OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 11:06:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildfires in Greece  (Read 834 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: August 28, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6966154.stm

Things are really getting bad over in Greece.   It's just horrible to read about the poor children and the terror they suffered.   Does anyone have information whether any monasteries have been damaged or evacuated?  My knowledge of Greek geography is poor, but isn't the Holy Mountain on the other side of the peninsula?  It hasn't been affected by the fire correct?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »

Mt Athos is well away from the Peloponese, so there is not a dnager att his time from this set of forest fires.

I have not yet heard of any monasteries being directly damaged, but I have heard of several village churches being destroyed.

To help keep things reasonably well organized, I'm linking this thread regarding AHEPA's relief efforts here, and then locking this thread, hoping to drive discussion on the AHEPA thread and thereby increasing visibility to their efforts:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=12623.0

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:09:31 AM »

isn't the Holy Mountain on the other side of the peninsula?  It hasn't been affected by the fire correct?
Wrong peninsula.
The Peninsula of the Holy Mountain is much more north.
If you look at the map of Greece below, the Peloponese (where the fires are) is that hand-shaped piece of land to the South with four "fingers", the second "finger" of which points towards Crete.
If you follow the East Coast of Greece upwards, you come to Thessaloniki. To the south-east of Thessaloniki you see another "hand" with three fingers. The Northernmost "finger" of this "hand" is the Peninsula of the Holy Mountain.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: