OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:49:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Protestants?  (Read 26638 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2008, 12:53:53 AM »

The majority of the forum appears to be Orthodox Brothers and sisters arguing, fighting and acting in derisive behavior towards each other. 

What else do brothers and sisters do with each other?   Grin   The people I am the most polite to are strangers.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2008, 02:06:34 AM »

What else do brothers and sisters do with each other?   Grin 

Isn't that the truth, LoL!   laugh
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:06:58 AM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
FrancisA

Faith: Christian

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2008, 12:44:55 AM »

What else do brothers and sisters do with each other? 

Thanks for that insight.  Several folks sent me PMs trying to explain it and I didn't get it.  This makes a whole bunch of sense though..  Wait till you meet my family Roll Eyes
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2008, 01:48:31 AM »

What else do brothers and sisters do with each other?
Part of it's sibling rivalry.  The other part of it is that we each know what we can get away with. Cool
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »

True
I have been posting here since 2004 and have gotten to "know" other post-ers. Some have been here longer than me. Others have come and gone. I don't post anywhere else.

What I like most is the repartee. Sometimes it makes me angry. Sometimes annoyed. But usually it stimulates me to think and evaluate and re-evaluate. As iron sharpens iron, as the text says.

Sometimes you can be right with another post-er on a particular subject. The next thread you can be on exact opposite sides of an issue. It is interesting and mentally stimulating.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2008, 03:49:50 AM »

What else do brothers and sisters do with each other?   Grin   The people I am the most polite to are strangers.

One of the best statements/explanations ever.

My dad, when I was criticizing about something would say, "Do you say/do this to your friends too?" and I would answer, "Of course not!  They're my friends!"  I remember a classmate in one of my statistics classes in college who was doing a double in Stats/Sociology would say how we act differently around our friends compared to our family.  While obvious sounding, this was a revelation to me.  I thought about this and it was like a DUH! statement.
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »

I was a baptist for 30 some odd years, from Independent, southern or freewill...bapticostal as well. Whatever Jerry thought he would be at the time is what the church did.
Then there were so many daughter churches from that ministry/seminary that you could find any flavor you wanted in baptistdom.
I have only been a convert of nearly 5 years so I am probably still wired a little funny. Wink
I personally find it incredibly difficult, if not downright impossible, to get past the feminine aspects of baptist dogma in order to have rational discussion with my 'sisters'. And since I still live in a rabidly baptist area that means I don't get to have much rational discussion.  Huh
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2008, 03:16:12 PM »

For some reason I have been a bit reluctant to reply but here goes:

I am at present the Pastor of a Church of God (Cleveland, TN) church.  COG is a Pentecostal denomination and I am a fourth generation COG (please don't read this as boasting, I just want  you to understand my Protestant background better).  I am very much convinced of the Truth of Orthodoxy and will by God's Grace one day make the leap.  As I have stated in previous post, attending our denominational seminary and there being introduced to the Fathers (albeit only briefly) began my journey.  I have been studying Orthodoxy for several yearfs now.  I have been to some services (not nearly as many as I would like) and have a fine OCA priest with whom I have contact. 

Pray for me, the sinner.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »

For some reason I have been a bit reluctant to reply but here goes:

I am at present the Pastor of a Church of God (Cleveland, TN) church.  COG is a Pentecostal denomination and I am a fourth generation COG (please don't read this as boasting, I just want  you to understand my Protestant background better).  I am very much convinced of the Truth of Orthodoxy and will by God's Grace one day make the leap.  As I have stated in previous post, attending our denominational seminary and there being introduced to the Fathers (albeit only briefly) began my journey.  I have been studying Orthodoxy for several yearfs now.  I have been to some services (not nearly as many as I would like) and have a fine OCA priest with whom I have contact. 

Pray for me, the sinner.

Lord, have mercy on your servant.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »

The question seems to be simply, "Are there any Protestants on this forum?" unless I am missing something. The answer is Yes. My family were Methodists from about the 1860s, and I came to faith in Christ in a Methodist context about a century later, but was persuaded that baptism should be applied only to believers, so I was baptised by immersion in 1966. I am a member of a Baptist church, and have served two pastorates in Baptist churches. The question, whether it is right or even mandatory to be Roman Catholic, Orthodox or Evangelical was one I considered carefully. I have not seen a reason to change churches. It does not follow that I believe I have no RC or Orthodox brethren in Christ with whom, by God's mercy, I shall spend eternity.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »

Welcome, David Young!

Yours is a good reply, simply stated. I think you'll find many similarities in Orthodoxy to what you have stated. We also baptize believers (though this practice is different from the so-called "believers' baptism"), by immersion whenever possible (unless precluded by illness or other such condition). We also believe that those who receive God will be with Him eternally, and that though we are the one true Body of Christ, we cannot and should not say who will not be saved.

I look forward to many good discussions with you on this forum.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Carico

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2008, 08:29:28 PM »

Are there any Protestants on this forum?

Yup.  Wink
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2008, 02:11:43 AM »

I am a convert to Orthodoxy.
I love and respect the Presbyterian/Reformed heritage I had before coming to Orthodoxy.
When I read something stupid, or stereotypcial, a strawman, or a caricture of protestantism or evangelicalism, I feel myself a protestant because the usual falaciousness of the attempts to reduce protestantism/evangelicalism to something ridiculous awakens in me  protective instinct.
BTW, I have a very narrow, historical definition of evangelical: those who in the thirties and early forties identified themselves as neo-evangelicals in opposition to fundamentalists. The progeny of Harold Ockenga, Carl F. H. Henry and Billy Graham.

I do not consider pentecostals, charasmatics, and fundamentalists to be evangelicals in the historical sense. In my estimation, Pat Robertson is not an evangelical; Jerry Falwell was not (he was a fundamentalist). NONE of the past or current TV faith healers are evangelcials.

I am a "strict constructionist" regarding evangelicalism.

Regarding evangelicals in the British Isles, I am not as conversant but would mention John Stott. J.I. Packer, Willi Still and Os Guiness.
Tags: Protestant Christianity 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: