OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:43:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irene Papas and Vangelis album  (Read 1130 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: May 23, 2003, 02:39:34 AM »

)I wanted to know if you've ever listened to this music. Vangelis is a well known new-age music performer and Irene Papas a very famous Greek actress. The album is from the early 90's I think.

The songs are traditional songs in Greek (Greek mixed with Turkish) arranged by Vangellis, and most of them talk about the Ottoman times in Greece. I was a child when I got the album, it got popular here, specially the song "The River" which was the theme of a movie (do you remember what movie?  Huh )

She also sings the Hristos Anesti, both in Greek and Turkish I think, and other modified Orthodox hymns.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 02:46:02 AM by Snoopy » Logged
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 08:15:55 AM »

On a bizarre side note.  Have you ever heard of 666, by Aphrodites' Child with Vangelis (Band leader) , Irene performed on some of the songs.  It was produced c. 1970.  It is a double album that is a musical rendition of Revelation.  Other than the 'song' Infinity, which is a protracted orgasm of the whore of Babylon IIRC, it is not too offensive, and quite interesting.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 08:20:06 AM by Oblio » Logged
uturn

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 02:18:57 PM »

Inspired by her schoolteacher parents, the native of Corinth--at a very young age--dedicated herself to reviving the interest and passion of the Greek people in the incomparable pagan dramatic works of Euripides, Sophocles, Aeschylus, and others. She is also partly responsible for reviving the interest of younger Greeks in the works of the highly controversial--and excommunicated--literary genius, Nikos Kazantzakis, author of 'Zorba,' and the 'The Last Temptatiion of Christ.'

She certainly succeeded.

Orea kyria.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 02:46:32 PM by uturn » Logged

"It follows, therefore, that imagination is a power of the soul such that, by its very nature, it has no capacity for entering the realm of union with God."--Unseen Warfare.

"For this reason the holy fathers call the devil a painter...a br
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 03:12:58 PM »

Christ is Risen!

I have heard some of this music that I downloaded off the internet.  I don't have it any more but it seems like I got (one of my favorite pieces) "+æ+¦ +¦+¦+++¦+¦+¦ -Ç+¦-â+¦+¦" the 3rd station from Holy Saturday Matins and maybe the Paschal troparion I can't recall.  I liked it.  

T

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: