OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:27:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Number of OO churches  (Read 1445 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: August 30, 2007, 09:40:50 AM »

I'm a tad confused. Normally one is told that the Oriental Orthodox Communion consists of the following 6 "sister churches":
Coptic
Armenian Apostolic
Ethiopian Tewahedo
Eritrean Tewahedo
Syriac Jacobite
Indian Malankara

But from what I understand, there are four Patriarchates within the Armenian rite. Does this not mean there are a total of 9 OO churches? Or are the Patriarchs of Cilicia, Constantinople and Jerusalem subject to the Catholicos of Armenia? And if so, why do they hold the title of Patriarch (which I always associated with leading an autocephalous church)?

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:29:01 AM »

Why and how the Armenian Orthodox Church came to have four Catholicoi is beyond my precise knowledge, but I believe the answers to such questions are inextricably tied to the rather complex political history of the Armenian nation.

What I can say with absolute confidence though is that the Armenian Orthodox Church is ultimately one local Church. The fact there are four Catholicoi does not challenge the unity of the Armenian Church; I do not believe there is any tension or divisiveness amongst the various jurisdictions within the Armenian Church; they co-operate synergically and in unity. I believe the Catholicos of Echmiadzin, who is otherwise known as the Catholicos of Armenia and of All Armenians, is the dominant Patriarch with universal jurisdiction over the Armenian Orthodox Church.

Salpy is probably in a better position to clarify and elaborate upon the matters in question; she is also, ofcourse, free to correct me if i've spoken ignorantly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:30:23 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 08:27:17 PM »

This explains it somewhat:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,8076.0.html#top

Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:05:34 AM »

Orthodox11, fairly sure Wiki has something about the Armenians so try there. Otherwise, their situation is unique due to times when their nation was split.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: