OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 11:43:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Synaxariums?  (Read 5883 times) Average Rating: 0
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« on: August 24, 2007, 04:45:56 AM »

Just wondering if anyone knows a website (or websites) where I can compare the synaxariums of different Churches?

Also, is it possible to obtain hard copies and/or virtual editions of the synaxariums of various Churches?

Thank you.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:51:17 PM »

sorry didymus but just curious what is a Synaxarium?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:39:33 AM »

sorry didymus but just curious what is a Synaxarium?

Listing of saints in order of each's feastday. May include also the Lives of the Saints as well.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:52:22 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

Didymus,

You can find an online Coptic Synaxarium here.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »

Perhaps prodromas was confused by the strange plural used in this thread's title. The plural of Synaxarium is Synaxaria.

And as long as I'm being pedantic: Why even use "Synaxarium." Seems like an unnecessary latinization of the original "Synaxarion".

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 03:28:03 PM »

And as long as I'm being pedantic: Why even use "Synaxarium." Seems like an unnecessary latinization of the original "Synaxarion".

I'll raise you one on the pedantic level.  Why still use the Latin transliteration system when the majority of people using the translitterated word are Anglophones with no knowledge of Greek - hence there is no reason to retain Greek orthographic conventions.  ι, η, υ, and οι could all be transliterated into English as "i" rather than i, e, y, and oi.  This is even more important with ευ and αυ being transliterated as ev/ef and av/af rather than eu and au. 
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »

Personally I have no problems with a bit of Latin. After all, they to used to be Orthodox.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »

Personally I have no problems with a bit of Latin. After all, they to used to be Orthodox.

I remember chanting the hymn (in Gregorian style) of Coelius Sedulius entitled A solis ortus cardine after the Liturgy ended.  The hymn is pre-schism and a very beautiful one with a great melody.  Lutherans use the same hymn melody but in the vernacular and, I think, Catholics will still use it on occasion.  However,  because I used Latin that one time for forty seconds, I was labled as the "Papist".  Unfortunately, the title has stuck so now I'm doing penance by chanting as much Greek as possible.  I have not yet been accused of being a Phanar agent (not trying to step on your toes, GiC  Wink) infiltrating the Antiochians. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 11:27:04 PM »

Let's get back on topic please!

I don't think you will find one copy in an online form in one place on the internet. As a matter of fact I don't know of many places online that have complete a Synaxarion. You will find bits and pieces of the information on most of the jurisdictional websites in America. There are a couple of printed versions in different forms that are available in the English languages that you can get at any of the Orthodox book retailers.

Joseph
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 08:29:17 AM »

Perhaps prodromas was confused by the strange plural used in this thread's title. The plural of Synaxarium is Synaxaria.

Nope just an ignorant fool is I, lol

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 02:40:43 PM »

Let's get back on topic please!

I don't think you will find one copy in an online form in one place on the internet. As a matter of fact I don't know of many places online that have complete a Synaxarion. You will find bits and pieces of the information on most of the jurisdictional websites in America. There are a couple of printed versions in different forms that are available in the English languages that you can get at any of the Orthodox book retailers.

It is not a Synaxarion per say, but the Great Horologion published by HTM has the dismissal hymns and kontakia for every day and feast days in the calendar.  Some saints, especially some of the newer Slavic ones, may be omitted and even those deemed "iffy" by the Greeks, e.g. St. Augustine.  But there is an explanation of each saint and feast.  If we do read from the Synaxarion at Matins following the Intercession, we do read the HTM version.

I do know that the LA diocese of the Antiochian archdiocese has the complete rubrics for Matins for all Sundays and feastdays, including the reading from the Synaxarion.  It is always marked as "abridged" so I'm not sure where they are getting their info.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:23:28 AM »

pensateomnia, I use it because I speak English which is a language influenced by Latin. Thank you for letting me know the plural as I had not heard it before and did not think of this less common suffix.

Cephas, thank you however I already have e-Katamarous on CD Smiley May I please ask if the first words you use are Coptic?

arimethea, thank you for redirecting the topic:)

All, Can anyone then please tell me, is the "The Prologue of Ohrid" (see: http://www.pomog.org/prologue.shtml or http://www.westsrbdio.org/ads/prolog.html) a synaxarium or not?

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »

Can anyone then please tell me, is the "The Prologue of Ohrid" (see: http://www.pomog.org/prologue.shtml or http://www.westsrbdio.org/ads/prolog.html) a synaxarium or not?
There are elements to the Prologue that are a Synaxarion but it goes beyond just being a Synaxarion because of the commentary and sermons that are found within the book.

Joseph
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 09:20:20 AM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

Cephas, thank you however I already have e-Katamarous on CD Smiley May I please ask if the first words you use are Coptic?

Oh okay, my bad then.  Smiley

Yes, the first words I use are Coptic.  They mean 'peace and grace'.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 11:19:25 AM »

Cephas, no bad on your part thanks mate. Thought we had heard your first words yet wasn't sure as our local mission is almost entirely composed of Australian natives (if I may put it that way). May peace and grace also be with your spirit Smiley

arimethea, thank you. Could you clarify exactly what you mean though? How does the commentary go beyond being a synaxarium?

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 02:52:46 PM »

Could you clarify exactly what you mean though? How does the commentary go beyond being a synaxarium?
A Synaxarion is a listing of saints for a day and a short spiritual biography. The Prologue of Ochrid includes sermons and other spiritual writings that would normally not be found in a true Synaxarion.   

Joseph
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 07:32:32 AM »

Would it be fair to say that it's a Synaxarium with additional information then?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 08:04:05 AM »

Would it be fair to say that it's a Synaxarium with additional information then?

Yes and no... Yes, insofar as it is a listing of saints with additional information (long bio, sermons, etc. as arimethea pointed out); no, because a Synaxarion is technically an authoritative list for a particular Autocephalous church, and these other compilations (like the Prologue) are not.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 01:25:58 PM »

Yes and no... Yes, insofar as it is a listing of saints with additional information (long bio, sermons, etc. as arimethea pointed out); no, because a Synaxarion is technically an authoritative list for a particular Autocephalous church, and these other compilations (like the Prologue) are not.

A Synaxarion is something by usage made perfect.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »

True.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 11:24:07 AM »

Forgive my ignorance please but could you clarify what this means please? Thank you.

cleveland, thank you for your assistance. Please say if you know where/how I might obtain copies of the synaxariums of various Churches (other than the Coptic which I have). Are you able to give me a Serbian Synaxarium reading for October 18 (Julian/Church Calendar) also please? Thank you.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 12:45:51 PM »

cleveland, thank you for your assistance. Please say if you know where/how I might obtain copies of the synaxariums of various Churches (other than the Coptic which I have). Are you able to give me a Serbian Synaxarium reading for October 18 (Julian/Church Calendar) also please? Thank you.

http://www.serbianunity.net/spc/kalendar.html (Electronic Calendar)

http://www.westsrbdio.org/ads/Calendar07.html  (Purchase a copy of the 2007 Calendar)

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 08:01:49 PM »

You can find a mostly complete listing on the Goarch website under Calendar (www.goarch.org/en/chapel/).  If you read Greek, then a complete set of the books of the month (which contain the Synaxarion listings in them) are at http://www.tcgalaska.com/glt/Polytonic/.

---------------------
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »

Friul, thanks for the links yet if I click on the saints for that day on the 'kalendar' it then takes me through to the Prologue again even though the Prologue lists more saints than are listed on the day. Does this mean that not all saints are listed but only the first few?

cleveland, thanks for the links too Wink

Tags: synaxarium saints synaxarion synaxaristes 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: