Author Topic: Following Christ vs being like Christ  (Read 191 times)

xOrthodox4Christx and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
  • Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
Following Christ vs being like Christ
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:18:11 PM »
What's the difference?
"Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise." - Psalm 51:15

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: Following Christ vs being like Christ
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
I don't think I'm familiar with this dichotomy can you give an example, or put this in context?
Holy Toledo!

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
  • Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »
I don't think I'm familiar with this dichotomy can you give an example, or put this in context?

I remember a while ago that being told that Western churches teach to "follow Christ" as opposed to how us Orthodox teach to be like Christ.
"Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise." - Psalm 51:15

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
sorry, I don't think I can help you.  To me they are nearly interchangeable if that's worth anything.
Holy Toledo!

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:31:57 AM »

There is a HUGE difference.

One can blindly follow instructions....without understanding or any deeper meaning.   This would be akin to the Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector.  The Pharisee was a "follower"....he prayed regularly, gave alms, etc.....but, what of it.

Or the young man who asked Christ what he needed to do for salvation...and when Christ told him to follow the Commandments, etc...the young man said he already does all that...so, then Christ told him to distribute his wealth (like Christ)...and give it to the poor....and he was troubled and left.

When we are "like" Christ....we do not have to read the instructions and check of the items on the list....we merely "live"....and through our actions we live as Christ would want us....we are humble, generous, kind and merciful.

We are servants...by choice...not slaves...who must follow blindly.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
What's the difference?

Probably this alludes to the idea that some Western Christians see the salvation of Christ as merely a moral endeavor, or at the very least the moral endeavor takes priority.  Eastern Christians do not deny the moral endeavor, but preface this endeavor by making the communion and partaking of the fullness of Christ as the priority of our salvation.  This is probably what it means to “follow” versus “being like” Christ.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Asteriktos

• titular master of all I survey
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:34:27 PM »
Scripture says to do both, so it'd all depend on whether someone was misusing one term or another. If you come across a specific example feel free to post it...
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:02:55 AM »

I remember a while ago that being told that Western churches teach to "follow Christ" as opposed to how us Orthodox teach to be like Christ.

This is confusing statement, you dont want to transform yourself into Christ, because then you will become an antichrist. There is only one King.

What your goal should be is to unite yourself with this King, as st Paul says that it is no longer he who lives but Christ who lives in him.

And as the gospel of john says, if you want Christ to come and live in your heart, you have to fulfill His commandments, then he will come with the Father and make you His home.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:10:00 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:57:32 AM »
They are the same, as Jesus suggests when he says, take up your cross and follow me. People trying to fabricate another east-west division from this is bizarroland.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. Gregory Palamas, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:25:32 AM »
They are the same, as Jesus suggests when he says, take up your cross and follow me. People trying to fabricate another east-west division from this is bizarroland.
Lol I swear I've heard some Orthodox scoff at the notion of "Imitating Christ" as anothee Western trait. Imitation! Kempis had it all wrong!
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI