OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:58:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Someone Have to Accept the Pope Is Infallibe?  (Read 4829 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2007, 11:30:40 PM »

exactly PJ if the church was reconciled then any Orthodox would be crazy to not want the bishop of Rome to be first among equals back to his right ful position, not as "head of the church".

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2007, 12:33:02 AM »

This thread has made me think about if the pope is still the first among equals.  I have to say "yes", but with this qualification.

If the President of the United States has goes into coma, the Vice President takes over his responsibilities.  However, the President doesn't cease being the Chief Executive because the VP is only the "acting" President.  If the President wakes, he resumes his responsibilities.

In a similar way, the pope is first among equals.  The Patriarch of Constantinople has assumed his responsibilities while the Catholic Church is in schism.  If the pope returns to the fold, he'll resume his responsibilities.  I hope that explanation is clear and it doesn't offend any Greeks. Smiley

So the Athonites are right after all when they accuse the EP of going papal Smiley
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2007, 02:25:06 AM »

So the Athonites are right after all when they accuse the EP of going papal Smiley
And what exactly is that quip supposed to mean?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2007, 03:08:51 AM »

Oddly, this is exactly correct...'papal' in the original sense.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
St. Christopher

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2007, 11:43:41 AM »

Quote from: lubeltri
No, I wasn't trying to imply anything about Patriarch Bartholomew.  I'm talking about the position, not the person.
Tags: Pope 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: