OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:32:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The forgiving woman (beaten by her husband)  (Read 17711 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2007, 12:10:47 AM »

You obviously have never watched an episode of COPS or have ever visited a battered woman's shelter.  There are thousands of American women who put up with spousal abuse on a daily basis.
I guess it's for much the same reason why many people would much rather keep a dead relationship going than break the relationship off in the hope of starting a much better one with someone else, or even just enjoying life alone.  Call it unhealthy attachment borne out of one's fear of the unknown.  "Sure, he treats me like ****, but if I leave him, I may never find another man who will love me."  Irrational?  Absolutely!  But this fear is very real to the person suffering it, and many--it's not just women--are paralyzed by this.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »

I guess it's for much the same reason why many people would much rather keep a dead relationship going than break the relationship off in the hope of starting a much better one with someone else, or even just enjoying life alone.  Call it unhealthy attachment borne out of one's fear of the unknown.  "Sure, he treats me like ****, but if I leave him, I may never find another man who will love me."  Irrational?  Absolutely!  But this fear is very real to the person suffering it, and many--it's not just women--are paralyzed by this.

That's my point exactly.  One doesn't have to be from another country or culture to feel the irrational fear that keeps people in horrible relationship situations.  There are thousands of native-bornAmericans, both men and women, who are in abusive relationships out of fear, especially in "middle America".  Demetrios G. mentioned he lives in NYC, where people actually do have far greater access to services for the battered. 

Most of America doesn't.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2007, 11:41:16 AM »

There's fear, and also the strange fact that the abused still have feelings for their abusers.  I put up with emotional abuse for months from one guy, even wanted him back when he left, because I still felt I loved him.  I did protest when he treated me badly, but I never left him.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2007, 12:26:41 PM »

I am still pondering this 'case' - so far as we know it. It strikes me that the husband was guilty of adultery - the only allowable, technically, reason an ecclesiastical court would recognize for divorce. The wife obviously refused that recourse (if indeed the bishop would have allowed that). Does this have an hypothetical bearing here?

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I thought apostasy was also grounds for divorce?  And in all Christian compassion, wouldn't fear of death at the hands of your spouse be acceptable by a church court as well?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2007, 12:29:42 PM »

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I thought apostasy was also grounds for divorce?  And in all Christian compassion, wouldn't fear of death at the hands of your spouse be acceptable by a church court as well?

He's talking about the explicitly stated reasons given by Christ for leaving one's spouse.  The Church has a wider allowance in many cases than this: abuse, apostasy, etc. are normally included.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:30:04 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: