OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:09:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Delegations to Orthodox Patriarchates  (Read 939 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: September 24, 2007, 10:15:34 AM »

Anyhow, I'd like to ask a question. I know already that Rome usually sends a delegation to Constantinople on the Feast of St. Andrew, and receives one of the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul; but does anyone know whether Rome has any similar annual custom with any Orthodox jurisdiction besides Constantinople?

For example, does Rome send a delegation to the Coptic Patriarch on the feast of St. Mark, or to Moscow to celebrate the Baptism of Rus (or the feast of Sts. Cyril and Methodios, or whatever the appropriate feast would be)?

Thanks in advance,
Peter.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:20:28 PM »

After the bishop’s remarks, the Metropolitan Methodios and Cardinal O’Malley each shared with the council the experience they have had building a special relationship in Boston including the annual exchange of delegations on the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul and St. Andrew and mutual participation in Holy Week and Easter liturgies.

This is a little dated, but I found this address from one of Archbishop O'Malley's previous visits to Metropolitan Methodios:

November 29, 2004 - Archbishop Sean O'Malley's Address at Vesper Service Honoring Saint Andrew, Patron Saint of the Church of Constantinople

I thank the Metropolitan Methodios for continuing this wonderful tradition of using the feasts of the Holy Apostles, the brothers, Peter and Andrew as an opportunity to come together in prayer and fellowship longing for the day when our brotherhood will be complete, when our Churches are once again united as they were for centuries.

The challenges posed by our contemporary society make it imperative that believers come together to proclaim the Good News with one voice and one heart.

I regret that I was not in Boston on the feast of Saint Peter, Andrew’s brother, to reciprocate this invitation to be here today, but in June I was in Rome to receive the Pallium, which was kept on the very tomb of Saint Peter.  It was a special joy and blessing that the Ecumenical Patriarch participated personally in the pallium Mass.  We were all encouraged by his presence and his words.

Today the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I is visiting the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II for his second visit in six months.  The Holy Father will present the Ecumenical Patriarch with the relics of Saints John Chrysostom and Gregory Nazianzen.  These two great saints are doctors of the Church and were bishops of Constantinople. They are part of our common heritage and are venerated by Catholics and Orthodox alike.

While in Rome the Patriarch is to meet with the Holy Father who is very anxious to revive the work of the mixed Catholic Orthodox theological commission which has been dormant since a meeting in Baltimore in July of 2000.

As the Ecumenical Patriarch and the Pope of Rome meet to pray and dialogue, we pray that the Holy and all praised Apostle Andrew, the first called and brother of Peter will help our Churches to walk on the path of unity and to pursue our relations marked by sensitivity and forgiveness, so that we can proclaim together that Christ is our Savior and the Savior of the of the human race.  With a pure and free heart we strive to obey the will of the Lord, continuing our sincere, fraternal and loving quest for full communion.

We pray that Mary, the woman of Advent, the Theotokos whose yes to God’s will allowed our Blessed Savior to be born into our human family, will guide her children East and West on the path of solidarity and unity.  The proclamation of the Gospel is hindered by the scandal of disunity.  Healing the wounds of that division will help the world to believe that God sent His only begotten son to be our Savior.

I hope that the mutual respect and affection that draws us together in Boston as Catholics and Orthodox can be a leaven in the whole Church in our spiritual journey toward a restoration of unity.

We know that the task of unity is not something optional.  It is part of the call to fidelity and holiness.  The closer we draw to the Lord and His Holy Mother and saints, the closer we will draw to each other.

In the Western Church Advent is a time of expectation and hope.  I know that we share these sentiments with our brothers and sisters of the Orthodox tradition as we wait on the Lord.  We must make straight the paths by praying and working together in the essential work of ecumenism.

Our Churches share so much in common including a thousand years of history that we must all be hopeful that what man has broken, God can fix.  Of us He asks only charity and humility.

On the part of the Archdiocese I pledge my prayers and whatever I can do to help us on the road to healing and unity.  I thank the Metropolitan and all here present for your warm hospitality and for all you do to promote unity and fellowship.

The Most Reverend Seán P. O’Malley, OFM Cap
 Archbishop of Boston
 November 29, 2004

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: