OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 12:30:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Island / Остров  (Read 7611 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: September 02, 2007, 04:15:03 AM »

A few Russian friends have been telling me that I really needed to watch this film called Island (in Russian Остров / Ostrov).  So today I finally got around to watching it.  It was easily one the best movies I have seen.  It does a great job of conveying the themes and spirit of the Orthodox monastic life without moralizing nor the sappy feeling that a great many Christian oriented media productions have.  I also really like that Orthodoxy is finding a way to express itself very well in a modern medium such as cinematography.  If any of you get the chance to see this, I highly recommend it. 

Brief synopsis without spoilers:
A captain and sailor of a Russian barge are boarded by Nazis during WWII.  The Nazis decide they will let the sailor live if he will shoot his captain.  After doing so he is left on the barge alone.  It was rigged to explode after the Germans had left.  The sailor survives the explosion and washes up on the shore of an island monastery in the Russian North....   
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:49:43 AM »

I am looking forward to viewing this film.

The local Orthodox book shop is expecting to get some DVD's in soon!

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 09:52:29 AM »

Bootleg copies are readily available on the Web. It's a Russian film, after all!

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:47:59 PM »

'Tis a great film.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 03:03:54 PM »

Excellent film.  I enjoy it, and learn from it, everytime I see it.

For those who have seen it, do you think that Job made that cross for Anatoly, or do you think that he will carry that for the rest of his life as a Podvig?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 03:55:11 PM »

Bootleg copies are readily available on the Web. It's a Russian film, after all!

The DVD I bought of it has 10 or so other movies on it and cost a grand total of two dollars.  It does seem kind of strange to be buying a pirated Orthodox film! 
authio
Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »

We're showing this film at our OCF next week.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »

And I thought buying a bootleg/pirated dvd/cd was sinful...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Punch
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 06:38:27 PM »

So is getting up in the morning.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 06:41:16 PM »

I know that they are going to show it in select theatres in Boston within the next several weeks.  As soon as I find out where and etc. I will post it.  Or look it up yourselves! 

p.s. it is an AWESOME film...kind of hard to connect the dots at certain points, but once you do its all worth it! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 06:48:41 PM »

It has considerably more difficult to find a legitimate CD / DVD in Russia than a bootleg one.  There was this little kiosk selling Apple software in an underpass that I used almost everyday in Moscow... I could have gotten everything I'd ever dreamed of for my Mac for next to nothing...temptation is a powerful force!
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »

I would have done it.  Someone worked hard to bootleg that...might as well pay them.   Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 07:42:19 PM »

I would have done it.  Someone worked hard to bootleg that...might as well pay them.   Wink Grin

This is one of those posts that totally changes after I have talked with you on the phone. Tongue Cheesy

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 10:10:34 PM »

LMAO!!!!  Wow...very appropriate.  Thanks bro. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Seekingthetruth

Elder Philotheos Zervakos

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 10:39:05 PM »

The Movie is now available for viewing on youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvaJIwXxxOk

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »

Um...copyright infringement?

(said the teacher, and husband of librarian)

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 01:02:41 AM »

Never been to Russia, have you?  I don't think there is such a thing as intellectual property rights there.   
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 08:23:35 AM »

Ah, really? Wow...  Shocked

msmirnov

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 08:45:08 AM »

Never been to Russia, have you?  I don't think there is such a thing as intellectual property rights there.   

We have them Smiley But everybody closed eyes to them for a long time.
However things are changing.
Couple years ago the police even started to check up the media production. Several sysadmins recieved a suspended sentences for intalling pirated software during last year. It mostly happened under pressure of Microsoft.
But I think situations in Russia and in US don't begin to compare.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:56:45 AM by msmirnov » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 05:07:09 PM »

It mostly happened under pressure of Microsoft.

That figures!  It is Microsoft and Haliburton that actually control the world more than any government. 

I'm happy to not have any Microsoft products on my computer  Grin
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 09:57:06 PM »

'Tis a great film.

It is truly a film that defines the true depth of the Orthodox Soul.

A truly releasing film depicting the heart and soul of Orthodoxy.

A film that may seem foreign to western observers except for maybe the benedictines.

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 10:07:27 PM »

Saw it.  Must get a copy!! GOOD!!!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
msmirnov

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 09:42:21 AM »

That figures!  It is Microsoft and Haliburton that actually control the world more than any government. 

I argree about Microsoft. But why Haliburton? The oil is mostly controlled by OPEC, isn't it? Smiley

The film is really good, but in my opinion there are several strange scenes in this film.

First of all, why did the young girl come to father Anatoliy? If she was a communist and ateist, she had no sense to ask for blessing of abortion. If she was an Orthodox girl, she had to know that abortion is strictly prohibited and there was still no sence to ask for blessing.

I think you can hardly realize the meaning of advice "sell everything and go to France" in the Soviet time. If that poor woman miraculously goes to France after monthes and years of problems with KGB, she most probably would never get a chance to get back to Russia. I think such a heroic deed could be ordered only to very spiritual strong man, who is ready to recieve such order. Was this woman that sort of men? I'm not sure.

As well as woman with a disabled boy. She really would be fired for one day absence. It meant very big problems.

But all the above mentioned are not very critical things since God moves in a mysterious way and such things could happen. Another fact upsets me. As far as I can understand Orthodoxy, the man who comes to the starets (elder, monk) must recieve spiritual satisfaction from conversation with him. Monk has to put the Christian love and faith in his soul and to make him live in Christ with sanity, repentance and pleasure to be with God. And I think monk can't order anybody do anything since man is not a monk and not his noviciate. He can only give an advice. Father Anatoliy didn't act in a such way. It seems to me that sometimes he behaved himself like a despot. Is it a true Orthodox way?

Nevertheless this is a very important film because there are very few good Orthodox feature films in our world.

PS Why father Anatoliy never did ask admiral for forgiveness?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:55:08 AM by msmirnov » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »

I argree about Microsoft. But why Haliburton? The oil is mostly controlled by OPEC, isn't it? Smiley
I have an answer to this, but it'd have to go in the Politics forum.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
BasilCan

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »

Is this available with english subtitles?
msmirnov

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 02:37:05 PM »

Is this available with english subtitles?

Here you can download an original Russian version (1.37Gb):
http://natahaus.ifolder.ru/625138

A little Russian-English dictionary for downloading (if do not understand Russian):
Скачать файл - Download file
Пожалуйста, введите цифры указанные на картинке - Please, enter the number that you can see in the picture
Далее - Next

I also attached English subtitles to this message. After downloading it you have to change its extention to *.srt
BasilCan

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »

Thanks for the link. If you have any contacts with the movie producers, tell them to release a copy with English subtitles and they may be able to make some money here in North America.

Basil
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007, 05:08:14 PM »

Thanks for the link. If you have any contacts with the movie producers, tell them to release a copy with English subtitles and they may be able to make some money here in North America.

Basil

It already exists.  The link used to be on another forum that no longer exists.  I think I got my copy from Amazon.  Comes with English instructions of how to get the English subtitles going.  The only English names on the cover are VoxVideo, Videoline and DVD Video (I don't know it that means anything).

If you PM maqth (Reader Arsenios) maybe he can remember the link.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 09:59:59 PM »

The film is really good, but in my opinion there are several strange scenes in this film.

I definitely agree that the scenes you mentioned struck me as strange.  Still, I am very happy to see artists using a more modern and widely distributed medium to discuss Orthodoxy.  It is like Dostoevsky in way.  His depiction of Orthodoxy wasn't 100% accurate, but I do know many people who have been positively influenced by The Brothers Karamazov.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 10:37:45 AM »

First of all, why did the young girl come to father Anatoliy? If she was a communist and at[h]eist, she had no sense to ask for blessing of abortion. If she was an Orthodox girl, she had to know that abortion is strictly prohibited and there was still no sence [sense] to ask for blessing.

You are asking for consistency where there is none.  A lot of people have the idea that religion is magic, and commit the sin of presumption "God will forgive me."  My priest has been approached by those who, having divorced their spouse to pursue an affair, wanted to have that affair blessed by marriage.  "I'm a priest, not a witch doctor.  A wave of my hand isn't going to make this right," has been his reply.  Also in America, there's the saying "there's no atheists in fox holes": funny how people in desparate situations find they're quite able to jump the leap of faith.  And she came to the right place.

Note anther point: he emphasizes to her what it means to have a life of repenting for having taken a life.

I think you can hardly realize the meaning of [the] advice [OR "the meaning of the advice to] "sell everything and go to France" in [ the : OMIT] Soviet time [can just say "in the Soviet Union]. If that poor woman miraculously goes to France after monthes and years of problems with [the] KGB, she most probably would never get a chance to get back to Russia. I think such a heroic deed could be ordered only to very [a] spiritual[ly] strong man, who is ready to recieve such [an] order. Was this woman that sort of men [man]? I'm not sure.

Evidently the point, especially when he says "if father Anatoly says you can go, you will be able to go" the film is saying she was, despite her doubts.  Again, the point was the husband was dying, and she obviously was feeling something. She had to go now for the reconcilliation that God had joined. Let no man pull asunder.

Note another point: God had revealed to him that the husband was alive, but not that the captain he shot was also alive.

BTW, I can't get the cross out line out of the text.  I don't intend it to be there.

As well as woman with a disabled boy. She really would be fired for one day['s] absence. It meant very big [OR serious] problems.

The issue was that Father Anatoly had healed his body, but that was of no use if he didn't have his soul as well.  What does it profit if a man gain the whole world and loses his soul?  As we say in Egypt "he prays until it is answered."  How often we forget God as soon as He gives us what we want.

Note anther point: Father Anatoly was not killed, as the captain had thought, but saved, and used that to spend his life in repentence (note also, he never becomes a monk, saying when the Abbot tries to tonsure him "I only sought refuge from the law for my crime," although if I remember corectly, he knows by then that he didn't kill the captain).  Also note, how he reassures the captain that he won't be penalized by the party for his Faith.

But all the above mentioned are not very critical things since God moves in a mysterious way and such things could happen. Another fact upsets me. As far as I can understand Orthodoxy, the man who comes to the starets (elder, monk) must recieve spiritual satisfaction from conversation with him. Monk has to put [OMIT the] Christian love and faith in his soul and to make him live in Christ with sanity, repentance and pleasure to be with God. And I think monk can't order anybody [to] do anything since man is not a monk and not his noviciate. He can only give [OMIT an OR a piece of] advice. Father Anatoliy didn't act in a such way. It seems to me that sometimes he behaved himself like a despot. Is it a true Orthodox way?

Sometimes the best thing a spiritual father can do is make you feel uncomfortable.  Note how the Abbot reacts when Father Anatoly destroys his only comforts, boots and a blanket: "thank you, now I realize that I am not ready to meet my maker."

Ivan the terrible once saw a fool for Christ, to receive what you describe.  Instead the saint gave him a piece of raw meat (it was during Lent).  Ivan scoffed "I'm a Christian, I don't eat meat during Lent."  "No," the saint replied "you eat people instead," and then went on to warn him that if he went on to destroy the cities he was about to punish, God would punish him.  Ivan went back to Moscow and spared the rebellious cities in the Baltics.

St. Basil, eating the sausage on the cathedral steps on Great and Holy Friday, refused to go in because, unlike those attending the services, he said he wasn't "holy." That made a lot of those going in to reflect on if it was enough to give up meat when you were starving your serfs.

The Lord chastises those whom He loves.  That's very Orthodox.  The religion-is-supposed-to make-you-feel-good is why a lot of the Protestant churches don't have crosses: it's a downer.  Don't want that sacrifice part.

Nevertheless this is a very important film because there are very few good Orthodox feature films in our world.

PS Why father Anatoliy never did ask admiral for forgiveness?

I think because he feared to. Note his reaction.  Remember the reaction to the woman healed from the issue of blood: when Christ revealed that He had healed her, she was afraid.  Only His "Go in Peace" changed that.  The captain, sent by God, also said "Go in peace father."

Now, some would protest, that Anatoly spent all that repentence for nothing.  His end shows he did not see it that way.  And neither did the brother: "You asked me about Cain and Abel.  I'll tell you: because I have tried to help people like you do, but He has not regarded my sacrifices with favor, as He has yours."

As St. Seraphim says: Acquire the Spirit of Peace, and a thousand around you will be saved.  The captain at the end closes the circle in which Father Anatoly encircled a thousand saved, and he too gained peace.  VERY ORTHODOX.

BTW, I edited your English only because of what you have at the bottom of your post.  Your English is quite good (I speak American natively, if that counts).

EDIT:  Fixed the strikethrough text by removing the stray [ s ] tag.  - PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:31:57 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
msmirnov

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 08:54:25 AM »

You are asking for consistency where there is none.  A lot of people have the idea that religion is magic, and commit the sin of presumption "God will forgive me."  My priest has been approached by those who, having divorced their spouse to pursue an affair, wanted to have that affair blessed by marriage.  "I'm a priest, not a witch doctor.  A wave of my hand isn't going to make this right," has been his reply.  Also in America, there's the saying "there's no atheists in fox holes": funny how people in desparate situations find they're quite able to jump the leap of faith.  And she came to the right place.
I completely agree with you that the situation, you have described, is typical in the modern time. But in the Soviet Union people knew that religion was the opiate of the people. And it was very very strange and suspicious and even dangerous to go to the priest for a piece of advice or moreover for blessing. So I just want to say that this scene looks to me very affected.

Evidently the point, especially when he says "if father Anatoly says you can go, you will be able to go" the film is saying she was, despite her doubts.  Again, the point was the husband was dying, and she obviously was feeling something. She had to go now for the reconcilliation that God had joined. Let no man pull asunder.
I understand your point of view, but it is hard to accept it. Just realize that somebody tell you: "Sell everything and go to the Moon. There you will be able spend some hours with your dying former wife. But maybe then you'll never come back." Is it possible to do this? Yes, it is. But it is too hard. So this scene looks to me some affected too.

Sometimes the best thing a spiritual father can do is make you feel uncomfortable.  Note how the Abbot reacts when Father Anatoly destroys his only comforts, boots and a blanket: "thank you, now I realize that I am not ready to meet my maker."

Ivan the terrible once saw a fool for Christ, to receive what you describe.  Instead the saint gave him a piece of raw meat (it was during Lent).  Ivan scoffed "I'm a Christian, I don't eat meat during Lent."  "No," the saint replied "you eat people instead," and then went on to warn him that if he went on to destroy the cities he was about to punish, God would punish him.  Ivan went back to Moscow and spared the rebellious cities in the Baltics.

St. Basil, eating the sausage on the cathedral steps on Great and Holy Friday, refused to go in because, unlike those attending the services, he said he wasn't "holy." That made a lot of those going in to reflect on if it was enough to give up meat when you were starving your serfs.
Note, that in all your examples, saints just made people see their sins and warned them. They didn't order anybody to do anything.

The Lord chastises those whom He loves. That's very Orthodox. 
Sorry, I can't understand the meaning of the word "chastise" exactly. Sad
In Russian we usually use the word "наказывать" (nakazyvat') - "punish", "chastise". The root of this word "наказ" (nakaz) means "lesson". So "наказывать" means not just to punish but also to teach, to give a lesson. That's very Orthodox.

I think because he feared to. Note his reaction.  Remember the reaction to the woman healed from the issue of blood: when Christ revealed that He had healed her, she was afraid.  Only His "Go in Peace" changed that.  The captain, sent by God, also said "Go in peace father."
Why did he fear? He repented of his deed for twenty years. And when the critical moment had come he couldn't say "Forgive me". Why he couldn't if he asked for forgiveness many times in his prayers?.. I think this is the mistake of the script writer.
The woman that you mentioned had reason for the fear because women with such disease were strictly prohibited to touch anybody. What was the reason of father Anatoly?

My conclusion: the authors of the film had a good purpose to show the basic principles of the Orthodox life. But they were rather worldly people and they didn't have enough experience of the such life. That is why they made some mistakes.

BTW, I edited your English only because of what you have at the bottom of your post.  Your English is quite good (I speak American natively, if that counts).
Thank you very much! I appreciate your help!

I definitely agree that the scenes you mentioned struck me as strange.  Still, I am very happy to see artists using a more modern and widely distributed medium to discuss Orthodoxy.  It is like Dostoevsky in way.  His depiction of Orthodoxy wasn't 100% accurate, but I do know many people who have been positively influenced by The Brothers Karamazov.
Exactly!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »

Sorry, I can't understand the meaning of the word "chastise" exactly. Sad
In Russian we usually use the word "наказывать" (nakazyvat') - "punish", "chastise". The root of this word "наказ" (nakaz) means "lesson". So "наказывать" means not just to punish but also to teach, to give a lesson.

When we use that in this context, "chastise" has a warm feeling to it.  It implies a light and gentle punishment done in love in order to correct.  So I would say: thanks to my parents gentle chastisements when I was younger, I stayed out of serious trouble when I was older.  To me называть sounds like good match, but maybe Heorhij could weigh in on if it has the same feeling in both languages. 
msmirnov

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 03:12:29 AM »

When we use that in this context, "chastise" has a warm feeling to it.  It implies a light and gentle punishment done in love in order to correct.  So I would say: thanks to my parents gentle chastisements when I was younger, I stayed out of serious trouble when I was older.  To me называть sounds like good match, but maybe Heorhij could weigh in on if it has the same feeling in both languages. 

I can't say that "наказывать" has a certain warm feeling. It implies both a gentle and a strict punishment.
It seems to me that sometimes the Lord is obliged to apply a rather strict punishment to us if gentle one is ineffective. So we use "наказывать" in both cases.

We have the word "пожурить" (pojurit'). It is much gentle than "наказать", but it doesn't imply any serious punishment. We use it, for example, when somobody reprimands gently a sweet little child.

Another Russian word "покарать" (pokarat') has a very strong and even cruel feeling. We would say "Господь покарал Содом и Гоморру" (The Lord punished Sodom and Gomorrah). So when we say "Бог тебя покарает" (God will punish you), we give a very very serious warning.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 03:56:11 AM by msmirnov » Logged
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 11:39:25 PM »

Oh don't get me started on this film! The first week I had it, I watched it about 5 times. I absolutely love it! It is one of my favorite movies.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 11:39:58 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2007, 01:10:08 PM »

We set up a big screen and projector in our hall last night at church and saw it.  Great film.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »

I can't say that "наказывать" has a certain warm feeling. It implies both a gentle and a strict punishment.
It seems to me that sometimes the Lord is obliged to apply a rather strict punishment to us if gentle one is ineffective. So we use "наказывать" in both cases.

We have the word "пожурить" (pojurit'). It is much gentle than "наказать", but it doesn't imply any serious punishment. We use it, for example, when somobody reprimands gently a sweet little child.

Another Russian word "покарать" (pokarat') has a very strong and even cruel feeling. We would say "Господь покарал Содом и Гоморру" (The Lord punished Sodom and Gomorrah). So when we say "Бог тебя покарает" (God will punish you), we give a very very serious warning.

I was thinking of Кого Я люблю, тех обличаю и наказываю. Итак будь ревностен и покайся.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 10:22:16 PM »

I bought the DVD from Amazon and watched it last night.
It's one of the most powerful films I have ever seen, and it was amazing how many Orthodox Spiritual themes could be fitted in to the story: Repentance, Reconciliation, Holy Fools, Elders, Detachment (I love the burning of the Abbot's boots and the wrestling with the "demon" of his quilt!), The Jesus Prayer, Sorrowful Joy, Mourning our sins, Kenosis, etc...

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
knotquiteawake

Jurisdiction: antiochian

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 10:45:15 PM »

This film is now a part of your Catechism class at our parish.

I also "obtained" a copy to show to my evangelical parents.  There was a lot of pausing and explaining (as much as I can knowing as little as I do).  But they "got it" I think and understand a little bit more about some of the different aspects of the orthodox faith.

as a side note: this movie would be terrible if it were dubbed!  The Russian prayers and voices are really what brought this movie to life for me!
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »

I also ordered this movie from Amazon (with English subtitles  Smiley ), and watched it today.  I thought it was very good.  I must admit I didn't understand everything Father Anatoliy did, but perhaps that's part of the point.
jayjay

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »

Is there an English site the movie can be downloaded fom?? or does someone have a copy they can make me (with English subtitles)? I'll be happy to pay all costs!!! I've read reviews a few months ago and was awaiting seeing this movie!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »

My wife and I just viewed this today. Thanks Νεκτάριος and everyone else who recommended it. Easily in my top three favorite films.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »

Is there an English site the movie can be downloaded fom?? or does someone have a copy they can make me (with English subtitles)? I'll be happy to pay all costs!!! I've read reviews a few months ago and was awaiting seeing this movie!

Amazon does have an English subtitled copy for sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Ostrov-Island-version-English-subtitles/dp/B000LTTOOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1201468476&sr=1-1
drewmeister2
Elder

Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »

I recently ordered the video from Amazon as well, and it is definately a good movie!

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 03:21:53 PM »

Given all the accolades here was I hoping for something pretty good. The movie is OK at best. Heavy handed and utterly predictable. Would recommend to no one, but an OK film if you happen to catch it on a Sunday afternoon on TV or happen to see it playing as a Sunday matinée.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »

My wife and I just viewed this today. Thanks Νεκτάριος and everyone else who recommended it. Easily in my top three favorite films.

What are the other two, so I know to avoid them?  Wink

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: Ostrov 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: