OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 06:54:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Covenant in Effect?  (Read 1384 times) Average Rating: 0
St. Christopher

« on: September 16, 2007, 10:56:29 PM »

Is the Old Covenant is in effect or has the New Covenant replaced it in Orthodox teaching?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:08:16 PM »

How would you see the Old Covenant still being in effect?

The central rite of the Old Covenant was the animal sacrifice; we certainly don't do THIS anymore, seeing its fulfillment in Christ's Passion and the Eucharist as we do.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:10:49 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:25:51 AM »

Depends on which Old Covenant you're talking about... Wink Grin

No seriously though, which aspect of the OT are you talking about? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
St. Christopher

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:31:18 AM »

I don't see the Old Covenant being in effect.  I hear people make comments about the Sabbath still being in effect and I wondered if some people believed parts of the Old Law are still binding.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:32:07 AM »

The 10 Commandments still are...so what part of the "old law" are you talking about? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:34:36 AM »

This sounds like the same question posed to the Apostles, and I suppose the answers should be the same: the commandments are in effect, and the covenant with Noah (that's what they decided); but the Abramic covenant (including circumcision) and later ones are not.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
St. Christopher

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:03:43 PM »

Is the command to rest on the Sabbath still in effect?  I work just about every Saturday.  I commonly work on Sunday.   Sad  My priest hasn't said anything negative about my working.  Isn't a Christian's Sabbath rest in heaven (Hebrews 3:7-19)?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 11:09:35 PM »

Is the command to rest on the Sabbath still in effect?  I work just about every Saturday.  I commonly work on Sunday.   Sad  My priest hasn't said anything negative about my working.  Isn't a Christian's Sabbath rest in heaven (Hebrews 3:7-19)?
I guess what we need to understand now is how the Sabbath fits the greater context of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the great beginning of the New World to come, whose memory we anticipate every Lord's Day, the first day of every week, the day after the Sabbath.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:44:44 AM »

Christ fulfilled the Law and the Old Covenant (Abraham and Moses, and Noah and Adam for that matter).

Our Covenant is in Christ.

The Spirit of sonship and liberty in Christ, the Holy Spirit, is not at odds with the Old Testament law and covenants. Those parts that represent moral behavior are the same in both covenants. The ceremonial and sacrificial aspects have been fulfilled by Christ and so they are completed and no longer have to be performed.

He also perfectly fulfilled the moral law as the sinless One. The difference is that we are released from the ceremonial and sacrificial and those are done away with. Whereas we are released from the moral law as the thing which gave sin its power, according to St. Paul, when we walk in the Spirit we are fulfilling the law as we are vivified by the Spirit.

We are not under the OT law; we are under the Spirit - yet the outcome should be the same in our morals; it actually should be better!

Regarding the Sabbath. In the OT it was primarily a day for rest and family. (Hopefully in your employment you have a day or two off and get rested and time with your family). The New Covenant moved the
sabbath" from the 7th day to the 8th day, or first day, depending on how you are counting (Sunday; the 8th day being symbolic of Christian eternal rest with Christ) and put the emphasis on worship (liturgy) rather than rest from labor.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:51:02 AM »

Maybe this will help you out.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11979.0.html

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 01:18:07 AM »

Regarding the Sabbath. In the OT it was primarily a day for rest and family. (Hopefully in your employment you have a day or two off and get rested and time with your family). The New Covenant moved the
sabbath" from the 7th day to the 8th day, or first day, depending on how you are counting (Sunday; the 8th day being symbolic of Christian eternal rest with Christ) and put the emphasis on worship (liturgy) rather than rest from labor.
I've read and heard it this way by some, and by others that the 7th day (Saturday) is still the Sabbath.  I personally look to the great service of Holy Saturday which calls this Saturday the blessed Sabbath on which Christ rested in the tomb.  If Christ, by resting in the tomb, reiterated the holiness He granted to the Sabbath when He created the world, then how do we say that Saturday is no longer the Sabbath?  I just see the 7th Day Sabbath within the light of the eschatological 8th Day, the Day of Resurrection that heralds our eternal Sabbath rest at the end of the age.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »

Would it matter what day of the week is your day of rest?  Or is the Sabath directly linked to this event? 

I think the answer to this question could help us greatly in this dialogue...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags: Old Covenant  Old Law 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: