OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:10:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police Hammered For Learning Ebonics  (Read 6025 times) Average Rating: 0
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« on: September 01, 2007, 12:27:24 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070831/ap_on_re_us/handbook_flap

America is a multi-lingual society. Law enforement personal are obliged to understand and communicate effectively with all citizens ( and non-citizens).

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:00:11 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070831/ap_on_re_us/handbook_flap

America is a multi-lingual society. Law enforement personal are obliged to understand and communicate effectively with all citizens ( and non-citizens).
Are you serious?
I think you'd better read the article again.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 01:39:59 PM »

Are you serious?

I think the problem in this case wasn't that the police department in question is opposed to communicating with those who primarily speak AAVE.  Instead it is a touchy issue - if someone from suburbia (regardless of race) tries to use AAVE to someone it is percieved as talking down or insulting to that person. 

It is a difficult situation since real life doesn't have subtitles:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=btPkVSUzkU4

Nor is a translator always handy:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HHdpBsTaSNI
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 01:47:54 PM »

I think the problem in this case wasn't that the police department in question is opposed to communicating with those who primarily speak AAVE.  Instead it is a touchy issue - if someone from suburbia (regardless of race) tries to use AAVE to someone it is percieved as talking down or insulting to that person. 

It is a difficult situation since real life doesn't have subtitles:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=btPkVSUzkU4

Nor is a translator always handy:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HHdpBsTaSNI
It's like the use of the N word.  Blacks living in the cities, at least in my city, call themselves that all the time.  Yet if some white guy like me were to call a black the N word, he'd likely get his block knocked off for speaking an insulting racist epithet.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:17:02 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 02:58:45 PM »

Are you serious?

A simple case of Police officers being instructed in the local dialect. No different than a Spanish-English dictionary.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »

No different than a Spanish-English dictionary.
Oh, I think there's a slight difference between this pamphlet and a spanish-english dictionary produced professionally. According to the pamphlet, one "translation" is:

Ebonic: "hoodrat"
English translation: "scummy girl"

« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:03:26 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the band   Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:02:19 PM by Orthodox Bagpiper » Logged

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 09:36:10 PM »

Oh, I think there's a slight difference between this pamphlet and a spanish-english dictionary produced professionally

Even professionally published dictionaries contain vulgar words and phrases.  The Serbian-English dictionary I use most often for class has over six pages devoted to a verb and its related words (je**** ).  Granted there are more culturally sensitive ways of going about this.  For instance the better literature in AAVE could be used as an introduction (Their Eyes Were Watching God et al.).  At least they are making an attempt to understand AAVE.  And of course the reality of police work is that the most vulgar terms are what they need to know.   
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »

And of course the reality of police work is that the most vulgar terms are what they need to know.   
Personally, I think the author of the booklet should get a raise and a promotion. Farmers learn the language of other wild animals so that they can protect their flocks, so why shouldn't the police learn the language of urban wild animals so that they can protect the rest of civilization? If you were a police officer and you encountered a young black male (or female) brandishing a weapon yelling 'Heyba dooba dobba!", I'm pretty sure you too would wanna know what the heck that meant. If you can't speak the language, you're powerless. This officer saw a deficit in system and took it upon himself to fix it. What's that old addage, "Necessity is the mother of invention"... Unfortunately he'll probably loose his job because of a bunch of cowards scared silly of a vile and racist organization calling itself the NAACP! That group has long ago outgrown it's usefullness and should be FORCED to disband and made illegal!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 11:32:04 PM »

Oh, I think there's a slight difference between this pamphlet and a spanish-english dictionary produced professionally. According to the pamphlet, one "translation" is:

Ebonic: "hoodrat"
English translation: "scummy girl"

Translation can be a tricky thing. ( See Septuagint and K.J`s. ) Perhaps more research is needed.

Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 11:33:18 PM »

Personally, I think the author of the booklet should get a raise and a promotion. Farmers learn the language of other wild animals so that they can protect their flocks, so why shouldn't the police learn the language of urban wild animals so that they can protect the rest of civilization? If you were a police officer and you encountered a young black male (or female) brandishing a weapon yelling 'Heyba dooba dobba!", I'm pretty sure you too would wanna know what the heck that meant. If you can't speak the language, you're powerless. This officer saw a deficit in system and took it upon himself to fix it. What's that old addage, "Necessity is the mother of invention"... Unfortunately he'll probably loose his job because of a bunch of cowards scared silly of a vile and racist organization calling itself the NAACP! That group has long ago outgrown it's usefullness and should be FORCED to disband and made illegal!
   Point very well taken!

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 11:45:17 PM »

a young black male (or female) brandishing a weapon yelling 'Heyba dooba dobba!",
"Ebonics" has become a proxy for African Americans, and the most racist stereotypes are being promulgated. Behind people's expressed attitudes to vernacular varieties, there are often deep-seated social and political fears and prejudices about their speakers.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 11:49:37 PM »

"Ebonics" has become a proxy for African Americans, and the most racist stereotypes are being promulgated. Behind people's expressed attitudes to vernacular varieties, there are often deep-seated social and political fears and prejudices about their speakers.
Very well said, George. Smiley
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 11:53:04 PM »

Perhaps. Does that preclude law enforements`obligation to commuicate effectively with the neighborhoods they are entrusted to protect and serve?

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 11:56:49 PM »

Behind people's expressed attitudes to vernacular varieties, there are often deep-seated social and political fears and prejudices about their speakers.

Well.. thus far only one poster has called the dialect by its proper (and even politically correct) name. 
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »

Perhaps. Does that preclude law enforements`obligation to commuicate effectively with the neighborhoods they are entrusted to protect and serve?
Absolutely not. But the way to do it is not by producing racist garbage like this pamphlet.
The expressed "concern for information" in this pamphlet reminds me of a publication the current Australian Government produced in Arabic to "assure" Arab-Australians that they are respected citizens- it was written left to right.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 12:01:08 AM »

If the language used for communication, in this case "Ebonics," also conveys underlying racist stereotypes and thereby serves (albeit unintentionally) to inflame interracial tensions, then my answer to your question is YES.  But then, maybe 'precludes' is not as good a word choice as 'supersedes'.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:33:09 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 12:32:32 AM »

Well.. thus far only one poster has called the dialect by its proper (and even politically correct) name. 
Exactly. They might as well call it "nigger".
"Ebonics" is itself a racist combination of "Ebony" and "Phonetics".
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:34:12 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 12:35:51 AM »

Exactly. They might as well call it "nigger".
Which brings us back to this post:  Reply #3
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 12:47:43 AM »

"Ebonics" has become a proxy for African Americans, 
No, it's a gutter language used by gutter people. A majority of African Americans speak English and many of them speak out against Ebonics. Like it or not, there's a difference between black people and nigras. Nigras speak ebonics. Black people speak English. But the point of the booklet is so that the police force can understand the majority of people they police. In this case, nigras. Let me illustrate my point here. Let's say someone comes over from Austrailia. If I don't speak Strine, how am I supposed to know what the flip 'Fair Dinkum' and 'Barbie' means?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 12:51:31 AM »

No, it's a gutter language used by gutter people. A majority of African Americans speak English and many of them speak out against Ebonics. Like it or not, there's a difference between black people and nigras. Nigras speak ebonics. Black people speak English. But the point of the booklet is so that the police force can understand the majority of people they police. In this case, nigras. Let me illustrate my point here. Let's say someone comes over from Austrailia. If I don't speak Strine, how am I supposed to know what the flip 'Fair Dinkum' and 'Barbie' means?

But would you say that there's a difference between merely understanding what someone else is saying and actually speaking their tongue?  I've been in the military long enough to know what virtually every cuss word means and what people mean when they use it, but that certainly doesn't mean I speak such rotten language.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 12:57:35 AM »

But would you say that there's a difference between merely understanding what someone else is saying and actually speaking their tongue?  I've been in the military long enough to know what virtually every cuss word means and what people mean when they use it, but that certainly doesn't mean I speak such rotten language.
Of course there's a difference. But the Houston police are dealing with a segment of the population that chooses not to join civilization, instead they choose to act and behave like wild animals ergo the police need to know not only what they're saying but how to speak to them.

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 01:04:55 AM »

A majority of African Americans speak English and many of them speak out against Ebonics.

Ain't never been to the South, have you? Wink

Actually, I'd gather gather the opposite.  My experience here has blacks calling people like Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell, and others "uncle Toms", and it has nothing to do with their politics, and more due to the fact that they can finish a sentence with out an explicative, the N word or a "yanowa'msayin'?"  Apparently, being black to them  means loud talking, going nuts whenever you're in a bad mood and not careing who's around to hear it, using expicatives as pronouns and adjectives more than the actual words, fighting, stealing, and overall butchery of the english language.  Are they all like that?  No.  Are all races confined to a stereo type, nope (said the Mexican).  But from what I've seen, racism is permissable as long as you're not white.  And that, my brethren, in anyone's culture, is plain wrong.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 01:18:19 AM »

Ain't never been to the South, have you? Wink
What does that have to do with anything? Just because I'm a Southerner doesn't mean I'm a racist.

and it has nothing to do with their politics, and more due to the fact that they can finish a sentence with out an explicative, the N word or a "yanowa'msayin'?"  Apparently, being black to them  means loud talking, going nuts whenever you're in a bad mood and not careing who's around to hear it, using expicatives as pronouns and adjectives more than the actual words, fighting, stealing, and overall butchery of the english language.  Are they all like that?
No, but the segment that the police often encounter are. And as you've just illustrated, in order for the police to be effective (protecting the rest of us), they need to know how to communicate with all segments of society. In this particular case, it means understanding ebonics and knowing how to speak it. 

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 01:21:52 AM »

What does that have to do with anything? Just because I'm a Southerner doesn't mean I'm a racist.

I too am a southerner.  And I wasn't saying you were one.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 01:33:49 AM »

Since a certain segment of the population doesn't want to speak English, the police have NO alternative but to learn how to speak they're language to effectively communicate. And in this particular case that language is ebonics. But just because that certain segment happens to be black does not mean that the police are racist. Maybe some are, but you can be sure that many of the blacks are just as racist. How do you expect the police to do their job if they cannot effectively communicate with a large segment of the population?

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 03:59:46 AM »

Since a certain segment of the population doesn't want to speak English, the police have NO alternative but to learn how to speak they're language to effectively communicate.
I think you mean "their language". Wink
And that's the whole point. AAVE is not another language. It is English. People who are deaf and mute sign English, they don't sign another "language". "Strine" is similarly a vernacular form of English, just as AAVE is a vernacular form of English. For anyone to call it "another language" or worse,  a "gutter language" shows (A) an ignorance of sociolinguistics, and (B) uses an ethnic criteria (language) to make a social comment about an ethnic group ("gutter language")- hence, it is racism.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 07:13:08 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 01:10:13 PM »

From a linguistic perspective Ebonics is certainly an intersting development that is worth taking a close look at; it is a very positive thing from the standpoint of the study of linguistics. Unfortunately, the communites that perpetrate it do a disservice to their children by making it more difficult for them to participate in the professional elements of the larger (and wealthier) society. So from a social perspective, the development of this dialect is a negative thing.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 02:07:27 PM »

It's like the use of the N word.  Blacks living in the cities, at least in my city, call themselves that all the time.  Yet if some white guy like me were to call a black the N word, he'd likely get his block knocked off for speaking an insulting racist epithet.
PeterTheAleut, the problem is within ->you<-.  Descendants of captured, tortured, discriminated Ithiopians, who's inheritance is their plight, never say the "N word" that you hear!

Please download and listen to 2Pac (Tupac Shakur) Words of Wisdom on 2PacalypseNow to better understand the difference.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 02:10:07 PM »

Why is the racist Jibrail Almuhajir allowed to make these posts?

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »

^^I didn't find anything he said racist. Did someone alert the PC police?   Roll Eyes

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »

Ebonics?  Who cares on this Forum, unless someone gets the bright idea to introduce an "ebonics" Divine Liturgy?  Stranger things have happened like Fr. Stalling and his RC "temple"  Ugh, first a "polka mass" then a "rapper mass"
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »

The allegation that someone is a racist is a very serious issue.  If it's true, then the moderators will address the situation properly.  A false charge is nothing but an ad hominem.  In the meantime, let none of us just dismiss Eleos out of hand.

-PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 03:20:03 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007, 03:44:41 PM »

I went back and read his post. Not any different than what Chris Rock has said about the difference between ghetto blacks and your average everyday black person. So, does that make Chris Rock a racist or does he get a free pass because he is black? I know Jibrail personally and he is nothing what has been charged against him here. In fact it pisses me off, so I'll leave it at that before I say something I shouldn't. It's always about the double standard.... Roll Eyes

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007, 04:30:04 PM »

an ethnic criteria
I think you mean "an ethnic criterion". Wink

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 04:43:10 PM »

I went back and read his post. Not any different than what Chris Rock has said about the difference between ghetto blacks and your average everyday black person. So, does that make Chris Rock a racist or does he get a free pass because he is black? I know Jibrail personally and he is nothing what has been charged against him here. In fact it pisses me off, so I'll leave it at that before I say something I shouldn't. It's always about the double standard.... Roll Eyes
Or what about Bill Cosby's comments a couple of years back? If you've forgotten, here's a nice recap. Cosby said essentially that AAVE is an impediment to getting a good job and advancing economically. I teach languages (English and Spanish) and I often say to the kids that like it or not, your ability to write a resume is going to be the difference between getting the interview and not. You may be the best worker in the world, but potential employers' first impressions of you will be based on your spelling and grammar. It's the same with spoken language. It may not be fair, but AAVE is not going to speak well of the person using it. They may be a fine person, good, sincere, and kind--but if their speech is such that people will associate them with drug dealers and thieves, they will not be able to advance in the world unless they use standard English. This is not racism; this is fact. I have seen white people judged the same way for using AAVE. I may have more to say on this later, but right now I, like Nacho, better take some time to cool off.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 04:43:36 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2007, 05:53:54 PM »

It may not be fair, but AAVE is not going to speak well of the person using it.

This situation is hardly unique to AAVE.  Almost all non-standard forms are considered lower prestige in most languages.  That is sort of the point and educational system - to teach people the standard literary form of the national language and/or whatever linguae francae they'll need to function in life.  But that is sort of irrelevant to this discussion.  The reality is that no amount education or integration is growing to eradicate a dialect that has been hundreds of years in the making overnight.  For that matter, there is really no need for speakers of AAVE to discontinue using in their private lives.  On the other hand, for a police officer to be familiar with AAVE (and other non-standard forms of English with which s/he may be likely to encounter) can be a very beneficial tool.  And there is a culturally sensitive way to learn it opposed to little pamphlets that may offend.  The real difficulty is learning the non-standard forms of Spanish and languages of other immigrant communities.   
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2007, 06:52:08 PM »

I think it all depends on what you mean by 'learn black English'.

(I refuse to use patronising PC big words like AAVE or Ebonics.)

Of course police need to be up on ever-changing black slang just like dialects of Spanish or however else the people they meet communicate.

That said I agree with the person who said everybody understands standard English.

Putting on a black accent and/or slang seems condescending.

Can't help thinking of 'Sanford and Son' with its white/black cop duo popping in. The running joke was the white cop would try out some piece of then-current black slang and invariably get it wrong with the black cop correcting him. Sometimes the black cop would translate what the white one was saying in standard English.

Some schools are good teaching black and other kids who speak this dialect standard English while at the same time respecting their home dialect. Around the world people unconsciously go back and forth between standard and local speech all the time. It's called code-switching. Now, instead of putting down the dialect, teachers teach kids both standard forms and to consciously code-switch between the two depending on the situation (hanging out on the street corner versus a job interview for example).

P.S. I'm a typical white guy in this: my knowledge of American black slang is both very limited and at least several years behind the times. Sort of like a stereotypical Middle American mom. By the time a word or expression filters down to my vocabulary it's not cool any more.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 06:56:50 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »

"means loud talking, going nuts whenever you're in a bad mood and not careing who's around to hear it, using expicatives as pronouns and adjectives more than the actual words, fighting, stealing, and overall butchery of the english language."

That is not the definition of Eubonics but the language of the un-educated and the "street" mentality that is pervasive in the US.  I went with my grand daughters recently to a 7-11 type store and young  white male was outside talking like my quote above with his "homeboys" but when I walked by with my granddaughters who were obviously not "Homeboys" he changed his language began to speak softly but as soon as the girls were in the store he returned to the using expicatives as pronouns and adjectives more than the actual words.  It showed me that it is really more of an act than atrue language.  Likewise I have seen elderly black women dressed for Church with small children who walking by a Black male doing prettymuch the same had the same action---my conclusion is its an act to get attention or be part of a group rather than a true language.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2007, 10:41:28 PM »

I'd like to address this allegation, but before I do let me apologize if I hurt or offended you Eleos, or anyone else for that matter.

So am I a racist? I've been trying to come up with a good explanation of where I'm coming from, and although I'll probably never satisfy all of you, here goes. The simple answer is 'NO', I am not a racist, if you mean 'someone who dislikes any or all races other than their own'. But this answer of 'NO' is too simplistic. I can't speak for any of y'all (though I suspect many feel the same), I know that I do have racist tendencies when it comes to young, urban African-Americans but I think I was clear in separating Educated Black people and blacks who regularly address themselves as niggers. I believe that all of you who have read my threads not only understand the difference, but also understand what I meant. But to further clarify my viewpoint, to be a 'nigger' or 'white trash' is a mentality, a way of thinking. I know many white folks who live well below the poverty level and live in trailers but who have never fit the description of 'white trash'. On the converse side, one can be a millionaire and still be 'white trash' (Kid Rock and Rosanne Bar come to mind). I know black youths who wear gold chains and listen to hip-hop who are not niggers. These terms have nothing to do with race or socio-economic positions.
 I have many times kissed the icon of St. Moses the Ethiopian with no reservations at all. And in a small town not far from where I live, there is a black OCA priest whom I would have no reservations addressing as Father and kissing his hand, even around my co-workers (many of whom ARE racists). As an Orthodox Christian, I don't simply believe, but know, that all people regardless of color, are made in the image of God. 

Regarding my personal views on race, I hope this clears things up a bit. Regarding my views on the booklet, well, sorry, no change there.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 10:44:37 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2007, 10:52:32 PM »

And just in case some of you smarter folks decided to skip the article that Ytterbiumanalyst posted (thanks for posting that Y), here's a little snippet that might interest you.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids, $500 sneakers for what, and won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics. They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is'... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads.... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

Cosby also referred to imprisoned Blacks. "These are not political criminals; these are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we are outraged, saying 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

Mfume, the NAACP president who was on stage with Cosby, said later that not only did he agree with Cosby, not only did he make similar points in his own speeches, but that he had just heard the same points made by the philosophers in his barbershop.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2007, 10:58:57 PM »

I know black youths who wear gold chains and listen to hip-hop who are not niggers. These terms have nothing to do with race or socio-economic positions.
Errr......... Roll Eyes

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2007, 11:14:07 PM »

Errr......... Roll Eyes
A few months back, the Detroit chapter of the NAACP held a mock funeral for the word 'nigger'. The said it was dead and buried and was a thing of the past. Fine with me. But later that night at the grocery store, a couple of young black males were talking about it (well, more like yelling because it seems as if they're incapable of using their inside voices.) Here's a cleaned up excerpt of their conversation.

"Sh*t nigga, I done seen that muh f**gin sh*t on the damn news. Them niggas is f***ked up. All burying words n sh*t.
 "Sh*t nigga, them niggaz is all **!@ @8!! in the head, sh*t."

Indeed.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2007, 11:16:32 PM »

Jibrail,

If you don't use the word "nigger" as a racist, then perhaps you could tell me how many white "niggers" you know?

I'm sorry to have to tell you, but you are racist, and you don't even realise it.

George

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2007, 11:31:59 PM »

While I did not view Gabrial's input here as 'racist' I can certainly understand that others may be offended by the repeated use of wording which is societally proscribed as being a derogatory epithet. This topic has reached an impasse as far as meaningful discussion, even for the Free-For-All board and is tempting many to violate our posting rules and resulted in reciprocal charges of ad hominem attacks. Indeed they appear to be exactly that.
As the Section Moderator I must apologize for allowing this to boil over in my absence. Our PM system is available for further private dialog bearing in mind that we have rules for communication in that venue as well.

Αριστοκλής

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: racism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: