OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:42:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: african americans  (Read 2735 times) Average Rating: 0
Alton

« on: August 20, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »

hello everyone
would you say there are alot or alittle bit of african american orthodox christians out there?
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »

I think in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church you'll find a lot.  I'm not sure about the others.

Alton

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »

i live in newyork and do not see alot of orthodox here
thanks for your reply
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »

There are actually lots of Orthodox in New York, both Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox.  The Ethiopian Church belongs to the Oriental Orthodox family of churches.

The only Ethiopian Church I could find in New York is this:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/medhanealem/

Edit:  I just found this directory:  http://www.prairienet.org/~dxmoges/dire.htm
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 09:51:46 PM by Salpy » Logged

Alton

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:54:43 PM »

i'm sorry i mean't african american orthodox in new york
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 10:04:23 PM »

It could be I'm not understanding you.  It's late in the day and that happens to me.   Smiley

Do you mean an actual church called "African American Orthodox?"  Or do you mean an Orthodox Church with African Americans in it?

Actually, depending on your definition of Africa, the Coptic Church is centered in Egypt, which I guess is in Africa:

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/directory/church.php?search_zip=&dist=50&search_state=NY&submit.x=20&submit.y=8

However, if what you are looking for is an Eastern Orthodox Church, like Russian, Greek or Serbian, there are lots of those in New York:
http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/sr/geo_gate.php

I don't know how many African Americans would be in those churches, though.  Perhaps someone else has more information.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 10:12:09 PM »

There is a parish in NJ that was I believe Protestant that converted to Orthodoxy en masse recently.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 10:22:24 PM »

That is so cool.  I love hearing stories like that.  Is there anything on the internet about it, to which you can link?

Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 01:48:03 AM »

hello everyone
would you say there are alot or alittle bit of african american orthodox christians out there?
I don't know what "alot and "alittle bit" means.   Huh

Coptic and Ethiopian are both ancient African churches with very large presences in America.  The majority of "African Americans" are descendants of slaves from the atlantic slave trade.  There is a movement within this particular African diaspora towards orthodoxy.  I don't know how large it is, but Im sure they could use help.  There are prominent African American community leaders and scholars who have converted to orthodoxy.
Info found here:
Brotherhood of St Moses the Black
St Mary of Egypt Orthodox Church

There was a movement in the early part of the 20th century that led to the formation of a non-canonical African Orthodox church in america.  There were talks with the OCA about joining them to the greater eastern orthodox body that didnt fully pan out because of the turmoil of the times.  I know of one parish that still exists from this movement, but most ended up joining the African Methodist Episcopal denomination which also formed out of the same movement (Marcus Garvey UNIA, consequently whose birthday just passed a few days ago), and many joined the recently formed Pentecostal movement which besides being a religious movement, was also a racial unity movement.  Many African slave descendants seek orthodoxy to reconnect with their severed roots.  I have a several relatives that are descendants of captured slaves brought to america, when we have larger family gatherings they have told me they know friends that are converts through the work of our coptic brothers, including one who became a priest.

All orthodox in america descended from Afrikans.  The orthodox church is the product of afrikans fulfilling God's commandments!

Lord have mercy
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 01:51:35 AM by Eleos » Logged

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:32:19 AM »

There are multiple Orthodox Christians who are Americans of African descent in my GOA parish.

And, I'm serving in Birmingham, AL---if there's African Americans in this parish, I'm sure there are African Americans in many parishes.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 04:54:54 AM »

Alton, just a warning to watch out for the excommunicated Ethiopian Orthodox bishops in America.
Please ensure you check whether or not they are in communion with Abuna Paulos (aka Abuna Baulos) the Patriarch of Ethiopia.
Farewell mate.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: