OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 10:14:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family Ties Key to Happy Kids  (Read 1701 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: August 20, 2007, 07:13:03 AM »

Family Ties Key to Happy Kids

So you're between the ages of 13 and 24. What makes you happy? A worried, weary parent might imagine the answer to sound something like this: Sex, drugs, a little rock 'n' roll. Maybe some cash, or at least the car keys.

Turns out the real answer is quite different. Spending time with family was the top answer to that open-ended question, according to an extensive survey — more than 100 questions asked of 1,280 people ages 13-24 — conducted by The Associated Press and MTV on the nature of happiness among America's young people.

Next was spending time with friends, followed by time with a significant other. And even better for parents: Nearly three-quarters of young people say their relationship with their parents makes them happy.

"They're my foundation," says Kristiana St. John, 17, a high-school student from Queens in New York. "My mom tells me that even if I do something stupid, she's still going to love me no matter what. Just knowing that makes me feel very happy and blessed."

Other results are more disconcerting. While most young people are happy overall with the way their lives are going, there are racial differences: the poll shows whites to be happier, across economic categories, than blacks and Hispanics. A lot of young people feel stress, particularly those from the middle class, and females more than males.

You might think money would be clearly tied to a general sense of happiness. But almost no one said "money" when asked what makes them happy, though people with the highest family incomes are generally happier with life. However, having highly educated parents is a stronger predictor of happiness than income.

And sex? Yes, we were getting to that. Being sexually active actually leads to less happiness among 13-17 year olds, according to the survey. If you're 18 to 24, sex might lead to more happiness in the moment, but not in general.

From the body to the soul: Close to half say religion and spirituality are very important. And more than half say they believe there is a higher power that has an influence over things that make them happy. Beyond religion, simply belonging to an organized religious group makes people happier.

And parents, here's some more for you: Most young people in school say it makes them happy. Overwhelmingly, young people think marriage would make them happy and want to be married some day. Most also want to have kids.

Finally, when asked to name their heroes, nearly half of respondents mentioned one or both of their parents. The winner, by a nose: Mom...

On a completely different note, I think that at least one of the answers reveals how our society forces false ideas onto people. It's often said that "money doesn't make you happy," but generally speaking more money does make you happier.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:26:57 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:24:15 AM »

These results make perfect sense to me. --G.

Love never fails.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:00:15 PM »

Having contact with kids 13-18 five days a week, this is exactly what I would expect. People do seem to have a terribly negative view of kids, but they continually surprise me by the goodness they are able to show. When they talk with their friends, they mostly talk about family and friends. Money is a means to an end--usually spending time with family and friends. The best thing I am able to observe is how they are able to selflessly help a friend in need, whether it's carrying books or help with an assignment or whatever, even at the cost of their own study time. Things like these reassure me that, for the most part, these kids are going to turn out just fine--despite the stress they cause me sometimes.  Smiley

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »

Things like these reassure me that, for the most part, these kids are going to turn out just fine--despite the stress they cause me sometimes.  Smiley

Unfortunately, however, many of these kids carry hidden wounds that are not quite revealed by studies like this one. They say that they like spending time with family - but many of them actually have no such opportunity often...

Love never fails.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:21:27 PM »

I know this all too well.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: family happiness 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: