OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 05:59:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ecumenical Council, Anyone??  (Read 1414 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« on: September 08, 2007, 01:14:57 AM »

Ok, I'm not really posting this for feedback....mainly because for the time being it is a pipe dream.

I am a mere layperson. My baptism was less than a month ago. No degrees or anything like that. But I like to assume (right or wrong) I am fairly intelligent. I love the Church dearly. Not for a second do I doubt the wisdom of the hierarchs. Nevertheless....

I am left wondering why it has been centuries since the last "Ecumenical" Council. How much in the world has changed in that time, how many heresies born, how schisms, etc. etc.

At the very least I think there should be a conference of all the hierarchs in communion with the EP once and awhile. Then again, maybe that is happening behind closed doors.

I don't know. Maybe the "solutions" that seem so easy to find for the issues that face us are in reality much harder than they seem.

I just don't get it. We claim to be the one true church of Christ, visibly united, visibly catholic. I read an e-book on the eternal status of heterodox Christians.....almost 100 pages yet in the end, the answer was still unclear. I understand the concept of the omnipotent, omniscient God granting salvation to whomever He Wills, yet I am left wondering then, what really is the point. If Orthodox ecclesiology and Orthodox christology are intertwined.....then a person with unorthodox ecclesiology also has unorthodox Christology. If they believe in a different Christ and deny the Bridegroom of Christ.....where does that leave them and us. It just seems have the time we tell them that they are outside of the Church, the other half we tell them we don't even know if we have salvation ourselves, theirs is still a possibility.

Am I making sense??

Anyhow, my grand idea was to gather leaders from all the churches.....Protestant, Anglican, Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Eastern Catholic, Nestorian.....the whole shebang. Sit them down and lay down the law. This is what the Councils decided, the is how Holy Tradition interprets Scripture, this how we worship........and if they disagree on any of that then they are outside of the Church, they deny Christ, and may the Lord have mercy on all of our souls. The Pope can make news, why can't we?? And at the very least, can we at least get together amongst and lay down a panOrthodox gameplan. 200 million of us....why is that a pipe dream??

Let's get beyond "letters written for the sake of friendship."

In Christ
Ivan

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:50:06 AM »

But would such a council be received as authoritative by the faithful?  Many attempts to call a council and enforce its dictates from on high were soundly rejected by the faithful; for instance, the False Union of Florence.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 02:00:07 AM »

What specific trigger, justification, would be used for this council? Is there a doctrinal crisis to be addressed by  the Church?
The ecumenical councils were not called as get-togethers. And canonically, all local churches do meet annually themselves.
The EP has been formulating since the 1970s an agenda for the next general council. Last time I read it, little if anything rose (to me) as an issue demanding a council to begin with. Of course, with a controlled agenda some issues may have been left off which deserve attention.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 02:17:55 AM »

Well, I don't suppose there is any way to force the faithful to accept such a council. But I would that if enough progress was shown on such a large scale (I would imagine/hope the timeline and scope of ecclesiastical involvement would be similar to Vatican II) then they would accept it.

As to triggers, I suppose anything that has really been discussed here ever since I started inquiring. Yes, I realize some things will never change. I know every jurisdiction has their set of hurdles to jump. the OCA scandals, and the Russian union, and the Eastern Catholics, and the Lutherans (some Lutherans claim for instance that there is nothing prevented us from entering into communion tomorrow, we agree on everything apparently), and the Chalcedonians, and the Assyrians.....and the list goes on and on.

On my home front, with the Ukies, we still need hierarchical candidates, and a unified Church back home etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised if a few years down the road we are discussing fallind under the UOCoUSA as just another diocese.

Don't worry I'm just venting frustration, I am a new convert, full of zeal I'm told.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 02:34:05 AM »

Is OK.
Keep that zeal and be a spark plug in your parish with it  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 03:36:06 AM »

I read an e-book on the eternal status of heterodox Christians.....almost 100 pages yet in the end, the answer was still unclear.

The author of that e-book is usually unclear in what he says. I prefer his obscurity to his falsehoods though.  Wink

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »

Is OK.
Keep that zeal and be a spark plug in your parish with it  Smiley

I'm trying! Haha. I start choir parctice as soon as I get my license, and Andy has made comments about me reading the Epistle on Sunday *petrified look*.

My efforts to start an OCF chapter have thus far been unsuccessful.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:26:02 AM »

The author of that e-book is usually unclear in what he says. I prefer his obscurity to his falsehoods though.  Wink

I don't think it's just him. My head is still spinning from "Orthodox Christian Perspectives on Vocation." Though I realize said author has been criticized before.

observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »

In the Baptismal service we are called to be rational sheep... however there is a trend to ignore this and become rational foxes instead, sifting and analyzing the faith of our fathers and brethren.  I keep hearing the argument that 'technically' we can do this or that or that 'logicially' our forefathers were wrong in certain matters.  I am not agin discussion but I wish new members and young zealots would seek to acquire the  Spirit of Orthodoxy rather than the letter. 

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: