OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 04:26:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Equal-to-the-Bible status  (Read 6072 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 11:58:18 PM »

You are talking about a hierarchy of authority- Period.
Thank you for picking that up.  That is exactly what I'm trying to assert, that there is a hierarchy of authority within Holy Tradition.

Councils do not "create" Tradition, they discern it.
Yet the very act of discerning Tradition often creates Tradition.  We believe in the dogma of the Holy Trinity because this is present in the public doctrine of Christ and the Apostles, but our belief in the dogma is also based on the authority of the Council of Nicea, is it not?

Councils are only "part of Tradition" insofar as the "Concilliarity" or "Synodical Nature" of the Church is a Tradition; but a Council itself is not a "Tradition", it merely seeks to discern what is Tradition. Such decrees of what is Tradition are clearly spelled out in the Oecumenical Councils. Other decrees of Councils are not Tradition, but merely Canons guiding the Church. These two are easily (and often) confused. For example, receiving Holy Communion via a Spoon is actually not a Holy Tradition. It's a custom which has simply come to be universally practised, and in fact, the only Canon of an Oecumenical Council which does mention the method of reception of Holy Communion decrees that we should receive it in the hand. So if all the decrees of Oecumenical and Local Councils were "Traditions", then we should receive Communion in the hand, monks should have their heads shaved, and your Bishop should arrive at your Parish Church on a white donkey.
ISTM that you just gave a very good distinction between dogmas and canons.  Both are equally part of Tradition, but only the former are eternally authoritative and binding on the faithful.  The latter are merely attempts to apply the truths of the former to specific circumstances the Church faces in place and time, but this does not make the latter any less part of Tradition.

Whenever we read the term "Holy Tradition", we should always interpret it as "What has been given to us by the Apostles"- whether in Scripture, "apocrypha", oral history, etc. Just because something is not in the Canon of Scripture does not mean it was not handed down to us by the Apostles.
Agreed.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 12:55:34 AM »

This is way late in the discussion and it is way late tonight but I recently read Catholic writer, Scott Hahn's Marriage of the Lamb in which he makes a strong case that the book of Revelation basically describes the divine liturgy - in heaven and on earth (rather than raptures and all this "left behind" literature -although I hate to term that stuff literature. Anyway there is not much in Dr. Hahn's book that would be disagreeable or harmful to an Orthodox Christian). If he is correct, it would be sort of redundant to quote from the Apocaplyse when it is describing the liturgy. It would sort of be like quoting oneself!

Just another way to look at the absence of quoting the Revelation of St. John.

Although Oz is absolutely correct regarding its late acceptance.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 07:36:32 AM »

Agreed.
I don't think you do agree with me Peter.
What I said was that: "Tradition" = "What has been given to us by the Apostles".
If you agree with this, you cannot possibly say in the same post that:
Yet the very act of discerning Tradition often creates Tradition.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2007, 11:56:27 PM »

I don't think you do agree with me Peter.
What I said was that: "Tradition" = "What has been given to us by the Apostles".
If you agree with this, you cannot possibly say in the same post that:
Yeah, upon further review, my "agreement" does sound quite illogical within the context of what I wrote earlier.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: