OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:44:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCA and the Non-Chalcedonians?  (Read 2087 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: May 24, 2003, 04:23:00 PM »

Nevermind
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 06:38:14 PM by Paradosis » Logged
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 10:38:54 PM »

Christ is Risen!  <- That is an official position.

To inquire about the "official" position of the OCA all you need to do is send an e-mail to info@oca.org and Fr. John Matusiak (Communications Director?) of the OCA will answer you.  

"Unofficial" often means opinions or descriptions of isolated events and sounds like gossip to me.  That can result in libel or slander.  

Since the Russian Church has not traditionally lived in close proximity to pre-Chalcedonians I think that the relationship will be different than that of the Antiochians who live as neighbors in many places.  

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 11:08:23 PM »

Christ is Risen!  <- That is an official position.

Um, ok. Very good. Would you like me to respond with the proper response, or am I suppose to be offended because of your sarcasm?  Cool (I'm not, btw  Grin )

"Unofficial" means: "the bishop isn't going to say this in public because it's a sensitive matter and doesn't want to hurt relations with other jurisdictions, especially since the OCA can't afford to offend the EP due to the issue of recognizing their autocephalous status, but I know from things that he's said in the past that our bishop feels this way about the monophysites..."

Dear Paradosis,

When I write "Christ is Risen!" as I do either spelled out or in short-hand in my posts on this board there is no sarcasm.  If there were I would not be spending my time the way I do.  Orthodox Christians greet each other this way for 40 days, at least that is the tradition that has been handed on to me.  Quite far from sarcasm it is the part of the life of the church. At least in the Orthodox Chuch I know.  The proper response is "Indeed, He is Risen!" not an accusation of sarcasm.

Since the above quote (after "unofficial") is just that a quote perhaps you can give its attribution. Who said it?  

Tony

I'll see you when yo
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 02:59:06 PM »

That can result in libel or slander.

Um, with me, no, no it can't. I hold no malice against any OCA bishop, and I have no reason to use false information in an attempt to defame a bishop.

CHRIST IS RISEN!

Just out of curiosity, Paradosis-Justin, but why are you interested in only what some OCA hierarch might have said or intimated vis-a-vis the Non-Chalcedonians?  What about the Serbs, the Bulgarians, the Romanians, the Georgians, the MP, the ROCOR, etc.?  Aren't you interested in what their hierarchs might have said or intimated on this topic?  Or am I missing your point?  Embarrassed

Hypo-Ortho
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 03:57:07 PM »

Then I can tell you that I've heard nothing on this issue from the OCA, Justin.  The Holy Synod has not addressed the issue, and AFAIK, it is not on the agenda for the next meeting of the Lesser Synod either.  I have not heard any OCA bishop publicly (or privately) speak on the topic of the EO's/OO's to date (or what the GO Patriarchate of Antioch has decided).  Until I hear otherwise, I must assume that the OCA Holy Synod's position is exactly the same as that of the JP, the ROCOR, etc.  I would not hesitate to attend Vespers in that OCA church close to you.  I hope this helps.

Hypo-Ortho
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 04:13:37 PM »

Paradosis, why don't you explain the situation to your ROCOR priest and ask for his blessing?  I am sure he is more interested in you attending church than sitting at home.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 04:27:08 PM »

Paradosis, why don't you explain the situation to your ROCOR priest and ask for his blessing?  I am sure he is more interested in you attending church than sitting at home.

Good point, sinjin.  My ROCOR godson, a tonsured reader in that jurisdiction, has a daughter who attends college in Maine, and the nearest Orthodox church when he travels to Maine (quite frequently sometimes) is one in the Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church (a SCOBA-member jurisdiction) under Metropolitan Joseph (Bulgarian Patriarchate).  He requests and receives a blessing from his ROCOR priest to attend all services at this Bulgarian church when he is traveling in Maine.

Hypo-Ortho
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 04:37:13 PM »

I took it as sarcasm because what you said is common knowledge. It would be like opening a post by saying "hello," and then saying "<-- we say hello when we greet people". Most people don't begin every post on a message board with "Christ is risen" (e.g., you didn't begin your last post with it), so to say it, and then to go further and say that it is an "official position," makes me think either 1) You don't have enough knowledge of other groups to know how universal the greeting is; 2) you were joking; or 3) you were being sarcastic. Based on the rest of your post and what I know about you, I figured it was most likely 3. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Paradosis,

Christ is Risen!

I begin my posts to an individual or on a thread to a group with the Paschal greeting once a day, I do not repeat it again and again the same day.  If you choose to not do that so be it.

If you are of the opinion that the personal opinion of one bishop constitutes the unofficial postion of an entire church I think you are wrong.

Tony

I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 04:40:13 PM »

Based on the rest of your post and what I know about you, I figured it was most likely 3. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Paradosis,

What is it that you know about me?

Tony

I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2003, 04:43:08 PM »

That can result in libel or slander.

Um, with me, no, no it can't. I hold no malice against any OCA bishop, and I have no reason to use false information in an attempt to defame a bishop.

Paradosis,

My point on this should be obvious.  The official position can be had easily.  The unofficial position is speculation unless there is something in writing.  I find offensive and un-Christian what happens on some boards where accusations that are unsubstantiated are levelled against various entities.  I said that at least one month ago or more on another thread.  It is not about you and the OCA, it is about our Christian Faith requiring us to be as honest as possible.  

Tony

I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: