OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Muslims worship the same god as Christians?  (Read 7579 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2008, 01:16:56 PM »

I think fundamentally, or in general Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God.  The God of Abraham, the Creator of the heavens and the earth.  However the difference between the three is their understanding of God, they differ in the expression of who and what is this God they are worshipping, but it is the same God.

I am not familiar with the spiritual aspects of the Jewish faith, however I am quite familiar with the Islamic spiritual aspects, known as Sufism.  The methods by which one attains the connection to God is the generally the same between the Orthodox tradition and the Sunni Sufis of which I have studied. 

The nous "the eye of the soul" in the Orthodox tradition is the spiritual faculty by which one directly experiences or sees God.
The ruh "the soul" in the Sunni Sufi (Tasawwuf) tradition is the spiritual faculty by which one directly experiences or sees God.

The spiritual books of both almost mirror each other in regards to the means by which one activates the nous or ruh in order to experience God directly, or course the terminology is slightly different but the meaning is the same.

In conclusion:

1) If one wants to believe there is a difference between the God of Islam, Judiaism and Christianity, then one will be able to establish proofs for that.

2) If one wants to believe there is no difference between the God of Islam, Judiaism and Christianity, then one will be able to establish proofs for that.

I am personally convinced of the second, and I don't believe one will be damned to hell for hold either belief.

I also personally believe that if the Islamic propheisies are true, then the future Islamic leader Al Mahdi and his followers will give his allegence to Jesus when he descend, so in that day, according to Islamic propheises Muslims and Christian will both be one all followers of Lord Jesus Christ.

Then how would you explain 'No one comes to the Father except through Me' statement that our Lord said?   Was this just a momentary idea of His or was he serious. Did Christ really mean this?  How would this statement impact the Jews and Muslims?  I am well aware of the "mercies of God" answers for this, but I am trying to get an answer to is: why should any of us care what religion we belong to as long as it's God centered?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2008, 02:51:25 PM »

Then how would you explain 'No one comes to the Father except through Me' statement that our Lord said? 

There are a million ways to "Me".

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2008, 03:47:12 PM »

Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?  NO.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »

Username! locutus est, causa finita est.   Roll Eyes
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2008, 04:54:42 PM »

Would it be unorthodox to believe otherwise?
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »

It would be unchristian to believe otherwise.  If you do, then you might as well be Muslim.  There is no other god as our God. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »

It would be unchristian to even be concerned about other ways to God. We know how to come to Christ; we do so in every Liturgy. If there are other ways to Him, great; but when ours is presented to us every week, what need have we of knowing whether there is another, more difficult path?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »

... what need have we of knowing whether there is another, more difficult path?

Not that the path to Christ as it is in the church is easy...

Although that was always a conflict for me.  My path is easy my burden is light, but you live it and it doesn't quite feel that way...

I'm sure there's a thread on it somewhere on the forum.  Time to do some searching! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 01:53:13 PM »

It would be unchristian to even be concerned about other ways to God. We know how to come to Christ; we do so in every Liturgy. If there are other ways to Him, great; but when ours is presented to us every week, what need have we of knowing whether there is another, more difficult path?

This is the most correct answer. And the answer to JoeS' Question:

Then how would you explain 'No one comes to the Father except through Me' statement that our Lord said?   Was this just a momentary idea of His or was he serious. Did Christ really mean this?  How would this statement impact the Jews and Muslims?  I am well aware of the "mercies of God" answers for this, but I am trying to get an answer to is: why should any of us care what religion we belong to as long as it's God centered?

Jesus is the way, and we should only concern ourselves with this.  Because in all honesty, we don't know the answer and we should leave that judgement with the Lord himself.

A wise man once says, "Be avid for that which benefits."  And the only that benefits a believer are those matters which pretain him and the means by which he follows the Lord's commendments.

On the last day when A believer stands before the Lord, he isn't going to be asked, "Do Muslims worship the same God is you?"

A believer however might be asked, "Did you worship the one true God?"

Judgement is for the Lord not us, our business is to adhere to His commendments.

So I guess the best answer is to refrain our judgement and be concerned with ourselves and what we are doing to please our Lord.

And the Lord knows best.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 08:16:30 PM »

Wouldn't the Lords greatest commandment love thy neighbour be a more pertinent commandment to follow? But i guess if you worshiped the one true God then you would have already followed that.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Tags: Islam 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: