OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:56:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Italian Means of Combating Islam  (Read 3312 times) Average Rating: 0
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« on: September 13, 2007, 12:13:19 PM »

The article is in Italian and I don't quite have the time to translate it, so I will just mention the big things.

CALDEROLI, PROPOSTA ANTI-ISLAM: UN MAIALE-DAY
 ROMA - Nuova proposta choc anti-islam del leghista, vicepresidente del Senato, Roberto Calderoli. Mettera' il suo maiale a disposizione del comitato contro la costruzione della moschea di Bologna, per ripetere quello che aveva fatto a Lodi. Lanciando anche la proposta di un 'Maiale-day' per evitare la costruzione delle moschee.

"A fronte dell'inversione di rotta dell'amministrazione comunale bolognese - ha detto Calderoli - che ha dato il via libera alla realizzazione di una nuova grande moschea, metto personalmente fin da subito a disposizione del comitato contro la moschea sia me stesso che il mio maiale per una passeggiata sul terreno dove si vorrebbe costruire la moschea, esattamente come a suo tempo feci in quel di Lodi, dove la fatidica moschea non è mai stata realizzata in quanto il terreno, dopo la passeggiata del mio maiale, fu considerato infetto e pertanto non più utilizzabile. E' visto che dalle nostre parti c'é ne piena l'aria potremo organizzare in futuro il maiale-day, ovvero concorsi e mostre per i maiali da passeggiata più belli da tenersi nei luoghi dove chiunque pensi di edificare non un centro di culto ma il potenziale centro di raccolta di una cellula terroristica".

Calderoli aderisce inoltre allo sciopero della pasta, ma annuncia che mangerà maiale per far dispetto agli islamici che seguono il Ramadam. "Per aderire alla proteste dei consumatori contro i rincari di pasta, pane e dei generi alimentari di prima necessità, per dare il mio contributo al Ramadan e per far innervosire chi non amo - afferma il coordinatore della Lega - oggi mi sono astenuto e mi asterrò dal consumo di pasta e pane, aderendo così alla protesta dei consumatori, ma così facendo rischiando involontariamente di adeguarmi anche al digiuno previsto dal Ramadan. Pertanto, non provando grosse simpatie per chi considera il maiale come proibito, e a scanso di equivoci, in alternativa a pasta e pane mi mangerò un bel piatto di costine di maiale, alla faccia di Prodi che ha trasformato pasta e pane in gioielli e di Bin Laden e del suo terrorismo". 

Source

Lega Nord Senator, Roberto Calderoli, is proposing pig days as a means combating Islam and making Muslims feel unwelcomed in Italy.  The promotion of pigs and pork products during Ramadan, including the public eating of these products is being proposed.  On top of that, to make sure new mosques cannot be built in Italy, as was down in the town of Lodi, he is encouraging that people walk pigs over the land zoned for mosques, since the land is then seen as 'infected' and the mosque cannot be built on the land.  He said by eating pork, you will not only be combating Prodi's new pasta tax, but Islamic terrorism as well.

It is probably one of the more interesting proposals I have heard and though I doubt much will come of it, I thought I would share. 

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »

The best way to stop Islamic expansion in Italy would be if Italians would stop having only one kid on average and thus have a sustainable population. This is the case all over Europe; people complain about those bad ol' Muslims (yeah they may be but that's not the point) while not doing anything proactive to stop the cause of why the Muslims are coming (i.e. to fill an economic void left by there not being a high enough birthrate in Europe).

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 12:38:34 PM »

The best way to stop Islamic expansion in Italy would be if Italians would stop having only one kid on average and thus have a sustainable population. This is the case all over Europe; people complain about those bad ol' Muslims (yeah they may be but that's not the point) while not doing anything proactive to stop the cause of why the Muslims are coming (i.e. to fill an economic void left by there not being a high enough birthrate in Europe).

So we surrender? Cave in to the demands of the mohammedan? I have a better idea, why not force them out at the point of a bayonet?

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »

So we surrender? Cave in to the demands of the mohammedan? I have a better idea, why not force them out at the point of a bayonet?

Having a stable population is not surrender; it is good for us as well. You can chase them out by bayonnet but the fundamental economic problem that created the economic vacuum is still there and resourceful people will be back to fill that void eventually. As the Balkans demonstrate, security is often more an economic issue than a military one.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »

This is a brilliant way to radicalize Muslim immigrants.  Probably enough so that they will join terrorist and other radical groups in higher numbers. 

Maybe the US should handle its problem of Mexican immigration by putting depictions of the memorable piss Christ in Hispanic neighborhoods.  And of course we should distribute Jack Chick tracts about Marian worship to them as well. 
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 01:16:46 PM »

Good call - it's a good start.  Greater emphasis on religious education by the Church would be good, that way the people recognize what they're really dealing with: better knowledge of Christianity, and better knowledge of the enemy of Christianity.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »

Maybe this is a serious matter. It seems so funny.

Serioulsy though...this plan woukd fail in Ethiopia since to find a pig not to mention a pig eater is quite difficult.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 01:30:18 PM »

Good call - it's a good start.  Greater emphasis on religious education by the Church would be good, that way the people recognize what they're really dealing with: better knowledge of Christianity, and better knowledge of the enemy of Christianity.

Exactly!

Too many Italians (all that I know) have a very very limited knowledge of Christianity.

Most call themselves "non-practicing catholics".

If this is the attitude than islam and all other secularisms are going to run rampent.

I pray that God will lift the true faith of the people of Italy.

Its the only real hope.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »

I have a better idea, why not force them out at the point of a bayonet?

Because the M4 carbine is too short for effective use of the bayonet (and the collapsible buttstock is too light to effectively use that as an alternative).

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 02:15:53 PM »

Having a stable population is not surrender; it is good for us as well.

It's destroying our population and way by reverting back to a primitive culture to combat a primitive people. Sounds an awful lot like surrender, or at least appeasement, to me. Neither of constitute an effect defence.

You can chase them out by bayonnet but the fundamental economic problem that created the economic vacuum is still there and resourceful people will be back to fill that void eventually. As the Balkans demonstrate, security is often more an economic issue than a military one.

The economic problem is in the mohammedan countries, not in the west. The western economies are relatively robust and provide an economic surplus. While this economic surplus is capable of supporting a larger population, absent a population increase the resources will inherently increase the standard of living of those already in said country. We have no real use of the additional labour because of increases in modern technology, just as the million person army no longer has an advantage over the 100,000 person army, likewise the million person workforce no longer has an advantage over the 100,000 person workforce. All the influx of population does is discourage the development of automated methods of production, construction, etc. ultimately harming the economy in the long run. The one real advantage of a larger population is an increase in the number of consumers and thus an increase in demand. However, the better approach to this is to develop the economies of the countries these immigrants are coming from. Of course, there is an even better means of creating demand: innovation, the creating of demand by developing new goods to be consumed is far more efficient than waiting for the population to expand...this is the very innovation that is harmed by the influx of cheap labour.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »

Because the M4 carbine is too short for effective use of the bayonet (and the collapsible buttstock is too light to effectively use that as an alternative).

I've always been partial to the M1 Wink

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »

It's destroying our population and way by reverting back to a primitive culture to combat a primitive people. Sounds an awful lot like surrender, or at least appeasement, to me. Neither of constitute an effect defence.

Gic,

It would do you good to have some nice girl seduce you and given you a few little ones to be responsible for.  Kiss
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 02:33:34 PM »

The economic problem is in the mohammedan countries, not in the west. The western economies are relatively robust and provide an economic surplus. While this economic surplus is capable of supporting a larger population, absent a population increase the resources will inherently increase the standard of living of those already in said country. We have no real use of the additional labour because of increases in modern technology, just as the million person army no longer has an advantage over the 100,000 person army, likewise the million person workforce no longer has an advantage over the 100,000 person workforce. All the influx of population does is discourage the development of automated methods of production, construction, etc. ultimately harming the economy in the long run. The one real advantage of a larger population is an increase in the number of consumers and thus an increase in demand. However, the better approach to this is to develop the economies of the countries these immigrants are coming from. Of course, there is an even better means of creating demand: innovation, the creating of demand by developing new goods to be consumed is far more efficient than waiting for the population to expand...this is the very innovation that is harmed by the influx of cheap labour.

Oh, and btw, most of the above is a load of crap, having very little to do with economic reality.   Smiley
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 02:47:10 PM »

Gic,

It would do you good to have some nice girl seduce you and given you a few little ones to be responsible for.  Kiss

The whole seduction part sounds nice enough, but as for the rest of it, I have one word for you: contraceptives. Wink
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:47:38 PM by greekischristian » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 02:49:29 PM »

Oh, and btw, most of the above is a load of crap, having very little to do with economic reality.   Smiley

So this whole opening up China to trade thing has been little more than media rhetoric? And companies that automate factories don't actually increase their profit margins, they just do it because it looks cool?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 03:02:26 PM »

This is a brilliant way to radicalize Muslim immigrants.  Probably enough so that they will join terrorist and other radical groups in higher numbers. 

Great points, both of you. There was a time during my Muslim days, I almost became radicalized when I came across some Chick tracks and also would read how some soldiers urinated on the steps of a Mosque. This Italian fellow's attitude will only inflame Muslims. Why doesn't he visit the Muslims in his country and show them the love of Christ? I understand that he may be at his wits end, but his proposal sounds very childish. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »

The whole seduction part sounds nice enough, but as for the rest of it, I have one word for you: contraceptives. Wink

In your being seduced, you're forget all about all those silly things. Wink
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »

So this whole opening up China to trade thing has been little more than media rhetoric? And companies that automate factories don't actually increase their profit margins, they just do it because it looks cool?

Uh, no.  More your really sketchy analogies about 1m not necessarily better than 100K for both workers and military.

Economic:  some older business models may never go away despite increased efficiencies and advanced analysis capabilities (e.g. broker-client relationships in insurance and other financial services, sales jobs, customer service, manual labor, etc.)

War:  Once the air/naval battles have been won, there will always be a need for significant numbers of ground troops fight the land battles or do cleanup work.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 03:15:21 PM »

Great points, both of you. There was a time during my Muslim days, I almost became radicalized when I came across some Chick tracks and also would read how some soldiers urinated on the steps of a Mosque. This Italian fellow's attitude will only inflame Muslims. Why doesn't he visit the Muslims in his country and show them the love of Christ? I understand that he may be at his wits end, but his proposal sounds very childish. 

He has more taken the "Poke the beast until they lash out, then all Italians will be behind me" approach.  He is from a right-wing, de-evolution, populist party so he acts as many Italians think but are afraid to say.  Italians, especially in Italy, and especially the politicians, perfer to speak their mind and very bluntly.  Political correctness, thankfully, hasn't quite reached the disgusting levels it has in most of the west.  The party he is a member of held significant power in the last government, and though these public stunts might hurt a party in other nations, it will only strengthen them with the 'average' Northern Italian.  The party has a lot of interesting policies, many of which I support, but on top of that, they like to be very vocal and shocking (often mocking the lack of testicular fortitude other Italian and European political parties have).  And the visiting... well, after his support of Denmark/free speech, he is on so many hit lists I can imagine how long he would last.  That, and his various deportation policies.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:16:34 PM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 03:16:23 PM »

You're right. If you're going to do that kind of thing, you might as well kick them all out of the country. If they are staying in the country, you shouldn't radicalize them with this freedom fries-type stuff.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »

You're right. If you're going to do that kind of thing, you might as well kick them all out of the country.

Well, he has proposed that, but well, runs into issues...  Tongue

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 03:43:45 PM »

They finally got the article up in English, plus some add-ons.

Ex- minister in fresh Islam row
Calderoli calls for 'pig day' against new mosques

(ANSA) - Rome, September 13 - An opposition ex-minister who stoked international Muslim anger a year ago fired off a fresh broadside at Islam on Thursday by calling for a 'pig day' battle against mosque building on Italian soil. Northern League heavyweight Roberto Calderoli, who was reform minister under the previous, Silvio Berlusconi-led government and is now deputy Senate speaker, said pigs should be brought in to thwart plans for the construction of a major mosque in Bologna.

"I place myself and my pig at the disposal of those who are against this mosque. We will walk up and down on the land where they want to build, after which it will be considered 'infected' and no longer suitable," Calderoli said.

He said he had used the same tactic with success in another northern city, Lodi.

"In future, we should organise a 'pig day' where the best pigs will be kept in places where they are thinking of putting up buildings which are not places of worship but potential centres for harbouring terrorist cells," he said.

Calderoli also said he would deliberately eat pork on Thursday to "annoy" Muslims beginning their month-long Ramadan fast.

Welfare Minister Paolo Ferrero immediately condemned Calderoli's comments.

"I apologise on behalf of all civilised Italians to Muslims living in Italy," Ferrero said.

In February 2006, Calderoli was forced to quit as reform minister after he sported a T-shirt emblazoned with the cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad which at the time were causing a wave of international Muslim protests.

Calderoli's act was followed by violent demonstrations in Libya in which the Italian consulate in Benghazi was attacked. Some 15 people were killed after local police opened fire on a crowd trying to storm the consulate.

Calderoli's populist Northern League party has frequently caused polemics with intolerant stances against Muslims and immigrants in general.

In the wake of the September 2001 terror attacks on the US, the party demanded that mosques and Islamic centres be shut down and Italy's frontiers closed to Muslims.

More recently, a League member called for the expulsion of Muslim immigrants who could not be 'vouched for' by an Italian citizen. The party has also spearheaded campaigns to ban burkas and veils in public.

ANTI-MOSQUE BATTLE HEATS UP.

Bologna's mosque would be built on the outskirts of the city to replace an old one which is now too small for the local Muslim population.

The Northern League and other critics have fought the project from the start, calling for a referendum and organising other forms of protest such as a bid to buy the land on which the mosque is to be built.

A similiar campaign is being waged in Genoa, where local members of Berlusconi's Forza Italia party joined forces with far-right militants on Wednesday night to recite an "anti-mosque rosary".

The protesters prayed to the Virgin Mary for her "help in illuminating the minds of local councillors" in favour of the mosque.

Top Forza Italia MP Isabella Bertolini said on Thursday that "the proliferation of mosques and Koranic schools in Italy must be stopped immediately, starting with Bologna. Our land is contaminated with thousands of these dangerous spreading cancers which are centres for recruiting fanatics to be martyred in the holy war which Islam is waging against the West".

Interior Minister Giuliano Amato slammed the mosque critics, saying that their comments left him "bitter and worried".

"Nowhere else in the world does such an attitude to Muslims prevail, not even in countries which have been directly affected by fundamentalist terrorism," he said.

He blamed fear and prejudice for the phenomenon.

"This fear is typical of closed and ageing populations for whom diversity in itself is a threat... and it is combined with a cultural predisposition, opinions which have hardened into prejudices," Amato said.

The minister also issued an open letter to Muslim residents to mark the start of Ramadan in which he stressed that "Italy recognises and guarantees religious freedom and has a positive view of the role faith can play in individual growth and the development of social harmony.

"We look with respect on this month of fasting, prayer and reflection in the hope that the true spirituality expressed by Ramadan may be confirmed in sentiments of peace and solidarity and the desire for dialogue and harmony".

According to an annual survey carried out in five top Italian cities - Milan, Rome, Bologna, Palermo and Naples - fear of Muslim immigrants is on the rise.

The survey showed that 28% approved of building new mosques, compared to 49% in 2006 and 61% in 2005.

Almost 30% of respondents said they were against the centres because they viewed Islam as a dangerous religion while 24% said they fomented terrorism.

Only 28% said they favoured giving the vote to legally resident immigrants against 51% in 2006 and 63% in 2005.

A quarter of respondents admitted that they were more afraid of Muslim immigrants now than they were a year ago.

Source

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »

Uh, no.  More your really sketchy analogies about 1m not necessarily better than 100K for both workers and military.

Ah, ok.

Economic:  some older business models may never go away despite increased efficiencies and advanced analysis capabilities (e.g. broker-client relationships in insurance and other financial services, sales jobs, customer service, manual labor, etc.)

Of course, many of these jobs have been taken over by automation via the internet. I buy insurance and manage my policies online, I manage my investments online, I purchase a large number of my goods online. Of course, we will never eliminate the need for human involvement to some degree (or at least not without substantial improvements in AI), but my point was that many of the blue-collared jobs for which immigrants were traditionally sought are decreasing in importance in the western world. By all means, we can use more doctors, scientists, engineers, academics, etc. but improvements in education alone should be sufficient to advance these vital sectors.

War:  Once the air/naval battles have been won, there will always be a need for significant numbers of ground troops fight the land battles or do cleanup work.

There is still need for such, but always? In the next 10-20 years the military intends to automate supply convoys and their defences, a significant use of ground troops at this point in time...and one of the most dangerous operations in current conflicts. Atomization of armoured columns will follow soon thereafter, the military has made substantial strides in developing the AI required for such advances. We have already deployed robots that can engage in the most dangerous tasks which are operated at the squad level. The evolution of military tactics since WWII has been towards smaller and less centralized combat units, taking the genius of Napoleon to the next logical level (though often compelled to do so by enemies who have employed these tactics, mostly using the tactical doctrines developed by Mao Tse-Tung). I believe that the initial conflict in Afganistan will be a new paradigm for 21st century warfare: a small number of combat controllers, escorted by special forces, directing air operations. Allowing a few hundred men with air support (air support which, I should note, is becomming increasingly automated) to defeat an army of tens of thousands...the numbers seen there were far less proportionate than the 10:1 ratio I suggested in my last post.

We're not yet to the point where 1000 technicians in Washington can invade and occupy a reigonal power with an automated army. But in 100 years, we may very well be.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 04:42:25 PM »

In your being seduced, you're forget all about all those silly things. Wink

Which is why one should keep a condom at hand. A moment of pleasure is not worth 18 years of financial ruin. Wink

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 04:48:26 PM »

An Orthodox Christian board.

Free-For-All or not, how embarrassing...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 04:49:24 PM »

Which is why one should keep a condom at hand. A moment of pleasure is not worth 18 years of financial ruin. Wink
Can you two *please* stay on the OP?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »

Well, as my old sig line said:

'Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often' -- Mae West

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 05:01:19 PM »

You are tempting me to lock a decent topic.

I'm not shocked, but tend to a more visceral  response.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »

An Orthodox Christian board.

Free-For-All or not, how embarrassing...

By their fruits...
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »

You are tempting me to lock a decent topic.

I'm not shocked, but tend to a more visceral  response.
I'm not allowed to respond to the below?

Ah, ok.

Of course, many of these jobs have been taken over by automation via the internet. I buy insurance and manage my policies online, I manage my investments online, I purchase a large number of my goods online. Of course, we will never eliminate the need for human involvement to some degree (or at least not without substantial improvements in AI), but my point was that many of the blue-collared jobs for which immigrants were traditionally sought are decreasing in importance in the western world. By all means, we can use more doctors, scientists, engineers, academics, etc. but improvements in education alone should be sufficient to advance these vital sectors.

There is still need for such, but always? In the next 10-20 years the military intends to automate supply convoys and their defences, a significant use of ground troops at this point in time...and one of the most dangerous operations in current conflicts. Atomization of armoured columns will follow soon thereafter, the military has made substantial strides in developing the AI required for such advances. We have already deployed robots that can engage in the most dangerous tasks which are operated at the squad level. The evolution of military tactics since WWII has been towards smaller and less centralized combat units, taking the genius of Napoleon to the next logical level (though often compelled to do so by enemies who have employed these tactics, mostly using the tactical doctrines developed by Mao Tse-Tung). I believe that the initial conflict in Afganistan will be a new paradigm for 21st century warfare: a small number of combat controllers, escorted by special forces, directing air operations. Allowing a few hundred men with air support (air support which, I should note, is becomming increasingly automated) to defeat an army of tens of thousands...the numbers seen there were far less proportionate than the 10:1 ratio I suggested in my last post.

We're not yet to the point where 1000 technicians in Washington can invade and occupy a reigonal power with an automated army. But in 100 years, we may very well be.

10-20 years is not NOW, but MUCH later.  There is immediate need now.

Just because you may purchase all your insurance online and manage your investments doesn't mean the vast majority of people do.  Online insurance purchases only work well for standard personal insurance products such as auto, health, basic life and some others and even then most people prefer to work with agents as the products are complicated enough to need a human to answer questions and provide advice.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 06:29:12 PM »

^^There could be some really great dialogue here, but you two are hell-bent on scratching Αριστοκλής's itchy trigger finger.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »

10-20 years is not NOW, but MUCH later.  There is immediate need now.

Which means that the technology essentially exists today, but it takes time to implement it; to allow the work force to be overrun with cheap labour (this isn't so much an issue in the military where there are other political motivations) removes incentive to innovate. You're going to work much harder to build a machine to replace a person working for $30 an hour than you would replacing a person working for $8 an hour.

Just because you may purchase all your insurance online and manage your investments doesn't mean the vast majority of people do.  Online insurance purchases only work well for standard personal insurance products such as auto, health, basic life and some others and even then most people prefer to work with agents as the products are complicated enough to need a human to answer questions and provide advice.

I think that this is more of a generational gap, older generations are less comfortable with technology and prefer to deal with an actual person. Personally, and I know many others like me, prefer not to have to deal with a person and love the convenience and flexability of online insurance/investments/sales/etc...in any case, online services have substantially cut into traditional service markets.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 06:42:58 PM »

^^There could be some really great dialogue here, but you two are hell-bent on scratching Αριστοκλής's itchy trigger finger.

Once I sense I'm offending someone, I have a hard time letting up...I get too much enjoyment out of it. Personality flaw I guess. Wink Grin

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 06:43:59 PM »

A most astute observation (scratch, scratch...)

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 07:42:52 PM »

Once I sense I'm offending someone, I have a hard time letting up...I get too much enjoyment out of it. Personality flaw I guess. Wink Grin

Sorry to disappoint you that I'm not actually offended.  I can't help it if you're just wrong in this case.  Tongue
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 07:56:48 PM »

I think that this is more of a generational gap, older generations are less comfortable with technology and prefer to deal with an actual person. Personally, and I know many others like me, prefer not to have to deal with a person and love the convenience and flexability of online insurance/investments/sales/etc...in any case, online services have substantially cut into traditional service markets.

Only partly.  I looked at a company that says it will now only accept job applications online.  I'm sure there are many more like that.  That is a conceivable approach to a certain process.  Insurance is rather different.

When you you can give me a nice trend chart to support your claim for insurance for % of industry written premium by year for Personal Auto of those have who will NOT use an agent, then maybe I'll start to listen.  If you can, I suspect it is plateuing out.
Tags: Italy  Islam  Pigs 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: