OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 08:17:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barbarians  (Read 1909 times) Average Rating: 0
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« on: September 15, 2007, 11:38:37 AM »

Anyone catch the History International Series Barbarians this week?
Vandals, Saxons, Franks...oh, my!

I thought it excellent and well worth missing my usual TV fare of Top Chef re-runs.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 01:30:11 PM »

Sounds very interesting.  History Channel right?  If so, there's a good chance it'll be on again soon.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »

Sounds very interesting.  History Channel right?  If so, there's a good chance it'll be on again soon.

Er..no, History International  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 08:07:37 PM »

It was on the History Channel at 6am, too. I caught the Saxons and Franks. They tend to repeat it often, so you should see it on soon.

I really wish they would just invest in Rome: Total War and make their own simulated battles instead of the cheesy "army" of 6 men.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:33:45 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 08:32:13 PM »

I was on the History Channel at 6am, too. I caught the Saxons and Franks. They tend to repeat it often, so you should see it on soon.

I really wish they would just invest in Rome: Total War and make their own simulated battles instead of the cheesy "army" of 6 men.

There's one show out there on the history channel that does just that.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »

Yeah, I remember that. They took it off and moved it to History International, though.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 08:36:18 PM »

Yeah, I remember that. They took it off and moved it to History International, though.

Ah, ok, I don't have THC right now so I'm not current on it. Though I do think that their programming has gone down hill over the past 7 or 8 years.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 08:50:43 PM »

Though I do think that their programming has gone down hill over the past 7 or 8 years.

Agreed.  Except for Dogfights - that is a cool show.  But in general National Geographic and the Discovery Times channel are much better, I think.   
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 09:10:53 PM »

It's embarrassing to show that stuff to students.  They always want videos and the ones that are available have such poor and terrible recreations that I just want to run and hide and never come out.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:29:03 PM »

Wasn't there a show about the Barbarians on a couple years ago? I vaguely remember it---maybe it was about just the Huns.

Speaking of historical documentaries, has anyone here seen John Romer's 1997 four-parter, Byzantium: the Lost Empire? It thought it was quite good---in fact, I have the DVD.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 12:35:41 PM »

Ever since I saw "The Most Evil Men in History" Series, and somehow started replaying "Ivan the Terrible" And "Vlad Tepes" over and over (not inacurate, but very one sided)  I kinda question whatever come off the H-channel.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 01:00:06 PM »

Ever since I saw "The Most Evil Men in History" Series, and somehow started replaying "Ivan the Terrible" And "Vlad Tepes" over and over (not inacurate, but very one sided)  I kinda question whatever come off the H-channel.

Well, it is, above all else, entertainment. The whole history of this or that psychic phenomena turned me off to the history channel for quite a while, they were playing way too much of that stuff for a year or so there.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 05:03:27 AM »

Despite my enjoyment of the Barbarians series, History Channels airing of a new episode of Underground Cities last night was so full of Turkish historical revisionist propaganda and outright lies that I'm still fuming (the Ottomans built Ayia Sophia? - yeah right).
I suspect the conjecture here about their bias is real.

As soon as they publish the episode on the website I will offer 'feedback'.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:03:57 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: