OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:42:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Bible (Septuagint trans.)  (Read 2025 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: September 29, 2007, 02:17:32 AM »

Has anyone heard of this person or his work?

http://www.peterpapoutsis.com/index.htm

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 05:51:03 AM »

I've seen his website and gasped as his pricing...but no reviews, yet.
Hopefully someone here has more info.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 09:42:19 AM »

$5.00 for a downloadable book?  Not bad, not bad at all!  I looked at this guy's bio and I saw nothing about his education or anything about this work having the imprimatur of any Orthodox hierarch or jurisdiction.  This guy is obviously not a priest (though he may be very minor clergy).  I need all of this clarified before jumping in to buy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »

Initially there was no download option and the price was considerable, whatever it was - can't remember. I did question how ONE person could take this on by himself.
Perhaps there are some reviews?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »

Found this on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Orthodox-Bible-Vol-Pentateuch/dp/0976022907/ref=sr_1_13/103-7288821-9756643?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191089719&sr=1-13

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »

Did you also read the publisher information?  This guy put up the money to publish his own work.  I'm sorry, but this is extremely suspect to me.  Why not go through one of the many Orthodox publishing houses in this country?   Unless of course his work was rejected by Orthodox clergy and hierarchs. 

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Panayioti

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »

Maybe instead of wondering you can ask me directly? I do have an e-mail. If you truly want to know how one man could do such a thing just ask. However, you might be surprised at my answer its quite simple. I'll wait until someone asks, but until then don't speculate and don't always assume the Church "Accepts or Rejects" something because its good or bad, maybe, just maybe I just don't have the political connections others have. Just a thought.

Take care and I'll await any questions you might have.

Peter A. Papoutsis

www.Peterpapoutsis.com

www.Lulu.com
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »

Maybe instead of wondering you can ask me directly? I do have an e-mail. If you truly want to know how one man could do such a thing just ask. However, you might be surprised at my answer its quite simple. I'll wait until someone asks, but until then don't speculate and don't always assume the Church "Accepts or Rejects" something because its good or bad, maybe, just maybe I just don't have the political connections others have. Just a thought.

Fair enough, Peter.  Would you mind explaining on this board as to why you're colossal undertaking was not picked up by the major Orthodox publishers here in the United States?  What political connections are you referring to?  I'd really like to know as I'm sure others would as well.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »

Mr. Papoutsis,

First, I meant no disrespect by questioning your work.  I wonder, though, if you could address the questions that were asked re: you and your work?  Thanks in advance!

In Christ,

Gabriel

Panayioti

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 12:54:42 AM »

First Question:  Why has not any Major Orthodox Publisher picked up your Work?

Answer: Orthodox Book Publishers, like all book publishers, such as Light-n-Life, and unorthodox Christian Publishers, such as Paulist Press, need to know that the book will make money. An Orthodox Bible in English, according to Light-n-Life when I approached them, is not profitable enough for their limited resources. Light-n-Life is not a wealthy as say Zondervan or Thomas Nelson.

St. Validmir's Press also stated that they would publish my work, but they are doing the exact same translation that will be coming out in a few years. They stated they could not publish both translations and their translation took precedence.

Traditional Orthodox Christian Book Publishers are interested, but what to wait until Holy Transfiguration Monastery's LXX translation comes out first. These are the answers given to me. Like them or not these are the answers, but none questioned the quality of the translation.

Question:  Why hasn't any Major Orthodox Jurisdiction supported my translation?

Answer: They will not! Orthodoxy in America is NOT one Church, but various Jurisdictions. Not even the Orthodox Study Bible is supported by any Orthodox Jurisdiction and probably will never be because there is not one voice of Orthodoxy. Fr. Stanley Harakes in his current book on the Orthodox Study Bible goes into this a little further.

Question:  What Political connections are you talking about?

Answer:  The OSB people had connections with Thomas Nelson and used their NT & Psalms with wateredown Orthodox notes because they could. Every Orthodox theologian of any note criticized the OSB NT & Psalms and rightly so. Now they have access to the OT text of the NKJV, reworked it and are publishing it taking the criticisms to heart. Good for them let's now wait and see what comes of it.

Question:  Why are you, Peter Papoutsis, doing this English translation of the LXX?

Answer:  I was called to do it. It is yours for the taking and asking. I need no ones approval but God's
He put this burden on my heart and no other. If the Church wishes to bless this translation, that I offered to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese many times with never any response, it will up to them. The translation is there for them to inspect, but they will wait for the OSB to come out to look at that first and that is fair.

Finally, I am also helping out an OCA priest on the Eastern Orthodox Bible translation that does like my translation and has asked me to help him out. The LXX and Greek NT is finally here in English let's support them all, test them all and then judge their quality.

Have a Good night and God Bless.

Peter
Tags: Orthodox Study Bible 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: