OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 12:52:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Checking out the Faith and Values Tier.....  (Read 5686 times) Average Rating: 0
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: September 06, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »

When I visited my parents over the weekend, I saw that my dad has been watching a lot of religious channels on DirectTV.  When I got home, I discovered that we could get the new Faith and Values Tier on Charter Cable.  I think it's just a freebie preview, because we never asked for it.  Anyway, I decided to check out some of the channels my dad has been watching.

Shocked

On some channels, I found nothing to worry about.  But then I found a channel which is run by a name-it-and-claim-it group.  LeRoy Thompson was on there saying God wants you to be rich, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.  I checked his website; he was, indeed, speaking of material wealth.  Supposedly it's so we can "help spread the Gospel."  My dad has been watching Benny Hinn and Pat Robertson, of the name-it-and-claim-it and prosperity crowd, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's also watching this channel.

Then on another channel, I found Kirk Cameron of "Growing Pains" and some other guy talking.  I came across them recently on another program; they had challenged atheists to come to a debate over religion.    All they did was make fun.  Apparently they think that atheists can be ridiculed into the church.

Then I go to EWTN.  Here I can find a priest with a soothing voice, quietly teaching from the Pope's encyclicals.  Now I may not be Catholic, but even though I sometimes disagree, I find a lot of good, Orthodox teaching on this program.  I feel the presence of the Spirit from many of the programs on EWTN.  EWTN is also available on Expanded Basic.  I think we can save the $5 and not add the Faith and Values Tier when our preview runs out.   Tongue

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:54:37 AM »

I see EWTN here in Australia on Briz31 (community channel, like PBS but much smaller).

Some great shows thereon I agree although sometimes you can see the RC influence giving a plain bias.

Never watch those other shows you're talking about although a couple of times I've been with somebody when he happened to flick past them and we have a laugh at those poor souls for teaching such silly nonsense and actually believing what they say!

Pray that the Lord may have mercy upon us please.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:29:29 PM »

In the spirit of our recent discussions about the show Chacers war on everything, here's the video from their segment about evangelicals (I don't think this one's been posted yet):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=15u6fHkICxc

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:03:50 PM »

I hadn't heard about that Chacers War on Everything show.  "Make sure you're doing laundry in the Lord."  Eh?  That reminds me of a comment I saw on a board recently that anything you don't do for God's glory is a sin.  Eh?

That is one funny clip.  Cheesy

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »

Oy, the name-it-and-claim-it pushers... I'm beginning to think those who preach that just use it to justify their incredible wealth.  "You can be as rich as I am and there's no need to feel guilty or feel that you should give back to your community!  God wants you to be filthy rich!"  Blech.  I wonder how many of those people remember Luke 16?  "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will give you property of your own?"

Our cable package also comes with EWTN and I find it much more appealing.  Though I'm not RC either, there is much more truth and sensibility in their programming than in Kirk Cameron and the gang. 

Anyone here familiar with The Wittenburg Door magazine?  Great satire on televangelists in there.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: