OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 1596 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: September 18, 2007, 01:33:59 PM »

Hi, everyone.

In the not-too-distant future, I plan on asking my girlfriend to marry me.  As such I am quite nervous.  I have still not met her family and there are some differences that we nee to work out between us before going that far.  To that end, can anyone recommend some good ORthodox reading to prepare not only for the married life, but also for having kids.  I'm terrified of ever becoming father though I do want kids and I want to do as much preparation beforehand as possible.  So, whatever you got, I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be  Wink).  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 06:15:56 PM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:18:17 PM »

So, it's conceivable that there'll soon be more of you running around?  Wink I have Meyendorff's Marriage: An Orthodox Perspective which I found lacking in practical information but really great in the study (read dry, academic) of the history of the rubrics. There are a few (seemingly) great books out there from the Orthodox perspective that you can find at Light-n-Life.com. The book I bought at our bookstore is by Dr. Peter M. Kalellis called Preparing for Marriage: Marriage in the Orthodox Church. It's a actually a workbook that's supposed to accompany the couple through counseling with the priest. Some of it is geared to a younger audience, but most of it is quite helpful; esp. the chapters on Money Management, Conflict Resolution, and In-Laws. In addition to talking to your priest, there's a lot of great information online. I found a lot of helpful info on the Greek Orthodox Church's site (goarch.org). Hope this helps. And congrats to you (I'm sure she'll say yes!).

In Christ,
 Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:08:44 PM »

YAY, congratulations! 

Mr. Y and I have read the two books Jibrail mentioned and they are quite good.  We also have Aflame: Ancient Wisdom on Marriage, which turns out to be quotes from Orthodox fathers about marriage.  Interesting stuff, but equivalent to the little inspirational compilations you see at Hallmark.  The other one we own is  Preserve Them, O Lord: A Guide for Orthodox Couples in Developing Marital Unity by Fr. John Mack.  This one is also a workbook for engaged or newly married couples, much like Dr. Kalellis' book.  I found that one to be a little cheesy and dated in parts, but it does have good advice on things like dealing with conflict and planning for children.  It also has several recommended readings that I've not read: Plain Talk on Marriage by Fr. Gordon Walker, Crown Them with Glory and Honor by Fr. David Anderson, and some others. 

One I just saw on Amazon is On Marriage and Family Life by St. John Chrysostom.  The link takes you to the Amazon page; there are several reviews of the book there. (Sounds like a pretty good one... I'm putting it on my wish list.)

Good luck and best wishes!  Smiley  Let us know if you need help planning or need Orthodox wedding supplies... I think I've combed the galaxy finding all the neccesary bits for our wedding and we did the whole thing for around $6000 total.  (Though $1500 of that went toward the reception hall... ouch.)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 08:17:27 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Maksim

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:54:40 PM »

I highly recommend the above-mentioned On Marriage and Family Life.  I'm a firm believer that every subject needs at least a little commentary by St. John Chrysostom   Smiley
Tabitha

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:47:48 AM »

All the above mentioned books are great... More useful than a lot of the wedding books and magazines out there, most of those cease to remember the fact that there is more than the wedding involved.  Having those books to read amidst the decisions of invitations and such is very helpful for one to retain one's sanity (especially for the woman, no offense men  Wink )  A book our priest recommended to my husband and I was Making God Real in the Orthodox Christian Home by Anthony M. Coniaris.  It is really straightforward with short chapters dealing with things such as some of the feast days and keeping children focused on messages from Liturgy and making them an idea they can grasp.  It even approaches some of the more difficult things that can come up like explaining death to children.  While we haven't yet used the book in a practical sense (We've been married for almost three months at this point, so no children yet!)  It does make the idea of children a little less intimidating.  I am pretty sure the book is still in print... it came out in the 1970's and has a cover pretty reflective of that fact.  As they say, "don't judge a book by it's cover"  laugh Hopefully it will be a good spring board for you two, and good luck and congratulations!

Turning to the dead body, Peter said, “Tabitha, arise.”  And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up… and it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed on the Lord.
(Acts 9:40-42)
Tags: books marriage wedding 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: