OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:37:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History of OC Net  (Read 4813 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: August 29, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »

This is just a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere on the oldests posts to OC.Net going back to 2002, or on a search.  I'm just curious about the history of OC.Net and why, how, who founded it.  Anyone have a post that explains this?   Thanks Embarrassed

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 06:46:03 PM »

Somewhere on the homepage (not the forum), I'm sure there was an article with a brief history of how OCnet started, but I can't seem to find it now.
I'll keep looking. A "history of OCnet" link on the homepage would be a great idea I think.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 07:42:51 PM »

If my memory is  Tongue it was there under the old format...I'm sure Mr. Robert can find it.

now back to NYY & the BoSox...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »

I will author a comprehensive document later since there is interest but suffice it to say...

Robert and I desired to make a website to promote Eastern Christianity and continue our knowledge of the Orthodox Church (we were Byzantine Catholics back then, and wanted to promote Church unity between Eastern Christians).  In 2001 we bought the domain byzantines.org (inspiration was from byzantines.net and byzcath.org) and started there.  Nothing really came about until Robert and I were sitting in a car discussing making a webforum.  Robert and I knew Philip (Mor Ephrem) from byzcath.org and so Philip was interested in the project as well. We went live on May 12, 2002.

Byzantines.org survived until September 2002 when Robert went to Italy.  While he was gone, Philip and I recruited Nik Stanosheck (now Fr Dcn Nikolai) to be the third administrator and we decided to make it a truly Orthodox-oriented website instead of "pan Byzantine Rite" since those professing such views could easily go to byzcath.org to post, renaming the site orthodoxchristianity.net on October 2, 2002. Nik was on the path to officially becoming Orthodox, and I was now at St Vladimir's Seminary studying about Orthodoxy to make my decision (yeah, I go all the way when I am interested in something).

Robert returned from Italy after some changes in plans and resumed duties as an Administrator.  Soon Nik decided to make a website that was more oriented towards traditionalist views, so he resigned to focus on his site euphrosynoscafe.com.

By 2003, we started to add on a moderation team since we could not handle it by ourselves, and over the next few years the current structure came into being.  In 2006, Philip resigned and we added Fr. Chris as an administrator. Over the years, both Robert and I became Orthodox officially.

Now we are just trying to develop content and the forum to be the best it can be.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:04:37 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »

I will author a comprehensive document later since there is interest but suffice it to say...

Robert and I desired to make a website to promote Eastern Christianity and continue our knowledge of the Orthodox Church (we were Byzantine Catholics back then, and wanted to promote Church unity between Eastern Christians).  In 2001 we bought the domain byzantines.org (inspiration was from byzantines.net and byzcath.org) and started there.  Nothing really came about until Robert and I were sitting in a car discussing making a webforum.  Robert and I knew Philip (Mor Ephrem) from byzcath.org and so Philip was interested in the project as well. We went live on May 12, 2002.

Byzantines.org survived until September 2002 when Robert went to Italy.  While he was gone, Philip and I recruited Nik Stanosheck (now Fr Dcn Nikolai) to be the third administrator and we decided to make it a truly Orthodox-oriented website instead of "pan Byzantine Rite" since those professing such views could easily go to byzcath.org to post, renaming the site orthodoxchristianity.net on October 2, 2002. Nik was on the path to officially becoming Orthodox, and I was now at St Vladimir's Seminary studying about Orthodoxy to make my decision (yeah, I go all the way when I am interested in something).

Robert returned from Italy after some changes in plans and resumed duties as an Administrator.  Soon Nik decided to make a website that was more oriented towards traditionalist views, so he resigned to focus on his site euphrosynoscafe.com.

By 2003, we started to add on a moderation team since we could not handle it by ourselves, and over the next few years the current structure came into being.  In 2006, Philip resigned and we added Fr. Chris as an administrator. Over the years, both Robert and I became Orthodox officially.

Now we are just trying to develop content and the forum to be the best it can be.

Thank you Anastasios for the explanation.  It's amazing where things start and where God leads them.  I really enjoy the forum so I'm glad you do jump in with both feet or we wouldn't have OC.Net.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:08:37 PM »

There was some great stuff between 2002 & 2005...how bout a section "The Bestest of OCnet or The Chronicles of OCnet...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »

Since we're discussing OC.net history, I thought I should point out that we're at the 1-year anniversary of the turk-hack of our beloved site.

It's been good to see the board bounce back, especially in the last 2 months (2nd best two-month stretch for posting ever on this board).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:18:11 PM »

Moderators or Those In The Know,

I thought I'd use this thread to piggy-back a question about a practice OC Net used to employ but, seemingly, no longer does.  So OK, if you visit some old posts, I think older than '05, when you look at the names of people who started the particular thread, their names are in black.  I clicked on the thread and under their names it reads 'Guest'.   Just curious, but why don't we still do that? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:58:53 PM »

**Bump**  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »

If someone has a name blacked out and it says Guest under it, they deregistered back when that was possible, or their account was deleted because of a database corruption issue.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: