OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 05:20:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergency Baptism  (Read 1835 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: September 09, 2007, 08:34:33 PM »

How would one go about performing an emergency baptism?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »

I believe the proceedure is to find a suitable amount of water and say, the servant of God (name) is baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit immersing if possible, pouring if necessary.

You then call a priest if the child (adult?) survives and he will determine what to do. Russians normally will simply chrismate the child if you can present evidence that you followed the Trinitarian formula and used water; Greeks will often have the child baptized by a priest if it survives "just in case" (I believe this comes from St Nikodemos's commentary in the Rudder).

There is also a service in the book of Needs for a priestly baptism to be done in emergencies; it is severely truncated.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 10:36:58 PM »

Dear Anastasios,

I believe the OO Church also has emergency procedures for baptism (at least they're alluded to in this brief Syrian Orthodox catechism I have), but I wonder whether they're ultimately superfluous? I mean, if the circumstance is truly one of emergency, surely the Just and Merciful Lord will not turn away the potential "baptisee" in the event they passed away before they got the chance to be baptised. I can't imagine the potential "baptisee" reaching the pearly gates so to speak, only to be turned back with the response: "Oh you were so so close...But not close enough!"

According to an authoritative Syrian Orthodox Father of the 13th century, St Gregorios Bar Hebraeus, those whose circumstances warranted baptism, but who, for whatever reason, did not get the chance to be baptised, will be baptised in "Fire" at the Final Judgment. I wonder if the EO have any similar teaching of baptism by the divine "fire"?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:52:34 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 11:12:36 PM »

I have also been told there is something called an "air baptism" of an infant near death, One holds the child in the air and moves the body as if crossing in the air before the person doing the baptism using the authorized Trinitarian formula I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit (3 Times).  I have heard of this being done in an ambulance after an unexpected birth, the child died soon after the Baptism. A Greek priest who told me of this stated that if the baby survives that a water baptism follows, but if not the child is deemed baptized and given the usual  funeral for an Orthodox Child.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 12:14:08 AM »

using the authorized Trinitarian formula I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit (3 Times). 
In the case of Eastern Orthodox "aero-baptism", the formula is:
"The Servant of God, N, is baptised in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:15:11 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »

What about fetuses that were not able to survive after birth or in the womb of an Orthodox parent?  Has there been some sort of "funerary" prayer for them?

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:27:59 AM »

When our Grandson died in utereo last year, the priest performed an orthodox funeral for children. It was a great comfort to my daughter and her husband. He has offered memorial services as well. Due to the distance from the church and the smallness of the child, father did all the services at the shelter in the cemetary and at the graveside.

In Christ Thomas

PS. George , oops Kiss I knew that, sorry I wasn't clearer in the formula. thanks for correcting it. Thomas

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:28:54 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 01:10:09 AM »

When our Grandson died in utereo last year, the priest performed an orthodox funeral for children. It was a great comfort to my daughter and her husband. He has offered memorial services as well. Due to the distance from the church and the smallness of the child, father did all the services at the shelter in the cemetary and at the graveside.
I've also been a participant in such Orthodox funerals for the stillborn and miscarried.  In each of the two cases I've seen, the bereaved parents were encouraged to even give their dead child a name so they could bury their child by name.

Regarding emergency baptisms and the Orthodox funeral for the adolescent or adult: I believe that even the catechumen rates an Orthodox burial (for his expressed commitment to pursue baptism?).
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »

That is correct, if a catechumen dies he is buried as an Orthodox Christian , I believe they call that "The Baptism of Desire'.  In the History there have been Moslem converts to the Church who were killed for their Testimony that "Great is the God of the Chistians, I believe He is truely God" before they were able to be baptized, I believe that St Ahmet is one of those.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 08:34:18 AM »

That is correct, if a catechumen dies he is buried as an Orthodox Christian , I believe they call that "The Baptism of Desire'.  In the History there have been Moslem converts to the Church who were killed for their Testimony that "Great is the God of the Chistians, I believe He is truely God" before they were able to be baptized, I believe that St Ahmet is one of those.

Thomas

I think our Church has considered these martyrdom cases the "baptism by blood" or "baptism by dying with the Lord" "literally."

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »

There is a mention in the Coptic Synaxarium (somebody might be able to find it but I haven't as yet) of a lady who was in a boat and thought her babies may die in the storm and so this lady baptised them in the ocean. Reaching the shore and taking them to the Church for baptism, the water froze for the first child. The priest took the child back to the mother and went to check on the water again. The priest then took the second and the same thing happened. In the end it was decided that God acknowledged this lady's baptism of her children.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: