that human fault  being an atom to the cosmos in terms of angelic powers, but yet still small when compared to God's love, mercy, compassion, and power which is even more incomprehensible.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:03:43 PM by William T »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
Where? It talks about him, but where does it say he exists?

I see where this is headed...

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
I was just reading this last evening in the book "The Mystery of Death", by Nikolaos P Vassiliadis, copyright 1993, by The Orthodox Brotherhood of Theologians.

"The devil, who had apostasized first from the true life which is God, felt great envy toward Adam when he saw him living in Paradise, the place of pure enjoyment, and being surrounded by divine glory, and progressing from earth toward heaven, from where he himself had rightly been expelled by God.  The deceptive devil envying man for all these reasons became a raging maniac determined to push man into a rebellion against God and to reduce him to a slave of death and of Hades. Our God-bearing father Maximos writes: Since the devil is jealous both of us and of God, he persuaded man by guile that God was jealous of him (cf. Gen. 3,5) and so made him break the commandment. The devil is jealous of God lest his power should be seen actually divinizing man; and he is jealous of man lest through attainment of virtue man should become a personal participant in divine glory. It was not only hatred, but envy as well, that moved the misanthrope serpent to deceive the rational creature of God."
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »
I was just reading this last evening in the book "The Mystery of Death", by Nikolaos P Vassiliadis, copyright 1993, by The Orthodox Brotherhood of Theologians.

+1

"For God formed us to be imperishable; the image of his own nature he made us. But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world, and they who are allied with him experience it."  (Wis. 2:23-24)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 05:26:24 PM »
Hatred stems from a lack of reconciliation. And Christ has reconciled all things to Himself. So in eternity's mystical time, even the devil's hatred will perish in the fire of divine love.

Selam, +GMK+
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:04 AM »
2 reasons:
- he wants God to forgive him without repenting, so his plans is to get everyone condemned, in his mind, this way the loving God will have no choice but to forgive everyone.
- he is very proud, and when he sees man's beauty advancing in God's kingdom, his ego doesn't give him rest.

His evil schemes were ultimately defeated on the cross, that is why he and his legions hate the cross, all the evil they committed was in vain, and they will only inherit condemnation.

So when you see evil, fear not! Know that Christ is risen and victorious!