OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 02:04:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Luke Being Ironic?  (Read 905 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: September 15, 2007, 08:15:54 PM »

I've been reading an interesting article by a sociologist (not a theologian) which mentions in passing the Scripture passage Luke 3:1-2.
The author of the article suggests that the Evangelist is employing irony by contrasting a long list of worldly powers and their juristictions with the fact that the most momentous historical event actually came to a humble "nobody" in the desert.
I always thought that St. Luke was merely placing the event in history, but I can see now that he is also possibly employing the irony the author suggests:

"Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar,
Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea,
and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee,
and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis,
and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene,
Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests,
the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness."

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 08:30:02 PM »

Yeah I really do like the contrasting Irony. But in a way isn't the whole new testament Ironic? The King of all made to be humble Jewish carpenter (for arguments sake lets say he was a carpenter). Greatness coming out of humility isn't that the biggest irony?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 09:24:57 PM »

I've been reading an interesting article by a sociologist (not a theologian) which mentions in passing the Scripture passage Luke 3:1-2.
The author of the article suggests that the Evangelist is employing irony by contrasting a long list of worldly powers and their juristictions with the fact that the most momentous historical event actually came to a humble "nobody" in the desert.
I always thought that St. Luke was merely placing the event in history, but I can see now that he is also possibly employing the irony the author suggests:

His observation seems to have merit - the listing "in the 15th year of the reign" should be enough to provide historical evidence to any one living in the first two centuries (the target audience of the Gospel) - but adding all that information sets up the comparison, and hence the irony.

Thanks for the post George!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: